Why can't I use the Import/Export function in Sacred (not Underworld or Gold) to build up my character?

Why can't I use the Import/Export function in Sacred (not Underworld or Gold) to build up my character? I've tried doing it, but it seems to mess up my quests when I try. I've got a level 31 Battle Mage and it won't let me complete some of the quests now.

Are you importing to the same difficulty level that you exported from? I've really only tried that when I completed the main quest and was moving up -- then, of course, all the quests reset.

I will give it a try this weekend -- although I do have Underworld. Buyt I fail to see how the process would "build up" your character. All you are doing is making a copy of it, then putting it into a new game. No gain I can see. If you are attempting to protect yourself against death, why not simply save the game and re-load it should you perish.

Why can't I use the Import/Export function in Sacred (not Underworld or Gold) to build up my character? I've tried doing it, but it seems to mess up my quests when I try. I've got a level 31 Battle Mage and it won't let me complete some of the quests now.

Once you export a character then import it again you reset the game quests back to the beginning. If you are doing quests that require other quests to be done first then, when you import, the quests already done are reset to not done and have to be redone before you can continue the quest thread. This is particularly true of the main quest but also many of the chained side quests.

I'm doing it so that my chances of survival are greater and I won't die as much. It's a diofficult game to beat, and a built up character is better than one that isn't. Also, the problem wasn't the resetting of the quests. The problem was things missing or the game shutting down so that you couldn't complete the game.

See Prism's SP Master Guide for tips on how to save games at a good spot and then reenter the game w/ an imported toon. http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=453

I've used this method to save a co-op game, for example, right before getting Jacquaire's unique axe from the thief. I then reuse that saved game to get the axe again at higher levels (and only have to click the thief to get it, not redo the entire quest sequence). The co-op game remains at the point where you clicked save, but your toon gets saved at the moment you exit the game... meaning you can do things in the co-op game that get "forgotten" after you leave. See Prism's sections #2 and #4.

I've not tried it for example to save a dragon w/ 90% of its HP gone; so I'm not sure if enemies are fully restored/respawned if you use this method.

To put it in terms of the original post, export/import is not the way to do it, rather local lan co-op save games are the way to do it.

Edited by masteff

I thought that MP servers were down because of Ascaron being no longer in existence? how is it possible to play a LAN game if this is the case? Also, where do you get the advanced configuration tool that Prism is speaking of?

I thought that MP servers were down because of Ascaron being no longer in existence? how is it possible to play a LAN game if this is the case?
Open and closed are dead, but local lan works as it runs the game server directly on your PC.
Also, where do you get the advanced configuration tool that Prism is speaking of?
I doubt it exists anywhere... remember that thread is roughly 5 years old and the tool being referred to is older than than. And most any S1 mod that exists now will most likely require UW as anyone serious enough to mod would have gotten that expansion.

I haven't read that guide lately but I assure you that local lan save games work perfectly fine w/out any tool.

You export your toon so now it's in one of the slots. You start a local lan game using that character, choosing to create a "co-operative" game. You then do what ever it that you want saved (drop some gold, drop some runes, do a quest up to the final step, etc), then you save the game, then you pick up anything you drop, finish the quest etc, then you exit w/out saving again. You then re-enter the co-op game, this time selecting to "load" instead of create, you will then be right where you saved it... with gold or runes on the ground or right before the quest, etc. You can then repeat this as many times as you want.

I have used this method to do things like: give myself enough of a particular rune to max out at level 1, give myself nearly unlimited gold for shopping, save a game at bravemart so I can go instantly shopping, at the location for jason's mask and machete so I can get a new one anytime I want, etc.

Imagine if you did a bunch of quests near each other and didn't complete them and then saved it... you could reload any number of times and complete them over and over and over.

Go try it if you don't want to believe me.