Tanz der Vampire

So, tonight was my last night in Vienna, and I decided that I really did want to try to go to Tanz der Vampire. All I knew was that it was a musical, and nothing else (well, besides that vampires were involved, lulz). The show was sold out, even the standing room, but there was a woman who wanted to sell two tickets back, and I was able to get one from her, so I really lucked out.

It was .The. most .AMAZING. thing I've ever seen.

GAAAAH! *spews*

Alright, I'll calm myself down so I can share some of the details with you all <3

I just bought the program afterword, so I don't really know what the plot was exactly, at the moment, but there's a synopsis available on the official website (http://www.tanz-der-vampire.de/), however it's only in German... So for those of you who don't read German, there's a brief overview of the story at http://www.danceofthevampires.com/story.html

There're also some tidbits on Wikipedia ;3

Though it was called a musical, I found it really to be more like to an opera than a musical, in that the music was almost completely continuous throughout the whole thing. In that way, I guess it was a little like Tosca - the music and singing, but with spoken dialogue as well. The music was fun to listen to, and the plot moved along quickly, for the most part (or maybe it was just that I saw Wagner's Parsifal last night, haha). The set, staging, and costumes, were all amazing! The set absolutely blew my mind - there was SO much detail in everything, and there were a LOT of different scenes shown. They also used a really interesting technique at different times, projecting images on a scrim screen (scrim is a fabric that's opaque when light is shown on one side, and transparent on the other), in front of the acting on stage.

I found myself completely caught up in the world that was created, and even though I didn't understand all of the German, I was able to enjoy it and was very intensely involved in the character emotions and actions. If nothing else in Vienna made this trip worth it, Tanz der Vampire most definitely did!

As an aside, I was curious if anyone else had seen the musical, anywhere in the world (since it's been around), and what you thought of it.

If you haven't seen it, DO!

Cheers~!

~Jaggy

Edited by JaguarGal

Can't say I have seen Tanz der Vampire.

Although I am a huge fan of the stage arts. My family and I have seen many other "live" stage productions. Of course all in English as non of us here in this house speek a spot of German. Can't say we have a favorite, as "if done well" all come across sucessfully.

All in all, I am very happy you had a wonderful time with this stage. I'll have to do some research and see if they offer a English version over in the states?

I remain, Etherian

glad you got a last-minute ticket then after all, because it's really a good show, I think..

how long were you staying in Austria ? holiday/vacation or work-related?

my sister studies in Vienna, and works at the 'Wiener Staatsoper' ,

maybe she knows anyone from the other opera-houses/musical-theatres there, that would have been able to get you in anyway...

I'll be visiting Vienna this months as well, staying over weekends.. it's only a ~4 hours train-trip from where I live..

maybe I will watch the show then too, it's not a bad idea :)

Greetings, J.

Jaggy, I don't know how you do it. Come up with writing that takes me there, right beside you watching the theater. Technical details of your critique are like presents for me that taught me some shows. I also liked detailing like this where I can find it, buildlings, games, food...tiny touches that all add up. You're lucky you connected to a play that delighted you so much.

Big european trip goes on!

:)

gogo

p.s. the mnemonic here for me was that ten minute mini-scene in a movie I just could not stop watching over and over , forgetting Sarah Marshall. The Protagonist wants to take a break from the corporate treadmill of jingle writing and finally brings his dream to stage...an operatic vampire play done with puppets!

Here's him singing one song from his future hit in a bar in Hawai: