Best Item Mod Recipe against Bosses

Putting magic in a socket as a damage converter to do the weaken effect depends on the used Combat Art's. If the used Combat Art has an attribute reduction of more than 20% the weaken may block the higher reduction of the Combat Art.

If the enemy is least protected to magic the balance is changed a bit towards socketing magic.

-chance that enemy can evade x% and chance that enemy cannot evade x% (too lazey to look up english names)

The first seems to have a bigger impact against normal mobs. At Bosses the later seems to get better. My guess would be that if an enemy has evade than this evade is reduced by the first. While without evade the enemy gets a negative evasion in the hit formula.

The second seems to be added to the hit chance somehow. I would add at least one or two of them, very nice for normal left click attacks.

Weapon Combat Art's seem to have a buildin base x attack value which climbs with combat art level. To make best use of base x it should be enhanced by x% attack value. So socketing blacksmith whet may actually work with high Combat Art's cause of RpH.

Another idea is to socket base damage: damage x-x and have it boosted by Combat Art, tactics, whetting, ....

I did think on Weaken a while about interfering with other forms of attribute debuffs and although there's a chance that could happen it would still improve the overall total chance of attribute debuffing from the coupling. Ultimately I think in most cases the strategy will work well but I can add some suggestions regarding that scenario. Thanx!

You bring up an interesting point about the two anti evasions. Personally I haven't seen, or looked for, the difference and it's really cool that you mention it. I did toy around with them in tandem and in every case "Opponents chance to evade" seemed to be the most effective. There was a topic regarding this on the SIF which I did a bit of testing for. I wouldn't be surprised though if some Bosses were more affected by the other anti evade. Chance that opponents cannot evade attacks. Would be cool if that were the case and that we could list which Bosses were most affected by each anti evade.

As for building on base attack values could it be that most sets would provide that? Personally I try to avoid using slots to improve chance to hit as much as possible in order to focus purely on damage.

Disregard armour? Chance for unresisted damage...not sure if it works with spells though. And if you need to make sure your cth is higher than normal so -opponents chance to evade and +chance they cannot evade attacks.

Disregard armour works with Source Warden spells, on PS3. Assuming that it works for other spells as well. Cannot say for Ice and Blood, obviously.

The amount of work to get a decent disregard is not worth it. A lot easier to carry 4 weapons for that effect.

Oooohhhhh... you forgot stunning. This would be more important for lower-level toons farming in Niob, if I am reading this thread correctly :superman: (low-level legendaries, anyone?)

Ah yes, chance to stun is great against bosses especially for fragile toons that can't handle much beating at once.

Ah, I'm surprised that disregard works well with your Source Warden spells essjayehm. Lucky you! I did try disregard with my High Elf's Cobalt Strike against Olms but it didn't have any effect sadly. I haven't tried in Ice & Blood though... I'll give that another try. Still. I'm recommending that spells not be used against bosses since Leech life from opponents does not work with spells. This is pretty much going to be a "no spells" guide.

Stun is a really great mod. Very effective and lots of fun. But for a highly optimized Boss killer it would probably only get in the way. From what I've seen of my Shadow Warrior, gogo's Dryad and several other vet player builds a boss battle using an optimized build is only going to take 8-12 seconds so stun won't really be a much needed requirement. If your main Combat Art or armor has it built in then that will be great! But I wouldn't give up a slot for stun. ;)

Putting magic in a socket as a damage converter to do the weaken -chance that enemy can evade x% and chance that enemy cannot evade x% (too lazey to look up english names)

The first seems to have a bigger impact against normal mobs. At Bosses the later seems to get better. My guess would be that if an enemy has evade than this evade is reduced by the first. While without evade the enemy gets a negative evasion in the hit formula.

The second seems to be added to the hit chance somehow. I would add at least one or two of them, very nice for normal left click attacks.

You bring up an interesting point about the two anti evasions. Personally I haven't seen, or looked for, the difference and it's really cool that you mention it. I did toy around with them in tandem and in every case "Opponents chance to evade" seemed to be the most effective. There was a topic regarding this on the SIF which I did a bit of testing for. I wouldn't be surprised though if some Bosses were more affected by the other anti evade. Chance that opponents cannot evade attacks. Would be cool if that were the case and that we could list which Bosses were most affected by each anti evade.

Ah, I'm surprised that disregard works well with your Source Warden spells essjayehm. Lucky you! I did try disregard with my High Elf's Cobalt Strike against Olms but it didn't have any effect sadly. I haven't tried in Ice & Blood though... I'll give that another try. Still. I'm recommending that spells not be used against bosses since Leech life from opponents does not work with spells. This is pretty much going to be a "no spells" guide.

Firstly - Disregard and spells. That was a conclusion I came to when I noticed Firey Ember damage. They hit about once per second or so, and at the time of my observation, each hit was doing about 15% of the monster's health, but sometimes it did ~50% damage! I took into account some other factors (monsters' fire armour, criticals) but I cannot really rule out burning (esp. with Damage Lore with this character). So either the extra damage was coming from disregard, or from the secondary effect, and I cannot imagine the burn being the sole reason for that much increase.... so I have assumed it was disregard. Far from perfect testing, I realize, maybe I should try with Icy to see if I get the same occasional jump in damage.

For the 2 types of anti-evasion

- if you have Chance that Opponents Cannot Evade (COCE) 100%, then the evasion calculation is omitted entirely. NO CHANCE TO EVADE. Your hit chance will be determined by attack vs. defense values.

- if you have Opponents Cannot Evade (OCE) 100%, there are 2 scenarios. One where evasion cannot be reduced below 0; and one if evasion is still calculated with a number less than 0. I read that Chattius says that evasion is still calculated with a negative number, so we can move forward from there.

If evasion cannot be reduced below 0, then COCE wins most of the time, with comparable %'s. I bet everyone's noticed that OCE% > COCE%

Since Schot's tests show OCE wins most of the time, then evasion MUST be calculated even if the number is negative. That opens different possibilities - depending on the opponents evade stat compared to your OCE.

I'll have to run some figures to figure :P it all out

Edited by essjayehm

Ah, that would be handy info indeed essjayehm. If only the in game CTH display would break it down further. If you could do that it would be quite helpful. :P

Heya,

nice topic :P

Mostly... I don't use much magic damage. I prefer Ice damage.

Not sure here... but if you were to lower stats with magic damage... wouldn't there be less HP to leach from.... saying that without Magic damage, your LL% damage is bigger? At least, that is the way I went.

It really doesn't matter much tho when LL% is over ~5%. Bosses seem too weak then anyways.

Greetz

Ah, that would be handy info indeed essjayehm. If only the in game CTH display would break it down further. If you could do that it would be quite helpful. :P

I was thinking about this, and I would need the hit chance calculation for attack vs. defense. Links, please, if it is easiest.

I know the evasion equation goes like this:

Old hit chance _____ = New hit chance

1 + (evasion/100)

Example - if the enemy has 50% chance to hit you (from last opp. info) then if you add 100 % evasion, the new hit chance is 25% (50/2)

So I would need to know what the calculation is for hit chance WITHOUT evasion. To the best of my reasoning, I figure the hitchance calculations are done in this order:

1 - calculate CtH based on attack and defense values

2 - adjust CtH based on evasion

3 - adjust CtH based on Combat Art used (since we all agree that the Combat Art's have a built-in CtH modifier)

I can disregard the final calc (#3), and base the calculations on level 1 Combat Art's. (ie none or very little CtH modfier).

Edited by essjayehm