Anybody out there playing Starcraft 2?

I'm in the middle of replaying the original (guilty confession: I've never actually finished the entire single player campaign!)... I want to do that before I buy the sequel.

From what I hear, Starcraft 2 is pretty short... just the one campaign, instead of three like the original. Apparently you have to activate your product online (no offline activation allowed) and you have to re-activate it any time you update or patch the game?! Sounds lame... apparently Battle.net is having problems too. Good times.

I think I'll probably just hold off on purchasing the sequel and wait for them to release a Battlechest with all of the campaigns... might take another four years, but whatever.

Anybody else playing it yet?

I think I'll probably just hold off on purchasing the sequel and wait for them to release a Battlechest with all of the campaigns... might take another four years, but whatever.

I had almost the same thought..

won't buy it now, on battlenet it costs ~ 59,9 € !

also don't like what they are doing to the battlenet, their idea to force players having to use their Real Life accountname, etc..

all those online registration, activations, etc etc. argh.

kinda scaring me off atm. not my kinda thing, pff.

btw, still, no LAN mode in sight or is there?

unlucky for them, won't get my cash!

(same goes for Electronic Arts and Ubisoft , for the time beeing )

how 'long' is the only campaign SC2 has?

is it 'short' like one of the 3 in the SC1 original,

or maybe a bit 'longer' , perhaps like 2or3 of the original ones, which would make up for only having one campaign..

Which Side do you play in that one Campaign? Terrans? or mixed..

Info: The retail versions should come with a demo-code allowing a friend of yours to play 7 hours for free, if you pass it to him/her.

would like to test the demo of this game as such anyway, despite everything...

maybe it's still a good game, after all .

Last week I had plans to go buy it after I finish working today, but in the end I couldn't afford buying it this month because I had to get my car fixed.

But Yesterday I feared that the whole internet would lag today just because of this game's release. I'm glad internet didn't lag hard or even explode.

Well, since the game has officially been released (several people had the game before today, but the game's installer wouldn't let the game install until today), I guess some of my friends will call me and ask if I want to play with them.

I'll answer them : "Of course I will".

So I'll most likely but Starcraft 2 next month.

Max

P.S. Now I'll be trying to find how many people are/will be afraid or hate/will hate the game's DRM and the fact that I think you need to be logged in to Battle.Net even to play Single Player.

As previous posters have mentioned, you have to make a Battle-Net account to play single player. The tutorials are pretty simple, so you may want to skip them. Away from missions, it's pretty much a return to FMV with a LOT of interaction. During installation, they took a page from StarLancer with an overview of the story being played by audio. Another copycat element from StarLancer is the UNN news segment. I would very highly recommend a completion or replay of the original Starcraft and its expansion before playing Starcraft 2 since you're unlikely to go back to the original once you play Starcraft 2.

P.S. - I heard that somebody from the newer Battlestar Galactica series is doing the voice of Sarah Kerrigan.

Got my hands on the game a few hours ago, and got my butt kicked by the AI (I was Terran and he was Protoss). I think I'll have to practice a lot before really getting into multiplayer.

I'll go see what the custom maps look like. You can almost make brand new games with the custom maps : I've already seen some Tetris, some third-person shooter, and some kind of Final Fantasy.

Max

I ordered my copy from amazon.de just yesterday, since all stores nearby were raided by the gamer mob except for a few copies of the expensive collectors edition. :thumbsup:

I have never been able to play a Starcraft match properly.

I really suck at strategy, even though I love games like that.

I'm always more occupied by placing the buildings of my base and the line up of soldiers.

The fighting and rushing usually ends my reign of terrible symmetry.

"Don't even think about attacking me, or you'll be petrified by my astonishing and well-designed base" -.-

Edited by Sirius

I know I would LOVE this game. It's Blizzard...who wouldn't. I'm just too sunk into Sacred 2 right now, and I've only really got into my second class in the past few months.

I have a question about Starcraft though.. you HAVE to join that site to play? Is this like some kind of copy protection like there was in Sacred 2...is Blizzard kind of running it this way?

It seems a bit unfair to single players... is there anyway they can just buy the game, register online and never have to connect again?

Requiring a player to need internet connection kind of ups the price to for someone who may have just wanted to play SP...

Still, *sigh* the game looks darling.

:eek:

gogo

You have to create a Cattle-Net account for the game and log in at least once. I do believe you can play SP without using the login again, so I suspect the login is primarily for activation and tracking purposes.

Edited by DaveO