Rune Fobia...

Having played several characters now, I find that I'm going through the entire Sacred 2 campaign (silver and gold, typically) reading anywhere from 1 to 6 runes for each skill. It seems like doing anything more than that causes too big of an increase in regen times, with minimal benefit to the effects of the skill. Does anybody else play this way? Frankly, I find the whole thing almost counter intuitive... having said that, I would imagine I would have to read more ruins once I get to higher difficulty levels, yes?

Having played several characters now, I find that I'm going through the entire Sacred 2 campaign (silver and gold, typically) reading anywhere from 1 to 6 runes for each skill. It seems like doing anything more than that causes too big of an increase in regen times, with minimal benefit to the effects of the skill. Does anybody else play this way? Frankly, I find the whole thing almost counter intuitive... having said that, I would imagine I would have to read more ruins once I get to higher difficulty levels, yes?

The regen / Rune system in Sacred 2 is complex. Using +Combat art from jewels and gear have different affect on Combat Art than runes. there is some methods to each Character that can really take advantage of Combat art levels. and the modifications you choose have varying affects based on Combat art levels as well. it can get very complex :D The Wiki can explain much better here Combat_Arts

lol, you say counterintuitive... lemme guess you coming from Diablo ? :) I never played it, so the system of balance to get power to me seems great. Ì started playing Sacred years ago, and right off the bat we had to balance power of runes with regens.

I have never perceived of a rune as simply giving more power...but instead something that gives power at cost. Ayuh, it is tricky.

It`s a hugely deep system, and there`s an evil reason why yer back ;)

I would say... only eat a rune if you have to increase your strength of the Combat Art and you have no other way of doing it. Eating a rune is a full 100 percent regen...socketing is a perentage of that, and finally getting damage from other sources coudl be even more efficient.

Eating runes I consider to be a last resort to increase damage or power... use sparingly ...and btw scrappy ... welcome back to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

Heya,

gogo pretty much said it all. Only one thing to add.... when you get decent RpH, start reading runes. With the RpH fix, 200 runes in a Combat Art is not a problem at all :)

Greetz

Heya,

gogo pretty much said it all. Only one thing to add.... when you get decent RpH, start reading runes. With the RpH fix, 200 runes in a Combat Art is not a problem at all :)

Greetz

At later levels of course. ;)

Thanks for the replies! Solid info as always, gogo... and no, I don't have the expansion. What the heck is RpH?!

You're right though, I played both Diablo and Diablo II for years. Not quite the same skill system though... much more simplistic, pre 1.10 patch. Post 1.10 patch, it's a fairly complex system (skills are made more powerful based on the number of points you've sunk into similar skills - ie leveling low level skills early on still has an impact on your character when you hit higher levels). Still very different systems though.

And yes... it's always nice to come back here! :) So many great people in one place, you know? :)

As an aside, I'm playing a High Elf using all 3 aspects. In everyone's experience, is it best to take Lore or Focus for obtaining modification points? I don't really want to take both for all three aspects, as this would spread my skills too thin. Thoughts?

Edited by Scrappy McSlap

Ok, I've got a question. I've been reading guides and all and it seems to me like everyone is doing the one rune thing to keep regen times low. Could someone give me a simpler explanation for how this works? Here's the scenario.

I have mastered a focus and a lore with 75 hard points. I don't have any items or armor that loweres regen time or gives me a + to any Combat Art. I am also not using CD Without any outside manipulation of items/armor, is it still possible to get regen times down to 2 seconds or less without going over the highest Combat Art without penalty level?

hrhr..

First off, I can't believe I get to be the first to answer a question once in a while!

RpH: Regeneration per Hit (measured in sec), meaning - if you don't already know - every successful weapon hit makes your regen timers jump by however many sec's of RpH you have. Means if you have 0.5s of RpH and two successful hits per second, a Combat Art that would normally need 14s to reload (not cool down) would regenerate 1s faster per second, so twice as fast, so 7s.

Hope that helped, if you didn't already know what it was. . .

Maybe my always being too late on scene to attempt an explanation is a good thing. v.v

As for a HE with all three aspects, ..., If I had to choose one, I'd take Focus over Lore, as you could take Ancient Magic and Combat Discipline for damage and try, I guess, to find enough +Crit and +CastSpeed items to compensate ...

But there are no items for +SpellLvlWithoutPenalty in Sacred2 now are there? (or did I miss something in Ice and Blood?! :D )

Although, frankly, I'd wait for other people to answer this question as well, as any advice from a player who has yet to see MaxLevel should be taken with a grain of salt... ;P

hrhr..

First off, I can't believe I get to be the first to answer a question once in a while!

RpH: Regeneration per Hit (measured in sec), meaning - if you don't already know - every successful weapon hit makes your regen timers jump by however many sec's of RpH you have. Means if you have 0.5s of RpH and two successful hits per second, a Combat Art that would normally need 14s to reload (not cool down) would regenerate 1s faster per second, so twice as fast, so 7s.

Hope that helped, if you didn't already know what it was. . .

Maybe my always being too late on scene to attempt an explanation is a good thing. v.v

As for a HE with all three aspects, ..., If I had to choose one, I'd take Focus over Lore, as you could take Ancient Magic and Combat Discipline for damage and try, I guess, to find enough +Crit and +CastSpeed items to compensate ...

But there are no items for +SpellLvlWithoutPenalty in Sacred2 now are there? (or did I miss something in Ice and Blood?! :D )

Although, frankly, I'd wait for other people to answer this question as well, as any advice from a player who has yet to see MaxLevel should be taken with a grain of salt... ;P

That seems right too me...focus over lore to raise spell levels higher since higher level spells will also mean higher damage. And regen per hit is possibly more simply explained in that for everyy succesful melee hit (most melee combat arts too) it takes however much time off your regen timers (cooldowns excluded) as you have equipped. It doesnt work woth spells though.

Well there are tons of us that have yet to see level 200. as for skill choices:

Focus raises the Combat Art level with out penalty and lowers the regen penalty for the whole aspect. so you can add +combat arts, runes to increase Combat Art effectiveness. and raise the mod bonuses

Lore increases the base damage of the Combat Art and increases its execution speed.

So how to choose. I can find jewels and runes to read or socket to increase damage and execution speed. but lowering regens is tough. to raise a Combat Art above Focus level it takes 10 runes to go 1 Combat Art level, but you get hit with 10 runes of regen penalty. so raising the focus level and lowers regen usually wins over damage and execution speed. Also don't neglect the 3 mods each Combat Art gets. Most Combat Arts have mods that increase significantly with level.

The only time I would ever think to use Lore only would be if I never planned to increase Combat Art level beyond 1 rune and had some other way to lower regens like rph, concentration, or Armor lore.

And yes... it's always nice to come back here! :) So many great people in one place, you know? :)

Don't forget our poutine weekends ^^

Regarding the rune use... my rule of thumb was, only eat one rune for a Combat Art that was my prime... in the case of my Dryad this would have been Darting Assault. There was more "give" on Combat Art's that I was using for Area of Effect's or mob bombs... depending on the build, I would experiment with putting in more runes as long as I felt comfy with the regens. And that's probably the most fun thing in the game... getting the hugest amount of damage, strength from your Combat Art''s while balancing in the shortest regen.

The Detheya's set for Dryad is so powerful. Tons of Combat Art' levels built in plus plus skills...thing is to wear it, was like a circus act of balancing to run all the bonus Combat Art levels coming from the suit. I'd usually never be happy with wearing full detheya's set until at around level 75 80 when I could get the regen for my darting down to about .6 or .5

However...with Expansion everything changd. All of a sudden if you had good traders you could socket beautiful rph gear with great secondary mods... and in one or two hits you could do miracles.

With Expansion fixing RPH and with good traders... all of a sudden we didn't have to just eat one rune anymore... we could start reading a bunch... and the best part was... we could wear full detheya's with that sick leech percent bonus at around level 30 if we were lucky enough to get the drops and get good rph.

Damage just began to zing, and all that plus all skills which we were doing pre-expansion went out the door, as nothing could really get to her anymore...cept for bosses. ^^ Bosses are always dangerous, and having perhaps other armor to switch to for us would help when dealing with their huge damage.

:)

gogo