Maybe I jinxed it.

Shortly after posting here: click, I started having some pretty hefty problem with my sleep.

I've been having some rough nights since last Friday, when I had a housewarming party from one of my mates. I left pretty on time, because I had to work at the supermarket on Saturday morning. Needless to say, I didn't really get a lot of sleep, but thankfully it was a very quiet day. After that, I jumped right back into bed for some more sleep. Bad idea, because I had trouble sleeping that evening. This pattern remained the same on Sunday eve'. And then the trouble started.

Thankfully this night has been normal, but the previous two nights have been awful. I have been having some kind of panick-like reaction upon falling asleep. My heart races, my breathing is off, and I break a cold sweat. The most awful thing about it, is that after these 'episodes', I'm completely awake, and on top of it: I remain very anxious. I wasn't able to catch any sleep until about 6 a.m.

Yesterday, and Tuesday, I felt really nervous about going to bed and having to sleep, because of these experiences.

And on top of that, my lack of normal sleep left me very burned down, no energy, and my mind a bit foggy, especially yesterday...

Thankfully this night has been normal, but I'm still going to see my general practitioner about it. It was a creepy experience, and I want it to stop. As fast as possible.

I'm scheduled for a 40hr week at the supermarket next week because of staff shortage due to the summer holidays, so I really need my sleep.

Heya,

doesn't sound like fun man! Doesn't sound unfamiliar either, except for the panic.... Usually, to break the cycle, I make sure that I am to tired to even think. A late work-out, or get an hour or two on the hometrainer, followed by a hot shower can perform miracles!

Hope you break that cycle soon! Good luck!

Greetz

Good luck. I am a beast when I don't get the sleep I need.

I do a 30 minutes yoga session (from a show I record on the fitness channel in the morning) and that helps get my mind ready for bed.

I used to have trouble sleeping, but after my doctor recommended me the amazing duo of sleeping pills and more sleeping pills, I'm in daisyland before I even reach the bed. Lalala.

(But seriously, you don't want to walk that way. Try everything else before pills if your problem is chronic sleeping disorder.. I know!).

Sounds like sleep apnea... but could be something else. (INAD)

With sleep apnea, people stop breathing and it jolts them awake. Usually happens with people over 200 lbs... at least 3 people I know have it. They now have machines that push air into their lungs...they wear a mask to bed.

A sleep study (where they hook you up for the night and monitor you) should pin point what is going on.

---of course... it could just be nerves. Didn't you say you'd just finished your higher level education?

Good luck!

Edited by FrostElfGuard
Sounds like sleep apnea... but could be something else. (INAD)

With sleep apnea, people stop breathing and it jolts them awake. Usually happens with people over 200 lbs... at least 3 people I know have it. They now have machines that push air into their lungs...they wear a mask to bed.

Yea, my father has sleep apnea, and it's no fun. He constantly will be sleeping on a couch when all of a sudden he flys awake a few moments after his breathing stops. We keep trying to get him to use one of those masks you are talking about but he refuses to.

Hope your sleep improves Timo ;)

Maybe I jinxed it.

Shortly after posting here: click, I started having some pretty hefty problem with my sleep.

I've been having some rough nights since last Friday, when I had a housewarming party from one of my mates. I left pretty on time, because I had to work at the supermarket on Saturday morning. Needless to say, I didn't really get a lot of sleep, but thankfully it was a very quiet day. After that, I jumped right back into bed for some more sleep. Bad idea, because I had trouble sleeping that evening. This pattern remained the same on Sunday eve'. And then the trouble started.

Thankfully this night has been normal, but the previous two nights have been awful. I have been having some kind of panick-like reaction upon falling asleep. My heart races, my breathing is off, and I break a cold sweat. The most awful thing about it, is that after these 'episodes', I'm completely awake, and on top of it: I remain very anxious. I wasn't able to catch any sleep until about 6 a.m.

Yesterday, and Tuesday, I felt really nervous about going to bed and having to sleep, because of these experiences.

And on top of that, my lack of normal sleep left me very burned down, no energy, and my mind a bit foggy, especially yesterday...

Thankfully this night has been normal, but I'm still going to see my general practitioner about it. It was a creepy experience, and I want it to stop. As fast as possible.

I'm scheduled for a 40hr week at the supermarket next week because of staff shortage due to the summer holidays, so I really need my sleep.

Had a couple of nights like that myself.

It usually happens when you are very tired and have been awake for like 18-24 hours or more.

Drowsiness comes and goes, and at certain points you feel wide awake, even if you have been up for 30 hours.

I have also experienced waking up in the middle of the night, being completely unable to move or breathe, just staring crazy around the dark room before falling back to sleep.

Also, I have had some episodes of apnea. I don't know how to prevent it, but you could do some tricks to help you fall asleep and stay sleeping:

Usually, people with sleeping disorders are very anxious about getting enough sleep, ironically.

This really does no good, as you can imagine. I therefore I suggest you go to bed and try as hard as you can to stay AWAKE instead.

This works quite well, as the harder you try NOT to fall asleep, the faster you will.

I suggest reading some funny cartoons or books, and nothing intriguing or dramatic like Stephen King books and such.

Also, keep your environment dark and warm before you go to bed. And keeping things real quiet shoud also help.

Hope things will work out for you.

Also, I would like to add that some people, like ME, will never get used to getting out of bed early.

If my job started like 12 in the morning, I would be in seventh heaven! Why does everything have to start so goddamn early?!?

That's what killing people! Not beer, not tobacco, but getting UP in the morning!

The panic attacks concern me a bit, dry mouth, un explainable sweats, the heavy chest (I just got pulled over by the police for speeding) feeling. I know those well and they are related to overwelming worry or stress in your life. the sleep apnea is possible too, but as frost said it is usually people a little overwieght that have trouble breathing that this happens too.

My insomnia was worry related. and being totally exhausted certainly helps, but the melatonin was a breakthrough for me. it is not a narcotic, or drowzy type sleep pill (which can be addictive) is just a stress relief/relaxation supplement that does exactly that. And I am sleeping much better this last 2 weeks than I have in a long time. Could be the anxiety of not being able to sleep has subsided a little.

good luck timo! I hope your getting better sleep soon.

I went to the GP. From my background and a quick check on my heart and blood pressure, he deduced it's stress related.

He told me to take it easy the first day to recover from the short nights, and then start hitting the gym for excercise. It will tire my body and empty my mind.

This night I've had another pretty normal night, it's starting to look better. I'm still considering the melatonin, though. Maybe I'd fall asleep a bit better with it. :D

A big relief. I was already considering stuff like sleep apnea, random panick attacks and arrhythmias.

Edited by Timotheus

I often can't sleep when I am forced to stay in a hotel because of job and have to hold a meeting the next day.

Don't laugh, my best medicine against sleeplessness is an mp3 player with animal voices. I put a playlist which starts with songbirds and turns to night active animals and ends with early birds. I noticed that I can't sleep when I wonder why songbirds sing mid in night and that I jump out of the bed when I hear a blackbird while I am sleeping. I think that I slept too long and it would be already 5am in morning :D

So I don't put a full cd with animal voices anymore, but rather a playlist with sounds normal to this time of day.

Living mid in a forest and sleeping with open windows, I guess I miss my normal background 'music'. And it is a good training; when walking with dog and kids I can tell every bird by its voice and impress my kids.

I often can't sleep when I am forced to stay in a hotel because of job and have to hold a meeting the next day.

Don't laugh, my best medicine against sleeplessness is an mp3 player with animal voices. I put a playlist which starts with songbirds and turns to night active animals and ends with early birds. I noticed that I can't sleep when I wonder why songbirds sing mid in night and that I jump out of the bed when I hear a blackbird while I am sleeping. I think that I slept too long and it would be already 5am in morning :D

So I don't put a full cd with animal voices anymore, but rather a playlist with sounds normal to this time of day.

Living mid in a forest and sleeping with open windows, I guess I miss my normal background 'music'. And it is a good training; when walking with dog and kids I can tell every bird by its voice and impress my kids.

It isn't strange at all, Chattius.

Hearing sounds that triggers good memories and emotions would most certainly be relaxing.

If you are used to silence, just put a playlist of silence on your mp3-player at night.

While you all recover from that joke, I can say that I've got alot of experience with Circadin pills (with Melatonin).

What can happen when using them for a long time is that your body might get used to them.

When this happens, the effect will wear off during the night, and you may wake up in like 3-4 AM, not being able to go back to sleep.

I had to get yet another set of sleeping pills from the doctor in order to sleep through the night.

They are called Remeron, and has been effective at keeping me sleeping until morning each day.

Anyway, pills are not a good way to go.

Like I said earlier, try everything else before starting on pills, narcotic of not, they might just mess your head up to the point where you'll need them to get some sleep at all.

I go to sleep to music or the Tv (on a shut down timer so it doesnt play all night). With all that I have gone through in life my "normal" stress level is pretty high and thanks to having kids I'm a light sleeper. I need the background noise to drown out the normal creeks and squeeks of a house and such.

Reading for 30-60 minutes before helps too.

If all else fails benedryl is a sleep aid (they market it in the US as a sleep aid under a different name but its the same drug). I wouldnt take it long term but it can help retrain you to fall asleep at a certain time for a couple of weeks... And its not really a habit forming drug with the added benefit that any allergies at night should clear up *g*

Good luck, anxiety at night can be a hard thing to beat sometimes.

My gf puts lavender oil on my pillow and that helps me sleep and also used to take this pill called Valerian. It's herbal supplement that assists you in relaxing and sleeping.

My mom always used to put drops of lavender oil on my pillow when I was a kid.

The smell kinda sickened me though, and one evening she mistook the bottle of lavender oil for the bottle of peppermint oil, and that was it for me! :cry: