Another stupid mistake

We have been using Redbox a lot lately.

For those not in the know, these are video rental kiosks. They charge $1.00 per night and if you keep the movie for 20 consecutive nights it belongs to you.

Well, this weekend I rented Monsters Vs Aliens. I already saw it with my oldest and youngest and they other two really wanted to see it. I popped the DVD into my player and it froze about a half an hour into the movie. I inspected the DVD and found that there was a warp in part of it. It almost looked intentional.

So I logged into my account and reported a damaged DVD. We went to return our DVDs and I tried renting it again--the kids still wanted to see it. My wife opened the case and it was damaged. Crap! I got the same DVD. So with the faulty disk in hand I attempted to get another to come out. To my horror, I found that the one in my hand was the only one available.

Disgusted, I promptly returned it.

Well that's a bummer, it's an awesome movie, unfortunate for the two that have missed out so far. It is annoying renting DVDs, they are very often in poor condition and will freeze, skip or display pixelated images at times. It just comes down to being lucky enough to get a good DVD.

I have to young kids who love the movie..both girls..4 and 2..I would just go ahead and buy it honestly..my kids love it..hate renting movies myself..but yea that really sucks that they would even keep the DVD that is faulty..what a scam ..

Here in TX we have Half Price Books. They sell used DVDs and VHS tapes as well as books really cheap. The average price of a used DVD is $5.98 and all are inspected before they are bough by the store. Yeah, it's a bit of hit or miss thing as the particular DVD may not be in that day but stopping by frequently usually gets you the movie you want. And they have 7 day return policy if the book, tape or DVD is faulty in any way. I have bought fairly recent and classic movies stopping in while running errands. Have you checked to see if there is one where you live? Also Fry's Electronics has new DVDs of older movies for $10 and you can find a gem sometimes.

Oh, rentals... They can really be a pain at worst. Luckily I've only ever gotten positive experiences with 'em, so I consider myself lucky then. Although, when used goods are regarded, you could really get some nasty surprises. Like missing a final disk of a five CD package. Can't remember the game, that was some long time ago, and that's a different story.

I remember buying a cassette tape from FEDCO years ago. It was Pat Benatar. I went to play it in my auto-reverse cassette player and it kept reversing every few seconds. Upon a closer inspection, I discovered that there was no tape--just the clear plastic leader. Boy was I mad. Now I kind of wish I kept it.

As for the DVD, the company finally contacted me. They gave me two free rentals and assured me that they would retrieve the DVD and dispose of it.

Got one of my free rentals tonight. Chose Land of the Lost; the family loved it. We laughed throughout the movie.

I'm glad you managed to get something out of it Silearth.

We don't seem to have those 'Redbox' rental places here. The best I think we have is all movies for $2 on a Tuesday!