Best Item Mod Recipe against Bosses

So all this talk of Legendary Drops and Boss bashing got me really thinking about just what is the best approach to defeating Bosses efficiently. Many of us already know that Leech life from opponents is a must have but what else can we do? If one was to focus absolutely on building a pure Boss hunter what kinda stats would that build have or best benefit from. Anyone got a pure Boss Basher already? What works for you?

After giving it some thought here is a recipe that I think could work well:

Damage:

• Magic Damage - Use magic element damage in order to inflict Weaken which reduces stats by 20%.
  • Leech life from opponents +X% - A Boss Bashing "must have". Extremely effective against Bosses. Melee or Ranged Weapon only mod.
  • Opponent level for death blow +X% - Also a "must have". At least 50%. Try not to use too many slots for this though. 2-3 slots. Melee or Ranged Weapon only mod.
  • Direct Damage +X% - This mod has yet to be fully tested but likely will be found to be an effective Boss Basher. Test at will!

Damage Aids:

Damage/Protective:

• All Skills - This is actually an everything mod in the sense that it improves damage, protection general expertise, regeneration etc. If you must invest in protection this is a great way to do it.
  • Leech life from opponents +X% - A Boss Bashing "must have". Extremely effective against Bosses. It damages them and heals you all in a single hit. Melee or Ranged Weapon only mod.
  • Chance to reflect: Close Combat +X% - For obvious reasons. To use a Boss's damage against itself.
  • Chance to reflect: Combat Arts +X% - Same as above

Protective:

• Unique Relics - These not only provide very good armor against elements but they also often come with protective Item Modifiers.
  • Bah! Nonsense! We want more damage not silly protective modifiers. ^^ It's best to try and get most of your defensive needs from Permanent and Temporary Buffs.

Notes:

• A character will have an average of 24 locations to place rings and amulets as armor, in armor slots and in weapon slots. Ideally each ring and amulet will provide 2 item modifiers equaling an average of 48 item modifiers on a build to work with. In some cases an item modifier will be double it's stat amount than normal.
  • It can happen that a single item modifier will spawn twice on a single piece of jewelry. When this happens the game will only create one line for the item modifier and tally the total. Thus creating an illusion that the ring or amulet only has one item modifier when in fact there are two. This is very useful and preferred in the case of Opponent level for death blow Since the diminishing return is less on a double stat death blow ring/amulet versus two single stat death blow rings/amulets of an equal amount to the double stat version.
  • Regarding the availability of Leech life from opponents of find it is plentiful but only when with high Bargaining. It takes a while to shop for it but it can be gotten on Throwing Stars and Two-Handed weapons.
  • Energy type enemies are the most likely to drop jewelry and could provide great farming for much needed rare and unique jewelry as well as unique relics.

Is there something else that could work well with this recipe?

It might be a little dangerous to be deliberately lowering your health in a boss fight to increase your damage a bit, but it would up your damage, I just think that I'd pass on it. Plus, it requires a huge investment to work effectively, stealing too many sockets IMO.

Edited by Dragon Brother

Ah, good point about the evasion Dragon. I'll add that. I was thinking along the lines of purely damage but it could probably help others to include the whole kit. I guess what we could do is create the ideal mod recipe for an entire set that would include average number of slots and maybe even "best sets" for boss bashing. I think that a good build is probably all about what's in it's slots so in that case it would probably be useful to use an average number of slots in this topic. I'll see about figuring out that average but off the top of my head I'd say that 20 slots would be an average most number of possible slots for builds + an average of 4 places to wear rings/amulets.

24 locations for rings/amulets at 2 item modifiers per jewelry equals an average of 48 item modifiers on a build to work with.

As for Spell based builds I'm kind of thinking that there isn't much point to trying to farm bosses with a Spells based build since they can't benefit from LL%. As far as I'm concerned I'd suggest Spell builds try to use a melee Combat Art for Bosses.

@nomad:

Probably not the greatest idea against the Guardians. From my own experience the amount of needed investment into enraged just isn't worth it. I did try with an Shadow Warrior though. Maybe with an Inquisitor it could work better. Enraged does work. Just not very well in my experience.

P.s.

As Dragon was saying. :drinks:

P.p.s.

Oops, forgot your question about disreagard Dragon. I'm not very inclined to suggest Chance to disregard armor since I think that using a damage type that the boss has no armor against would do the same thing. I tried out disregard for a while and it didn't make any difference in my damage against enemies that had no armor against my damage type.

P.p.s.

Oops, forgot your question about disreagard Dragon. I'm not very inclined to suggest Chance to disregard armor since I think that using a damage type that the boss has no armor against would do the same thing. I tried out disregard for a while and it didn't make any difference in my damage against enemies that had no armor against my damage type.

Yeah, true that. And it would save sockets too...one element socket vs the few needed to increase the disregard % high enough.

PS...is it because your a mod that when you edit it doesnt say that the post was edited? Because I swear that half of mine are full of edited at such and such a date and time but yours never say it. Kinda cool...you can do a "naa, you didnt read it, it was there the whole time" sorta thing :drinks:

P.p.s.

Yeah, true that. And it would save sockets too...one element socket vs the few needed to increase the disregard % high enough.

That's an even better reason, indeedy.

PS...is it because your a mod that when you edit it doesnt say that the post was edited? Because I swear that half of mine are full of edited at such and such a date and time but yours never say it. Kinda cool...you can do a "naa, you didnt read it, it was there the whole time" sorta thing :sob:

Oh I probably edit mine at least 10 times each, lol. It's because I'm staff, ayup. If it's something that the person I'm posting too needs to notice that I've changed then I tend to put a P.s. or an EDIT. And yeah, it is kinda cool. :oooo: Though I would never abuse it. Well.... Except maybe among staff who have equal power. :drinks:

Ah, good point about the evasion Dragon. I'll add that. I was thinking along the lines of purely damage but it could probably help others to include the whole kit. I guess what we could do is create the ideal mod recipe for an entire set that would include average number of slots and maybe even "best sets" for boss bashing. I think that a good build is probably all about what's in it's slots so in that case it would probably be useful to use an average number of slots in this topic. I'll see about figuring out that average but off the top of my head I'd say that 20 slots would be an average most number of possible slots for builds + an average of 4 places to wear rings/amulets.

24 locations for rings/amulets at 2 item modifiers per jewelry equals an average of 48 item modifiers on a build to work with.

As for Spell based builds I'm kind of thinking that there isn't much point to trying to farm bosses with a Spells based build since they can't benefit from LL%. As far as I'm concerned I'd suggest Spell builds try to use a melee Combat Art for Bosses.

@nomad:

Probably not the greatest idea against the Guardians. From my own experience the amount of needed investment into enraged just isn't worth it. I did try with an Shadow Warrior though. Maybe with an Inquisitor it could work better. Enraged does work. Just not very well in my experience.

P.s.

As Dragon was saying. :drinks:

P.p.s.

24 sockets seems less like an average and more like best case. most build can wear 8 pieces with 2 sockets each. I get 16. and min of 3 wearable 19-20. That leaves 3 socket gear and weapons with sockets. that will vary a lot by class. and not too many LL% weapons with sockets that I have found.

Whoops, thanx loco. I guess I counted too fast. I may have grown a few extra counting fingers. :drinks:

P.s.

Regarding the availability of LL% of find it is plentiful but only when with high Bargaining. It takes a while to shop for it but it can be gotten on Throwing Stars and Two-Handed weapons. Hmmm, I should add that to the first post...

PS...is it because your a mod that when you edit it doesnt say that the post was edited? Because I swear that half of mine are full of edited at such and such a date and time but yours never say it. Kinda cool...you can do a "naa, you didnt read it, it was there the whole time" sorta thing :o

Oh I probably edit mine at least 10 times each, lol. It's because I'm staff, ayup. If it's something that the person I'm posting too needs to notice that I've changed then I tend to put a P.s. or an EDIT. And yeah, it is kinda cool. :oooo: Though I would never abuse it. Well.... Except maybe among staff who have equal power. :drinks:

lol sounds fun to me...*note to self: get mod position to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting...* sorry what was I saying :sob:

And yeah, I think loco is just right, I just shopped a new set for my seraphim and she had 22 sockets in total, 2 worn rings, 1 amulet, 2x2socket weapons leaving 15 in her gear. Now that was made up of only 1 set piece, but its maybe a little more realistic scenario than 24 sockets in armour.

Haha. Ok, I've got mah eye on you, lol.

Oh I see where I went wrong. 24 is meant to include all slots from armor, wearable and weapons. Average 16 for armor + average 4 wearable + average 4 from weapon slot via 2 weapons or weapons and shield. Is that right?

No...look away!

Oh I see where I went wrong. 24 is meant to include all slots from armor, wearable and weapons. Average 16 for armor + average 4 wearable + average 4 from weapon slot via 2 weapons or weapons and shield. Is that right?

Ok..yeah, that makes sense, although I dont no how many wearables each class has, I do know that the seraphim has only 3 since im playing one right now :)

No...look away!

Ok..yeah, that makes sense, although I dont no how many wearables each class has, I do know that the seraphim has only 3 since im playing one right now :)

and each class has a different # of armor pieces. seraphim has 9, dryad 7+shrunken head. Temple Guardian 7 + battery etc

No...look away!

3, 4, 5, and 6. The Set Items page came in handy for counting slots. ^^

P.s.

Ninja_Poof_by_OldVamp.gif

Aww man...of course I pick the toon with the least amount possible.

P.s.

:)

And another mod...rph? Without it we wouldnt have the ability to have high level combat arts and their higher damage.

Aww man...of course I pick the toon with the least amount possible.

P.s.

:)

And another mod...rph? Without it we wouldnt have the ability to have high level combat arts and their higher damage.

Oh your seraphim may be the only one with 3 wearable places for jewelry but she's also the only character with 9 armor pieces. *jealous*

I can't believe I forgot rph. Thanx! Adding that right away.

I actually wasn't planning to. I thought I was only going to post 3 different Item Modifiers and that was it but then well... It kinda grew. :)

Funny cause after I posted mt last one I thought to myself that I should have used the word mutated. :) Things just keep popping into mah head. I really gotta stop and go to bed...

I'll sleep to that! Night night. ^^

P.s.

Crap... I just realized that I need to add the Dragon Mage's buffs to the Buff page. Ugh! Ok, now I'm definitely going to bed, lol.

Putting magic in a socket as a damage converter to do the weaken effect depends on the used Combat Art's. If the used Combat Art has an attribute reduction of more than 20% the weaken may block the higher reduction of the Combat Art.

If the enemy is least protected to magic the balance is changed a bit towards socketing magic.

-chance that enemy can evade x% and chance that enemy cannot evade x% (too lazey to look up english names)

The first seems to have a bigger impact against normal mobs. At Bosses the later seems to get better. My guess would be that if an enemy has evade than this evade is reduced by the first. While without evade the enemy gets a negative evasion in the hit formula.

The second seems to be added to the hit chance somehow. I would add at least one or two of them, very nice for normal left click attacks.

Weapon Combat Art's seem to have a buildin base x attack value which climbs with combat art level. To make best use of base x it should be enhanced by x% attack value. So socketing blacksmith whet may actually work with high Combat Art's cause of RpH.

Another idea is to socket base damage: damage x-x and have it boosted by Combat Art, tactics, whetting, ....

Disregard armour? Chance for unresisted damage...not sure if it works with spells though. And if you need to make sure your cth is higher than normal so -opponents chance to evade and +chance they cannot evade attacks.

Disregard armour works with Source Warden spells, on PS3. Assuming that it works for other spells as well. Cannot say for Ice and Blood, obviously.

The amount of work to get a decent disregard is not worth it. A lot easier to carry 4 weapons for that effect.

Oooohhhhh... you forgot stunning. This would be more important for lower-level toons farming in Niob, if I am reading this thread correctly :superman: (low-level legendaries, anyone?)