Saturday a panic resulted in the death of 19 people at the love parade. The area for the concert was planed for around 250000 -500000 people and about 1.5 million streamed to the concert through a narrow tunnel.

My niece was there as a volunteer with the red cross (she studies medicine). My sister panicked when hearing about the disaster, not able to call her daughter for hours because the cellular phone network collapsed at all this people. When talking with her yesterday she said she was never in danger. She was on the place already long before the panic broke out doing minor first aid sevices (blood sugar shocks from people suffering from diabetis and such). When the disaster happened she was helping shocked people at the concert place, while the injured were at the other side of the tunnel, not reachable from her side. Then the police stopped traffic on autobahn and doing another escape route by allowing the people to move to the autobahn.

Our au-pair girl from ireland decided against driving to the love parade with our niece and rather visited a celtic rock festival at castle greifenstein with our oldest daughter. We didn't want our daughter at the parade this year but said we would allow her next year.

My wife and me visited the parade in 1996 when the parade was first time at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. We met several people from all over the world in 1996 and we wished that our daughter would be able to share the same fun and experience.

But there will never be a love parade again....

I heard about it on my party this Saturday. Pretty much a shocker, this is one of the events that never had any real problems before.

My uninformed verdict: the organisation behind the Love Parade was just plain stupid to make 1.5 million people walk through a tunnel. Also, this "mass-panicking" really seems something happening more and more lately...

This is terrible news. My heart and prayers to all the families of those in this tragedy. I have dug up a fair bit of news on this over the net... so many people unable to come up with anything but "panic" causing the enormous wave of humans to run, flee find a way out of the tunnel.

The love parade had always been one of the most cherished, and positive energy mass gatherings in recent times. They are saying that there will never be another one.

:)

gogo