What do you listen to while playing?

Mainly music from bands we knew from midage festivals with knight tournaments, historical market places and in evening their were often life acts from bands like: In Extremo, Corvus Corax, Tanzwut, .... Well we used to listen them before we had 5 kids and the bands becoming too popular to play on the quite small midage festivals. Their life performance was really spectacular, but now the prices exploded and we can no longer just use a tent to visit a concert. Having to find babysitters and all this.

My oldest used to listen 'Krieger des Lichts (warriors of the light)' from 'Silbermond' when playing her seraphim.

In PvP we play 'The Knife' from Genesis in our LAN-PvP Parties.

When I play alone it is mainly some instrumental music. I play mainly while the kids are asleep and waiting for my wife to return from her shift at hospital: Michael Rother's Katzenmusik (Cat music) for example. Anyone knowing him at all ? :)

Edited by chattius
Mainly music from bands we knew from midage festivals with knight tournaments, historical market places and in evening their were often life acts from bands like: In Extremo, Corvus Corax, Tanzwut, .... Well we used to listen them before we had 5 kids and the bands becoming too popular to play on the quite small midage festivals. Their life performance was really spectacular, but now the prices exploded and we can no longer just use a tent to visit a concert. Having to find babysitters and all this.

My oldest used to listen 'Krieger des Lichts (warriors of the light)' from 'Silbermond' when playing her seraphim.

In PvP we play 'The Knife' from Genesis in our LAN-PvP Parties.

When I play alone it is mainly some instrumental music. I play mainly while the kids are asleep and waiting for my wife to return from her shift at hospital: Michael Rother's Katzenmusik (Cat music) for example. Anyone knowing him at all ? :)

I can't say that I have heard of any of them, I live in Australia and doubt they are very popular. Where are you from?

Westerwald area, Hessen, Germany

Australia, hmmm. Dependant on how old you are, the australian band 'Dead can dance' did a smiliar style when they did their medieval music. But I haven't heard anything new from them for years.

Corvus Corvax is trying to play medieval music, with medieval instruments in a medival style with a great life act.

In Extremo used to play medieval music, with medieval instruments, with a great life act but more towards heavy/death metal

Tanzwut, named after Dancing mania, is a split up from Corvus Corvax using a few modern instruments and giving up some original medieval style. The dancing mania was thought to drive out the plaque and demons, so the themes of the songs are darker.

Michael Rother played with Kraftwerk and other bands. They kinda did what is now called Techno in the early 1970's.

Various Norwegian Black, Death, Viking and Doom acts like Darkthrone, Strid, Fester, Einherjer, Burzum and tons of others.

Dark Moor, Manowar, Hammerfall, Kamelot, Iced Earth.

There's some good music.

I just listen to the in-game music. Does that put me in the minority? I think the only time I've listened to non-in-game music while playing a game was a brief phase I went through as a pre-teen while replaying The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the umpteenth time.

I wonder how many people outside of the dev team listen to Blind Guardian while playing, :D?

I had to ask my living music lexica, who plays at a local metal band named Cloudburst.

He said early Blind Guardian did very fast metal.

Blind Guardian did several concerts on tours together with Iced Earth.

Demons&Wizards is Schaffer from Iced Earth and Hansi, the Singer, from Blind Guardian.

I usually just listen to the game music and character voices when I play. I heard some Blind Guardian stuff and they sound pretty kick ass. I also found a YouTube video of a BeeEffGee Seraphim with Evanescence' Lies as background music, so pretty much that whole Evanescence Origin Album is good music to listen to while playing. Anything with nice heavy guitar sounds I guess.

It generally depends how long I am planning on playing for. If I only have an hour or 2 to play, I will just listen to the game music. If I am playing for a fair sitting I will generally hit up whatever is in my play list, which consists of metal/rock/alternative/hiphop/d'n'b..

I once listened to the entire discography of The Offspring on repeat while playing and now fighting the White Griffin reminds me of the song 'Me and my old lady'. Strange how that happens.

Michael Rother played with Kraftwerk and other bands. They kinda did what is now called Techno in the early 1970's.

Heard their music. WOW.... They were making better Techno then than ANYONE else even now, IMO.

Yes, I listen to Trance, Drum'n'Bass, and some House music while playing.

Also, sometimes I am in the mood for Jazz (any kind), or slower Techno like TripHop or Acid.

Don't know any artists/DJ names, since I listen on ExpressVu (like Starchoice) they don't have any talking for the names of songs or artists.

Edited by essjayehm

If you want to know how Blind Guardian are real life: Links from a thread in the german GSF:

I think the Orcs and Trolls made a better audience than the one in the first video. Audience in second video is better, but video quality a bit worse. Some improvised stuff (solo part) in the second video.

An example that you are not always able to choose the background music on your own:

Last family LAN session we heared The Third Man Theme played on a 45 string quint-zither by our 7 year old. Gaming room and music training room are identical :bounce:

Edited by chattius

I generally listen to the game music, even though I still have the battle music turned on, which meant it was playing continuously for about two and a half hours last night as I wended my merry way through the Blood Forest.

That said, I did once have Yakkety Sax playing in the background whilst playing the Shadow Warrior in Tyr Lysia. It's true what they say - that tune can make any game a little more enjoyable...

Edited by Steerpike1

I like the in-game music as well, but then I am still new to the game. Once I have been playing for a while that may change, in which I may return to one of my favourite groups for gaming music. :) Nightwish. :bow:

As far as I am concerned there is nothing better than their 'End of all hope' to get the blood pounding in a desperate battle situation! :P

Edited by podgie_bear