Does America have Bottsand class oil recovery ships

My daughter has to write a homework about the oil disaster at america's coasts:

about the haircutters collecting hair for oil barriers,

people trying to wash sea birds from oil,

But there is one question I couldn't answer: Does the american navy has no ships comparable to our Bottsand class ships? What would be the keywords to search for equivalent ships in the US-, mexican or canadian navy?

The Bottsand class are Klappschiffe (folding ships?) used as a Ölfangschiffe (oil capture ships?).

bcaacd410c.jpg

The Bottsand is normally patrolling the baltic sea, either to capture oil or to do water research. Given the small tons replacement and being a folding ship it is probably not wise to cross the atlantic in a storm, but they could be carried on a supertanker I think.

It took me 5 minutes to find a contact address and a page with possible equipment in case of a spill disaster at german coasts.

http://www.havariekommando.de/en/cis/inven...sand/index.html

But I lack the needed technical words to do the same search in english.

Their is a joke in the german navy that the Bottsand was designed to capture sun oil at the Bottsand beach, which is a nudism beach and was equipped with the best the german optical industry could produce :)

Edit:

Found this:

http://www.epa.gov/oilspill/

which is only for inland waters.

They redirect to a page for coastal waters:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/

Which reads: this page is currently being updated :evil:

So we are still searching

Couldn't see anything useful in oil slick searches. Best on offer seemed to be:

- Booms ! what size boom would we need?

- Burn it off. Ouch.

We have "bendy-busses" here, but bendy ships - wouldn't have thought it possible. Ah. No. I see now how it opens...but even so. There must be something in German technology after all (did I say that with a straight face?)

I've never heard of oil spill clearing ships like your Bottsand ships.

All I remember of oils spills was the focus on black-coated birds that died from being covered in thick black oil.

Sorry.

Hollee hollee

Chattius that hast just about got to be the coolest ship I have ever seen in my life.

;)

gogo

:tease: I second that! And although I can't be 100% sure, I don't think we have those kind of boats. At least I've never seen one in my entire life...

Klappschiffe are old, more than 100 years. They were used to build the channel in germany which connects the atalantic with the baltic sea. They were used to transport earth/slick/sand from cleaning a harbour. More stabile when loaded with a swim-bagger.

It seems that the Bottsands have some disadvantages: cruising speed of maximal 9knots and the oil is sucked away at openings at sea level. Too high waves result that too much water is sucked in together with the oil, reducing the capacity for the sucked up oil. But good results in the Baltic sea and in the german bight.

Next generation of planed oil capture ships

The Futura-Type commercial freighters and tankers are build modular. The bow of these ships which was planed for low fuel consumption seems to be usable for oil capturing (which wasn't planed). A Futura-type tanker would already have a high speed, fire protection, oil carrying capacity. All what would be needed would be a module with a big rubber band running between the 2 bow parts and transporting oil slick from the surface into a tank.

kuestenmotorschiff_futura02_190.jpg

Futura Type at uglyships

So it is planed that modules for these ships would be developed. The ships would be hired at a oil disaster but could be used for transports the rest of the year.

A physic professor playing sacred send me a link to a whole doctor work about next generation of oil fighting, including all the formulas to calculate waves, oil drift, wave reflection at double bows, chaotic wave amplitudes .... Now I have to filter all the information so that my daughter can understand it.