A bit more light-hearted. What do you do when your false teeth snap?

Probably doesn't happen to your generation. But I lived as a kid in a 'soft water' area, and my front top 6 teeth more or less disintegrated. So I have a bit of plastic, 6 teeth wide, in my upper palate.

Breakfast I bit a marmaladed-bun ... crack.

It costs quite a lot for a repair, plus a week or so with a big gap in your face. Avoid smiling at all costs.

I have choir rehearsal 3 evenings and an English class. How do I avoid exposing the horrible truth to these people who think what a handsome old codger I am? (I am too tall for them to see the balding patch up top)

Superglue has its uses, but only as a temporary measure. Take the temporary superglue job out when faced with any hard chewing? Possible but the arrangement of upper and lower teeth only leaves one upper tooth opposite a lower tooth. Chewing is a work of art.

Can I afford a spare set? Will the superglue job last out till a spare set arrive? Can I go for a professional repair and face my friends toothless? :D

******* !

OK ... there are worse problems ... I think.

I lost 4 teeth when I broke my jaw, Jochbein(cheek bone?) and damaged my eyes in one stupid second. But I think it is different, it was an army accident in my case. And I tell the people that I lost them at an accident if I remove the 3rd teeth for sports.

Your case is more like my daughter, luckily not her teeth. She was milking a cow when she was 10. We don't know why, but one day the cow behaved strange. She kicked out as soon as my daughter tried to milk the cow. My daughter was hit very hard at her tibia. But can you say at school that you were kicked by a cow, if you are 10 years old and nearly all of the kids at your school are town kids?

No, she decided to say nothing when she was hoppling around and said soccer when people asked. Two weeks later, at better weather, she was wearing short trousers for the first time. Her tibia was shining in all colours of the rainbow and then a boy said: 'Did I really hit this hard at soccer 2 weeks ago? I feel really sorry.' and invited her for an ice. They were eating the ice and when there were no other kids around she told him the truth seeing that he was feeling bad. But as a 10 year old girl: 'If you tell anyone what really happened I kill you.'

For kids there are injuries which make you a hero and others which make you an idiot in the eyes of other kids. But it seems there is a kid still in everyone of us dinosaurs.

Edited by chattius

If its too embarresing, you could always call in sick? I know some people that get away with missing teeth and you'd never realise from looking at them, depends how obvious it is I guess. If it is obvious, and it does embaress you, just get it fixed as soon as you can, no shame in missing a few events because of it.

Well that's an unfortunate bite Bondbug. Have you checked out your local pharmacist? I read online that they often carry Denture repair kits. A bit more reading suggested that super glue is often of a certain type that is likely to dissolve in warm moist conditions eventually. Whatever you do be extra careful to align the broken bits. Don't want you to end up with your gums in pain from a rough edge on the denture. Oh and of course you'll have to cut out those crunchy bon bons from your diet!

Thanks Schott. I hate to say it to a Quebecois but in some ways France is not perfect! Denture repair is as heavily overloaded with admin/paperwork as most aspects of life here. The quick on the spot repair shops don't seem to be available here. Perhaps I should have asked Harper. Never occurred to me. I expect she is too bogged down in assessments to be interested in my false teeth. :D (nearest I could get to a toothless smiley)

Can't call in sick when two of your rehearsals are choirs you conduct! It is not, to be honest, the appearance of 'gap' ... I am thin lipped, bearded and don't show much tooth when I smile. It's more the talking flappy lipped so to speak. Did you ever see Gabby Hayes?

Not to worry. Like most problems it will work out. The 'crunchy bon bons' I prefer are things like toast and pork crackling and spare-ribs, and .... oh dear.

I like Chattius' story of his daughter ... lovely.

You have my sympathy Bondbug. It has been a number of years since I have been able to get dental treatment (due to our government's "improvements" to the dental health service), but have now managed to be accepted as a test subject at a dental school. So I get free treatment by letting the students practice on me. :)

For years I have only had one lower molar that I could chew with but I will soon be getting dentures for the first time and should be able to eat properly again in the near future,but first they have to remove a badly deformed molar so that I can be fitted for the dentures. You guessed it, my only lower molar! :)

Ouch PB! And I thought I had problems!

I had forgotten about that Dental School thing. But ... er ... how is your life insurance?

What life insurance?

The area where I live the average pay is so far below what is supposed to be the national average that most people can only dream of earning that fabled figure! In fact a lot of jobs are now advertised at minimum wage rates, but with zero hour contracts. If there is not enough work, they send you home without pay. You cannot refuse these type of jobs, or you will not qualify for any unemployment benefits because of your refusal to accept suitable employment.

However if you accept them and get sent home, you cannot claim any form of top-up benefits for the first 3 working days and when you get back to work any benefits you managed to get are cancelled and you need to apply from scratch the next time you get sent home. We spend our lives living hand to mouth and cannot afford luxuries like insurance!

The dental school told me that the treatment I need would cost me over £3,000 if I had to pay for it, which is roughly 5 months wages at my rate of pay.

Ouch. Great life. They always find some way of getting round the law.

I have no life insurance either. Not much life left to be insured!

Wonder if I can get 3000euros a tooth here - not that I have many ... must look into it.