Damage Lore vs. Spell Resistance

Ryanrocker

Hey guys, had a question about which of these skills to take for my last level 65 pick. Not being super familiar with how Ice and Blood is with spellcasters but I've heard they're pretty rough. I know the eyes in the blood forest have crazy leech. Anyways, I origanally had Spell Resistance in my skill lineup but am thinking of changing out for Damage Lore because it would make AW insane. I have the energy shield modded for spell reflect so maybe I could get away with that? If I grab spell resist will I be able to shrug off most of the leeches? It's a tossup and I'd really appreciate any input :P

Ancient Magic is already in the build. That's another reason why I thought maybe damage lore was the better choice because it would complement AM pretty well.

Ancient Magic is already in the build. That's another reason why I thought maybe damage lore was the better choice because it would complement AM pretty well.

Damage lore is gonna increase the chance that a fire Dot will occur, but wont really improve AW. if your looking for fast kills, Damage Lore may not really help. But if you want to spam low damage attacks and let them slow burn from the Dot the Damage lore is the ticket.

I have been trying to work Spell Resistance into every build lately. However it seems that Willpower has better effect on the LLchers that Spell Resist. As least from the testing that Furian and I have done.

He has a Willpower bonus from Grim Resilience giving him +1000 to his base spell resist. and the Eyes don't even touch him. I have The Skill Spell Resist with 97 points from +all skills and it did't seem to make as much difference. So I will wait until I get it mastered in Niob to see what help it really is.

I am also splitting my attributes between willpower and intelligence to boost my base will power. As any Energy shield build should be doing to boost shield energy.

But at mastery Damage Lore gives a 235.6% bonus to damage. That was the reason I was thinking about taking it, not for the chance to inflict the burning. But then I have to consider if 75 skill points is worth the investment. Grr, why do I have to like damage so much? :P

But at mastery Damage Lore gives a 235.6% bonus to damage. That was the reason I was thinking about taking it, not for the chance to inflict the burning. But then I have to consider if 75 skill points is worth the investment. Grr, why do I have to like damage so much? :P

That bonus is to the DOT though, which lasts 5s or something, in which time you would already have killed whatever it is you're fighting. Of course if you dont need Spell resistance because of your shield then I guess damage lore works fine unless their are other skills you could pick. Also, think about what loco said, Spell resistance is doing nothing for him pre-mastery so you are going to have to put at least 75 points into that too to see if that works...both skills will require full investment.

Hmm, good points. I guess I could take Tactics Lore if that affects the damage from AW. Other then that the only other two options are EP and Speed Lore, neither of which I'm a big fan of.

I understand your going heavy into the Rev Tech tree. I also understand your love of a very powerful AW.

That said, I still will be taking Spell Resistance. Loco makes a great point, in that, Willpower over time possibly can replace the need for Spell Resistance.

Instead of sinking points into Willpower to replace this skill. I'll be pumping stamina for the regens bonus.

Personally I would rather hit many times with lower damgage, then hit fewer times with higher damage.

If we flip this same scenario. I've read many times over, players would rather be hit several times with less damage taken, then be hit with substantial blows @ fewer intervals. Suppose the same can hold true for both instances?

Ever heard it said, "the tortise beats the hair in a long distance race."? I'm not sure this is a great analogy, but it does have similiar traits.

You will make the right decision for your playstyle.

I remain, Etherian

~p.s.~ hope my 1 cent helps either way.

Hmm, good points. I guess I could take Tactics Lore if that affects the damage from AW. Other then that the only other two options are EP and Speed Lore, neither of which I'm a big fan of.

Wiki say's that although tactics lore ups weapon damage it doesnt increase AW's damage. I guess the last choice just depends on how you wanna play it, free choices like this are good cause it means that your build is fine with whatever you pick.

Personally I would rather hit many times with lower damgage, then hit fewer times with higher damage.

But what if we could hit many times with higher damage :P Lol, I'm also putting all attribute points into stamina for the lower regen times. As Loco said, high willpower will eventually replace Spell Resist if enough points are invested. But as I am not directing points into Will, I should probably go with the Spell Resist just to be on the safe side I guess.

As others have said, DoTs are for slower killers, dealing with bosses, etc. If you're going with BFG & AW, you may not be particularly slow even against the Guardians, so you may not get as much benefit from DL. Though it would also increase the chance to Weaken with Flaring Nova (& slow with the standard BFG. woo. hoo. :)).