Could a Dryad be modded to use Shadow Veil

Following a post on the SIF forum where someone said that Shadow Veil should not allow a character to stay invisible if they use a ranged weapon, I began to think that is perhaps the wrong attitude. The idea of the invisible ninja type, assassinating peope by shooting arrows or darts at them from out of nowhere, is a quintessential part of the roleplaying ethos and has been all the way back to the earliest D&D days. Who doesn't remember rogues sneaking up behind people to backstab them, using the shadows to remain unseen?

Since hiding in shadows is impossible in a hack'n'slash like Sacred 2, something like Shadow Veil is the only feasible way of achieving this sort of sneaky playing style and therefore totally necessary to the game. In fact I believe that Shadow Veil should be more widely available to characters who could be played as sneaky types, rather than to a beefy warrior whose speciality is 2 handed axes and hammers! Surely the case can be made that if any character was custom made for Shadow Veil, it should be the Dryad rather than the Shadow Warrior? In fact I think it would be fantastic mod if we could give Shadow Veil to the Dryad.

Actually giving Shadow Veil to the Dryad would be easy to do, just cut and paste it in the spell.txt. The big problem is how could you allow her to eat runes for it?

I suppose in theory you could for example paste the CA to replace the Dryads ? Viperish Disease ? perhaps, but would it then be possible to paste the text for the Shadow Veil runes to replace the text for the Viperish Disease runes and if so, where?

To be perfectly honest, I think it ruins the game if Shadow Veil reaches 100% effectiveness and wish it could be capped at say 75%. Especially if it was possible to allow it to be cancelled by discovery, aided perhaps by Enhanced Perception? But regardless, I would love to have the knowledge to to be able to write such a mod!

Perhaps someone could help me out, possibly by telling me what Shadow Veil and Viperish Disease texts would be called (they are in german in the text) and where I should look for the texts for runes?

Edited by podgie_bear

I am not a mod writer, although I wanted to drop a line.

After reading your post I feel you have very relevant points about how Sacred 2 could have used Shadow Veil for a different purpose.

I agree with you 100% on this topic. Only catch I have, *not to create an argument*

The Shadow Warrior by nature is of the Astral Realm. Once dead, but has come back in an Etheral form. Perhaps this is why the devs for Sacred 2 thought the Veil would be best suited for this character class?

Just a thought.

I remain, :)

Hi podgie,

spells.txt:

mgr.defineSpell( "sk_ap_geistform_buff", {
eiStateName = "cSpellCast",
fxTypeCast = "FX_SK_GEISTFORM_C",
fxTypeSpell = "FX_SK_GEISTFORM",
fxTypeCastSpecial = "FX_SK_CAST_K",
duration = 0.000000,
animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM15",
animTypeApproach = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
animTypeRide = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM04-SPECIAL",
causesSpellDamage = 1,
tokens = {
	entry0 = {"et_evade_detection", 0, 10, 0, 41 },
	entry1 = {"et_invisible", 25, 10, 0, 41 },
	entry2 = {"et_invisible", 25, 10, 1, 41 },
	entry3 = {"et_reduce_debuffs", 30, 20, 2, 41 },
	entry4 = {"et_addwalkspeed", 100, 2, 3, 41 },
	entry5 = {"et_evade_detection", 500, 10, 4, 41 },
	entry6 = {"et_is_buff", 1000, 0, 5, 8 },
	entry7 = {"et_ThisSpeed", 500, 0, 6, 4 },
},
fightDistance = 0.000000,
aspect = "EA_SK_ASTRALPLANE",
cooldown = 15.000000,
soundProfile = 0,
cost_level = 200,
cost_base = 200,
focus_skill_name = "skill_SK_astral_plane_focus",
lore_skill_name = "skill_SK_astral_plane_lore",
spellClass = "cSpellSkGeistform",
spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_t_buff",
sorting_rank = 4,
})

the respective rune is (blueprints.txt):

newBlueprint = {
 id = 501,
 name = "rune_sk_ap_geistform",
 palettebits = "1111111111111111",
 dmgvariation = 0,
 minconstraints = {1,9,0},
 lvljump = 0,
 usability = 0,
 allotment_pmfpi = {0,0,0,1000,0},
 uniquename = "rune",
 specialuseonly = 0,
 bonusgroup0 = {787,1000,1,5,0},
 bonusgroup1 = {372,1000,1,5,0},
 itemtypes = {10349,},
 wearergroups = {'WEARGROUP_CENTURIO',},
}
mgr.createBlueprint(501, newBlueprint);

Change the wearergroup to 'WEARGROUP_DRYADIN' Also track down itemtype 10349 in the itemtypes.txt and do the same there. Bonus 372 goes to a bonusgroup that contains the following bonustype:

Still blueprints.txt:

newBonus = {
--  name = "sb_addca_sk_ap_geistform",
 rating = 28,
 basedonskill = "SKILL_INVALID",
 type = "BONUS_ADDCA",
 spez = "EA_SK_ASTRALPLANE",
 spez2 = "sk_ap_geistform",
 usagebits = 65412,
 minconstraints = {1,5,0},
 difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,10,110},
 difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,10,135},
 difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,10,160},
 difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,10,185},
 difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,10,210},
}
mgr.createBonus(232, newBonus);

If you want to change the base aspect to something else, change spez = "EA_SK_ASTRALPLANE", to the desired aspect. In case of your Dryad build any of the following: spez = "EA_DR_HUNT", spez = "EA_DR_NATUREMAGIC" or spez = "EA_DR_VOODOO".

In the original Spell I mentioned above, change the aspect to the same one you selected here.

At last, go to the dryads entry in creatures.txt and exchange one of her spells in the respective aspect with "sk_ap_geistform_buff".

mgr.createCreature {
id = 94,
itemtype_id = 2,
name = "SC_Dryade",
behaviour = "Invalid",
dangerclass = 7,
groupmaxcount = 1,
elite_creature_id = 94,
probabilityforelite = 0.000000,
rank = 999,
tenergy_creature_id = 94,
livesremaining = 0,
unconscioustime = 5,
palettebits = "1111111111111111",
monstertype = 0,
faction_id = 1,
modelscale = 1.000000,
rise_from_ground = 0,
has_corpse = 1,
has_soul = 1,
can_strafe = 0,
spells = {
	entry0 = { "dr_hu_konzentrierterangriff" },
	entry1 = { "dr_hu_angriffsserie" },
	entry2 = { "dr_hu_sprint" },
	entry3 = { "dr_hu_wirbeln" },
	entry4 = { "dr_hu_projektilfokus" },
	entry5 = { "dr_vo_quaelen" },
	entry6 = { "dr_vo_krankheit" },
	entry7 = { "dr_vo_verderbensfluch" },
	entry8 = { "dr_vo_totem" },
	entry9 = { "dr_vo_zombie" },
	entry10 = { "dr_nm_bodenspiesse" },
	entry11 = { "dr_nm_wucherwurzel" },
	entry12 = { "dr_nm_handauflegen" },
	entry13 = { "dr_nm_wacherverstand" },
	entry14 = { "dr_nm_rindenhaut" },
},
}

This guide is for hauling the entire spell over to the dryad. For researching and playtesting. I think it won't be possible for both characters to have it. Well it may be, but I doubt it.

Try this one first. :)

Edited by czevak

You could also 'roleplay' that a living barkskin would allow playing like a chamaeleon and adds stealth to barkskin. So you just have to add 2 modifiers to existing barkskin in this case. Think would be easiest for just testing it out first.

Whoaahhhh!

I am impressed guys! :)

I posted in idle speculation and to try and create a debate about the subject without any real hope that it may be possible and here you guys immediately come back with how to do it! You make me feel a bit like the only moron in a room full of geniuses.

Thank you immensely for the information, I haven't really got time to try it out at the moment (I just took on a couple of major commitments), but I have pasted all the info into a Word document and will make the effort asap.

The Shadow Warrior by nature is of the Astral Realm. Once dead, but has come back in an Etheral form. Perhaps this is why the devs for Sacred 2 thought the Veil would be best suited for this character class?

Just a thought.

I have no argument with that conclusion, but is there any reason why it should be just confined to him? Different characters can 'share' the same sort of CA can't they? ie,

Seraphim.....................................................Shadow Warrior

Pelting Strikes..............................................Frenzied Rampage

Assailing Somersault....................................Belligerent Vault

Soul Hammer................................................Demonic Blow

So why can't Shadow Warrior and Dryad share Shadow Veil? He is an undead creature who can slip into the Astral Realm, she is a skilled huntress who is used to reamining unseen as she stalks her prey and is it any sillier that her use of the voodoo skills? Which by the way could so equally be used by an evil cleric (cue Inquisitor debate?)

I have no argument with that conclusion, but is there any reason why it should be just confined to him? Different characters can 'share' the same sort of CA can't they? ie,

Seraphim.....................................................Shadow Warrior

Pelting Strikes..............................................Frenzied Rampage

Assailing Somersault....................................Belligerent Vault

Soul Hammer................................................Demonic Blow

So why can't Shadow Warrior and Dryad share Shadow Veil? He is an undead creature who can slip into the Astral Realm, she is a skilled huntress who is used to reamining unseen as she stalks her prey and is it any sillier that her use of the voodoo skills? Which by the way could so equally be used by an evil cleric (cue Inquisitor debate?)

Agree with you 100%. Again very valid points.