Music + Musicians + Bands in your own home country

well, now after seeing the ''Currently Listening To" thread popping up again,

I thought it's time to finally start what I always wanted to do:

Start a split-off thread from there, dedicated to:

1. Local Musicians&Bands
    especially originating from/living in your own town or country you're from or currently resident.

2. Most anticipated:
    Songs+Lyrics written and performed in your native language (non-english)

3. Also welcome:
    Songs+Lyrics using local dialect/slang or old/ancient versions of your language (also english)

4. Specific styles or genres:
    specialty in your area / or country (exotic instruments, traditions, etc)

5. Background info about:

1. how's the situation for the local music scene around you?
    2. what kind of contests/support/subsidies etc are there?
    3. are there many popular artists in your country that many people would know of?
    4. how would you describe chances for newcomers to get hold of any (major label) deals?
    5. are there local TV or Radio stations also broadcasting new not so well known newcomers / 'alternative' music(+artists= ?
    6. what other interesting things would you like to tell us about music in your local area?

so, I hope you get the idea, can't wait to learn something interesting about you and your country that way

(trying to find my list with some link collections to music written+performed in german, yet from austria.. you go first, don't be shy :) )

Edited by gogoblender

Local band (singing english):

Germany, Hessen, Lahn-Dill-county, Wetzlar

I think the uncle of the drummer is a grandson of my mother. Something like this. Lives same village as my parents and the rest of the band are from his schooltime, so probably local too. I think they do something like speed metal.

lyrics of 'Do me a favour and die'

Cloudburst homepage

Local Band

A band from the village of my parents is singing local slang, sadly the texter died a few years ago.

Blues sung in hessian slang

Place I go to listen life music

I used to visit the Franzis at Wetzlar quite often when I was younger. They have always a wide mix of bands with all different styles as life acts. Nowadays I have to read the program weeks in advance to get a ticket and ask my parents if they can babysit.

Music I listened while typening this:

When you are paid to do maths you can't listened to something loud and quick.

1. Local Musicians&Bands
    especially originating from/living in your own town or country you're from or currently resident.

These ones are really local

Nathan Rogers http://www.nathanrogers.ca/home.html
    Dandelion Wine (my housemate and one of my 3 landlords Dave Clement is the principle of this band) http://www.dandelionwine.ca/
    Decadent Dave Clement (Vocals, guitar, Irish Whistle, etc...) http://www.dandelionwine.ca/
    Sam Baardman (vocals and guitar) http://www.sambaardman.com/
    Susan Israel (violin) (also teaches)

This one is from Nova Scotia (same country, only about 2000 miles away)

Loreena McKennitt (a very successful Canadian folk musician) Her website: http://www.quinlanroad.com/ (She did everything herself. Managing/Marketing/Sales. No record company to crush her spirit, take most of the money she generated)

Charlie A'Court (Christian Country) from Nova Scotia also. He's not as commerically successful yet as Loreena. http://www.charlieacourt.com/

2. Most anticipated:
    Songs+Lyrics written and performed in your native language (non-english)

Nathan has a throat singing song. That is: He learned from the Inuit (means the people, not to be confused with Eskimo that means "Eaters of Raw Meat").
    He is the son of the great Canadian songwriter Stan Rogers.

3. Also welcome:
    Songs+Lyrics using local dialect/slang or old/ancient versions of your language (also english)

Dave Clement sings Barret's Privateers... a song that music historians thought was an ancient (or old at least, being a few hundred years old) sea shanty.
    It's not. Stan Rogers wrote it.

4. Specific styles or genres:
    specialty in your area / or country (exotic instruments, traditions, etc)

One of my other landlords is living in China right now... learning the erhu--the Chinese violin.
    I was taking Irish Whistle lessons for a while from the superb Susan Hammer. She's local to Winnipeg, though she did take some time to travel to Ireland to learn directly from the Irish.

5. Background info about:

1. how's the situation for the local music scene around you?

We host house concerts... about 4 to 8 a year. So. I don't even have to leave the house. We seat 30 to 52, depending on the popularity and chaotic factors of life.
    2. what kind of contests/support/subsidies etc are there?

Not sure about that. Though one of my friends works for the government... her program she runs is: Artists in the Schools. Pays about $10/hour for artists to teach kids about music, history, art (painting, sculpture, etc...)

Comhaltas (pronounced Col-tas) has a local chapter in Winnipeg that supports Irish music and language teaching. There are usually 2 festivals of learning a year, which include a big concert.

Sam Baardman ran MARIA (Manitoba Recording Industry Association) for years... it is a group that somehow is supposed to help develop music in Manitoba. Dave Clement believes it did a lot of good for local music. I... well... I think it did a lot of arm waving. Dave wasn't able to quantify how it did him (Dave himself) any good... so I remain pretty negative about it's effectiveness. Sam got to travel a lot to a lot of conferences is all I know about it.

http://www.manitobamusic.com/

I googled Maria Manitoba music... and got this:

http://twitter.com/manitobamusic

The main performer
    3. are there many popular artists in your country that many people would know of?

Canadian artists have a very hard time connecting with audiences. When you have to travel thousands of miles to get to a gig... it kinda puts the dampers on things.
      Nathan Rogers is traveling right now to a place north of Calgary... 1325 km (15 hours driving) to do a concert this weekend.
    4. how would you describe chances for newcomers to get hold of any (major label) deals?

Why would anyone need these? Youtube yourself... if people find you... you're in. Then go to a bank with your youtube hits and demand a loan. Buy a web monkey
      to make a downloadable sale site... sell downloads of your songs and mail out cds. Take 90% of the profit from sales yourself... see Loreena McKennitt (above) and link here again http://www.quinlanroad.com/
    5. are there local TV or Radio stations also broadcasting new not so well known newcomers / 'alternative' music(+artists= ?

CBC has some kind of program on radio for this. Escapes my mind what it is called.
    6. what other interesting things would you like to tell us about music in your local area?

WestEnd Cultural Centre was created to bring music to a depressed part of town. High, violent crime rate part of town. They occasionally give tickets away to the people who live within a few blocks... but, in my mind, they aren't very successful in pulling people up out of the mire of depresssion/unemployment/despair. But they are trying!

Edited by FrostElfGuard

Cloudburst is really good!

We in Belgium have Ancient Rites Most of there songs are in english, a couple of their songs contain Dutch or German parts

This is a song wich contains a bit fo Dutch lyrics.

On Golden Fields (de Leeuwen dansen)

We ask not the pleasures that riches supply
Our weapons shall regain what betrayers must buy
Throwing back the invaders reigning our Land and waves
And finally teach these nobles what it means to be slaves

Far more large in numbers, better armed, they came
But are it not our cities that these rascals claimed?
A victory rather certain they held within their hands
But courage, craft and justice gave us a stronger stand

Bloodstained flags,
Hear our men roar
But under foreign rule
Bloodstained flags,
Hear our men roar
We shall suffer no more

We shall suffer no more

“Het Vlaamse heir staat immer pal.
Daar ‘t winnen of daar ‘t sterven zal
Alhier, aldaar aan lange lansen,
De Leeuwen dansen, de Leeuwen dansen!”

Oh, land of Flanders
From field to shore
Shall view us as victors

Oh, land of Flanders
From field to shore
Shall view us as victors
Or view us no more!

For victory was ours, against all odds
Truly a miracle in a world without gods

Bloodstained flags,
Hear our men roar
But under foreign rule
Bloodstained flags
Hear our men
We shall suffer no more!

We shall suffer no more!

I close my eyes. A voice from a century buried by time and dust reaches my ears. And the troubadour sings:

“Het Vlaamse heir staat immer pal
Daar ‘t winnen of daar ‘t sterven zal
Alhier, aldaar aan lange lansen
De Leeuwen dansen, de Leeuwen dansen”

En de Leeuwen dansen…

This are the lyrics of the song. Title translates gives "On golden fields(the Lions dance)" For the flag of flanders is a Lion on a golden background. Most of their newer songs are about historical events.

For example Thermopylae goes about the 300 Spartans versus that persian army in Thermopylae. Ypres Tells about the Last Post, wich is still done every day in Ypres as a remembrance to the first world war...

Edit: I found some pretty long list of Belgian metal bands, seems like there are more then just a few... Click here for list

Thanks to this topic I'm once more going to be completely lost in music >_<

Edited by Arperum