Star Trek Online

Since there wasnt a topic for this up coming game I thought it was about time it got one. Since its some 20 days away from coming out.

The game looks great in my eyes.

Heres the link to the official site.

STAR TREK ONLINE

So I got some questions and would appreciate any help.

I would like some recommandation for a good download site. Since I doubt that I will find it in a shop here any time soon.

As far as I have checked now I have options like steam and direct to drive.

So any advice on which one to chose would be big help.

Second question would be aimed to then many Star Trek fans at FDM. Is anyone planing on getting this game? Would love to join up with some of you. Go on away missions and engage in ship to ship battles.

Thanks guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the game 2 hours ago. Am torrent downloading the game so I can start playing it.

Went over the manual and so far it look super super cool.

Cant wait to try the dual avatar concept and play a game in which you command a squad. :)

So I will keep you all up to date with how it starts and how it goes.

Hope other of you Star Trek fans plan to jump in.

This game looks to be something special! :P

The SyFy channel was running a promotion for this game. I might do occasional multiplayer, but I don't forsee a game that will be fun to play in multiplayer on the horizon. I'll be continuing my personal gaming projects for the next several months or possibly years.

Well I have been playing the game for 2 days now, so I think its time to give my start thoughts on it. :)

First of this is my first MMO so anything I write is based on how I so this game.

About the PC demand I will say that my average PC runs it like a charm. Graphics look great so that will be about the hardware as I see it. No lag runs great.

Character creations. There are a LOT of options here you can play around for hours making your avatar just the way you like it. But this doesnt end with your own look. The game has the Starship aspect which mean youi can spend a lot of time creating the ideal ship you like. So if you thought that was it you must not forget your bridge crew. You can design them in detail almost as much as you can design your own avatar.

Now about skill points and everything else. This is a very original game. I really cant say I have played a game like this before. This in a way comes from the games dual avatar nature(your character for ground missions and your ships for space combat). So you are building your character to be able to fight on the ground with weapons/hand to hand and to be a space commander at the same time. This means you have to think about every point you spend. Will you spend it on a space skill or on a ground skill.

Now I will say something about the other original thing. Thats your bridge crew. You can have a tactical, science and engineering officer at any given time. And you spend bridge crew points to level them. Every time you do that you get better options on them when you use them in space or ground. Example a tactical officer can use photon bombs on ground missions or in space he has the skill lets say in my case to fire more photon torpedoes.

One more thing is the gear you find and shop for. This is gear you can have on your character like phasors shields armor and a lot more. And theres gear you have for your ship like canons torpedoes engines shields and many more.

Simple put the complexity of making the perfect character will take some time for me to get used to.

Now about quests(they are called episodes here like in the tv show, how cool is that :thumbsup:). I have doen some so fare and they are very fun. I love the fact that they are complex even at the start and that they are not just go kill this or that. They have that star trek feel. You need to listen to what the NPCs say even answer correctly to resolve problems. A great feature which I came to experience first hand was the auto team up system. This means that the episode you are doing if others are at the same stage as you they will auto join you so you can all complete it together. Normally you can turn it of but in a way this really helps when you start a quest that is more then you can handle on your own.

Well time to go back in game. I am having a blast time to sink some birds of prey. :)

New info coming soon.

• 1 year later...

Free to play? How's that possible... will we have to pay for ingame items or something? If it's online, how are the servers paid for?

It's going to work like every other games that became free to play recently, in-game store (microtransactions), and it's been working on those games so far.

Max

• 2 months later...