Anyone done a build using just offensive/defensive skills, no buffs or Combat Arts.

Thanks for the link Chattius. Doesn't seem to be many players out there that don't use CAs/Buffs. :)

Well, I would hazard a guess that it is fun... up to the end of Gold difficulty. Ignoring the "spell system" leads to some very underpowered characters, IMO.

Most of the mainstays here have had pony builds, maybe they'll consider it for the next round of Kamakaze?

Edited by essjayehm
Thanks for the link Chattius. Doesn't seem to be many players out there that don't use CAs/Buffs. :unsure:

Well, I would hazard a guess that it is fun... up to the end of Gold difficulty. Ignoring the "spell system" leads to some very underpowered characters, IMO.

Most of the mainstays here have had pony builds, maybe they'll consider it for the next round of Kamakaze?

You don't think it would be possible to get past gold with no CAs/Buffs? I haven't tried yet but was thinking about trying a Dryad or Seraphim.

Thanks for the link Chattius. Doesn't seem to be many players out there that don't use CAs/Buffs. :Just_Cuz_21:

You don't think it would be possible to get past gold with no CAs/Buffs? I haven't tried yet but was thinking about trying a Dryad or Seraphim.

Finishing Gold, even Platinum... is possible. Fun, maybe not. 8)

I see your point, not much fun if struggling to survive. :Just_Cuz_21: Maybe revise the plan and add buffs. :mellow:

That should be OK... but without buffs... If you could spam health potions without penalty, I would like to see what could be done with the idea.

I played a SW with buffs (NOT Veiled), not paying attention to other Combat Arts... the boss fights were the only issue (taking a long, long time to kill).

Edited by essjayehm

I have not played a toon that is totally CA/Buff free, but my Seraphim comes close, I use no CAs, and the Buff I use is Battle Stance. Also all my fighting is done from my Sabretooth Tiger (except for caves, obviously). Dual Wielding Boneslicers seem able to handle pretty much anything I have come up against as yet and I have only had one bad moment when I had to repeatedly hammer the spacebar. That was against 30+ Garema Ghost Warriors, because my puter struggles with lag when I get under the trees (graphics are a curse on lower end machines).

I have lost nearly all my toons in the same region and for the same reason, the controls can't respond fast enough when struggling with the graphics demanded by all the leaves on the trees. OK, they look good, but I only have time to appreciate how nice they look while watching the enemy drift away from my toon's broken, bleeding corpse!

I see your point, not much fun if struggling to survive. :Just_Cuz_21: Maybe revise the plan and add buffs. :mellow:

That should be OK... but without buffs... If you could spam health potions without penalty, I would like to see what could be done with the idea.

I played a SW with buffs (NOT Veiled), not paying attention to other Combat Arts... the boss fights were the only issue (taking a long, long time to kill).

Yes this is my concern with bosses, I've got a Seraphim on Gold just using Battle Stance buff and I really struggled around the swamp against all those undead.

I have not played a toon that is totally CA/Buff free, but my Seraphim comes close, I use no CAs, and the Buff I use is Battle Stance. Also all my fighting is done from my Sabretooth Tiger (except for caves, obviously). Dual Wielding Boneslicers seem able to handle pretty much anything I have come up against as yet and I have only had one bad moment when I had to repeatedly hammer the spacebar. That was against 30+ Garema Ghost Warriors, because my puter struggles with lag when I get under the trees (graphics are a curse on lower end machines).

I have lost nearly all my toons in the same region and for the same reason, the controls can't respond fast enough when struggling with the graphics demanded by all the leaves on the trees. OK, they look good, but I only have time to appreciate how nice they look while watching the enemy drift away from my toon's broken, bleeding corpse!

The reason I thought about a build with no CAs is because I don't really use them much anyways. With my Seraphim I also only use Battle Stance and Pelting Strikes with Soul Hammer in a combo. I took EW focus and added one rune to each and get the rest by using equipment to boost them up.

The reason I thought about a build with no CAs is because I don't really use them much anyways. With my Seraphim I also only use Battle Stance and Pelting Strikes with Soul Hammer in a combo. I took EW focus and added one rune to each and get the rest by using equipment to boost them up.

I know what you mean, my other main toon is a Dryad. Again without any CAs and only Sinister Predator for a Buff, armed with a blowpipe of course.

I hesitate to include my Shadow Warrior because he uses shadow veil as a buff, so is that a Buff or a CA?

I like using builds where I don't have to worry about changing CAs/attacks to match individual situations. If the attack can't kill everything, scrap it and try something else. Although I do struggle with the main campaign in the swamp for obvious reasons (that *&$%£* fog monster!)

Can't say with the Shadow Warrior as I've not tried it, tend to stick with Seraphim, Dryad and High Elf. The biggest problem with not using CAs is the boses, a real problem and takes ages to kill them. Once I finished with my Seraphim I'll probably try a Dryad without CAs/Buffs, just to see how far I can get with her. Should be a bit of a challenge.

Weapons + Buffs + Defensive skills + no other combat arts used is much better. There is a number of builds that can cut it this way.

Can't say with the Shadow Warrior as I've not tried it, tend to stick with Seraphim, Dryad and High Elf. The biggest problem with not using CAs is the boses, a real problem and takes ages to kill them. Once I finished with my Seraphim I'll probably try a Dryad without CAs/Buffs, just to see how far I can get with her. Should be a bit of a challenge.

If you are determined to go with no attack CAs then a Weapon with LL% will concur your bosses. or Set gear with LL% or Both.

I try to use LL weapons where possible, tends to make life easier when facing bosses. But a Dryad without AB buff is going to be a bit more difficult, especially if going with ranged weapons I guess. Also I don't think the Dryad can use Toughness which may make it easier in close combat.

aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhh

I've been looking at this thread for days now, trying hard as heck to remember that topic I made about my Shadow Warrior and his fate via le limerick. I've tried for days now to be able to bring that link into this topic, but for the life of me I just can't remember the title!

Waaaaaaaaaaaah

:P

All in all to say... the Non CA builds were a big thing for a bunch of us...SO powerful, SO challenging SO awesome against bosses...

I think actually POny got one intoNiobium and the rest of us no probs getting them into Plat as well?

Fair warning, the non CA builds/Via horses... mounted Ancarian CAvalry...HUGEly difficult because of demand on equipment...if you want to build one that's competitive make sure you wonderful bargainers.

:)

gogo

I was thinking of a Dryad with these skills:

1. Ranged Weapons

2. Combat Reflexes

3. Tactics Lore

4. Enhanced Perception

5. Bargaining

6. Armor Lore

7. Damage Lore

8. Constitution

9. ?

10. ?

Not sure what to take for the last two though. Maybe Spell resistance and Speed lore.

Edited by S-P