Best unique (or rare) shield for a High Elf

Heya,

would like to bring up Kira's Wall again.

It has:

1: Mitigation (over 20% on a level 230 Kiras)

2: Block chance melee

3: Block chance projectiles

It has the best of both worlds.... tho as Spunky said... it does not drop that well ;)

gREETZ

Overall, elfs defense pretty much lies in 2 combat arts;

Expulse and Shadow Step.

The two modded properly are a must for survival in high levels with elf.

One to make the elf the supreme kiting machine, that stuns on kiting, heals all hp each teleport, and remains invisible... its almost as good as shadow veil.

The second, to protect from attacks that wil outright kill the elf in about 1-2 hits in high levels, as well stack fear. Can just sit in the circle casting while everything runs around.

These two spells offer the best overall protecton for the elf, and are mandatory castings in higher modes.

It's interesting, elf starts out the gate as one of the fastest leveling characters, until defense becomes a necessity.

Then, having to always cast these spells to have proper protections does slow the progress considerably. What are we to do though? can't leave it defenseless...

NOTE: I am finding now with the nerf of all skills/all Combat Arts that elf may no longer be a suitable bargainer, if you wish to play it and do boss runs etc as well. If you plan to just grind xp, it's ok, but Delphic Lore might be needed to ensure combat art protection.

EDIT* Basically, with an elf I notice that some spells are actually making it through expulse, because I am unable to raise it high enough now with gear, sockets, etc.

Cheers,

Expluse is pretty good - however, I've noticed it doesn't do much to stop spells from being cast OUTSIDE of the circle coming in and hitting you. Just ran up against the Sinister Dark Prince dude in the swamps. He seems to favor that one quite a bit. I noticed I could get outside of the circle and blast away at him with Blazing Tempest and Cobalt Strike all day long but as soon as he got too close, I couldn't fire off a BT to save my HE's bacon. I also noticed that my triple chained CS wouldn't jump to the next target if it hit something inside his Expulse Magic field.

Edited by wolfie2kX
Overall, elfs defense pretty much lies in 2 combat arts;

Expulse and Shadow Step.

The two modded properly are a must for survival in high levels with elf.

One to make the elf the supreme kiting machine, that stuns on kiting, heals all hp each teleport, and remains invisible... its almost as good as shadow veil.

The second, to protect from attacks that wil outright kill the elf in about 1-2 hits in high levels, as well stack fear. Can just sit in the circle casting while everything runs around.

These two spells offer the best overall protecton for the elf, and are mandatory castings in higher modes.

It's interesting, elf starts out the gate as one of the fastest leveling characters, until defense becomes a necessity.

Then, having to always cast these spells to have proper protections does slow the progress considerably. What are we to do though? can't leave it defenseless...

NOTE: I am finding now with the nerf of all skills/all Combat Arts that elf may no longer be a suitable bargainer, if you wish to play it and do boss runs etc as well. If you plan to just grind xp, it's ok, but Delphic Lore might be needed to ensure combat art protection.

EDIT* Basically, with an elf I notice that some spells are actually making it through expulse, because I am unable to raise it high enough now with gear, sockets, etc.

Cheers,

Expluse is pretty good - however, I've noticed it doesn't do much to stop spells from being cast OUTSIDE of the circle coming in and hitting you. Just ran up against the Sinister Dark Prince dude in the swamps. He seems to favor that one quite a bit. I noticed I could get outside of the circle and blast away at him with Blazing Tempest and Cobalt Strike all day long but as soon as he got too close, I couldn't fire off a BT to save my HE's bacon. I also noticed that my triple chained CS wouldn't jump to the next target if it hit something inside his Expulse Magic field.

Hi.

This is a special case, his poison 'arrow' attack (his ca) is not considered a combat art I don't think. The servants of the harbingers of death have this exact attack too, and seems to be governed by ranged defenses.

As for you not being able to cast vs. him, this is a simple explanation;

His expulse is stronger than your characters.

Cheers,

Hi.

This is a special case, his poison 'arrow' attack (his ca) is not considered a combat art I don't think. The servants of the harbingers of death have this exact attack too, and seems to be governed by ranged defenses.

Cheers,

I was thinking the poison arrow thing was like a throwing dagger - not so much a CA - more a weapon... I never really had the chance to use Expulse Magic myself at the time as I was too busy blasting his minions and those who were already around him to stop and swap out something else for that CA.

Either way, I think you missed the point - EM is great as long as your targets are all within the circle. However, if they're not - they can still attack you using magical attacks. All they have to do is stand just outside and wail away on you. Granted, SOME damage may be mitigated - if they're using some sort of chain lightning type attack like Cobalt Strike, it'll only hit the first target and not go further. Of course, you need to have companions in order for that to be an issue.

My inability to cast had to do with me being on the INSIDE of the circle. Nothing more. As soon as I stepped out, I was able to blast away at will again.

Hi.

Cheers,

I was thinking the poison arrow thing was like a throwing dagger - not so much a CA - more a weapon... I never really had the chance to use Expulse Magic myself at the time as I was too busy blasting his minions and those who were already around him to stop and swap out something else for that CA.

Either way, I think you missed the point - EM is great as long as your targets are all within the circle. However, if they're not - they can still attack you using magical attacks. All they have to do is stand just outside and wail away on you. Granted, SOME damage may be mitigated - if they're using some sort of chain lightning type attack like Cobalt Strike, it'll only hit the first target and not go further. Of course, you need to have companions in order for that to be an issue.

My inability to cast had to do with me being on the INSIDE of the circle. Nothing more. As soon as I stepped out, I was able to blast away at will again.

I am curious wolf, do you have your expulse magic modded yet? With the 3rd mod Protection, I get a huge boost to Block Chance:Combat Arts which will keep anything from casting on you in or out of your circle.(which I think is r00sters assumption) Otherwise the native spell banishing effects only work on enemies you cast the expulse on.(as you have observed) The undead prince's expulse can also take down your buffs I think. which is not good for a high elf. I keep expulse as an automatic mini-buff to cast freely. that is when I remember to cast it. lol

I was just about to say that DA Lore boosts the spell banishing value.

Not so as I've noticed, if the Dark Prince casts his EM unless I have very high level CAs, I won't be able to cast them either inside the EM or from outside in. Though that was "only" at lvls below ~80. Maybe at low levels he's not got the Protection mod?

I am curious wolf, do you have your expulse magic modded yet? With the 3rd mod Protection, I get a huge boost to Block Chance:Combat Arts which will keep anything from casting on you in or out of your circle.(which I think is r00sters assumption) Otherwise the native spell banishing effects only work on enemies you cast the expulse on.(as you have observed) The undead prince's expulse can also take down your buffs I think. which is not good for a high elf. I keep expulse as an automatic mini-buff to cast freely. that is when I remember to cast it. lol

Actually... I haven't gotten to modding that one yet. Given my HE is only level 36, my points have thus far gone into boosting Grand Inivigoration, Blazing Tempest and Cobalt Strike. I've also got a few mods for the Frozen Fusilade - the ice daggers.. I can see your point - IF you've got EM modded AND you've got it active, it would go a long way to keeping enemies casting magical baddness in check. IF - as you said - you remember to cast it.

Not so as I've noticed, if the Dark Prince casts his EM unless I have very high level CAs, I won't be able to cast them either inside the EM or from outside in. Though that was "only" at lvls below ~80. Maybe at low levels he's not got the Protection mod?

Could be.. Something for further research.

Actually... I haven't gotten to modding that one yet. Given my HE is only level 36, my points have thus far gone into boosting Grand Inivigoration, Blazing Tempest and Cobalt Strike. I've also got a few mods for the Frozen Fusilade - the ice daggers.. I can see your point - IF you've got EM modded AND you've got it active, it would go a long way to keeping enemies casting magical baddness in check. IF - as you said - you remember to cast it.

Could be.. Something for further research.

This is it exactly.

At high levels, the elf wil always sit in expulse, fully modded.

It is by and far the best defense the class has, as it will nullify almost any combat art attack against it.

Modding expulse and shadow step is absolutely essential and should be highest priority with elf.

Lastly, COMBOS! if you put expulse in a combo with your attacks, (I.e. expusle to blazing tempest) you will never forget to cast it.

Cheers,

Here is a link to an older video I made that showcases some things, the first is among the 'immortal-ness' that high elf becomes with a fully modded expulse and shadow step.

It's an older video I made, so please go easy on me lol.

Edited by r00ster

I think 2 years back I wrote that giving away block combat art on expulse magic is the biggest mistake you can do. You can level very quickly in certain areas with expulse modded for damage but you will give away your biggest protection versus spells.

My arcane elves usually have expulse above the malus and shoot from inside the circles.

The usage of arcane lore on expulse is mainly to remove buffs from an enemy or for damage (if modded this way). I normally go for a small radius since I want to keep enemies in my shuriken range.

Even my polearm elves did good usage of expulse. Do expulse and use longer range of polearms to hit the running enemies in the back.

Shield lore and a shield with scaling block chance melee and expulse magic are the elves best protections. Very late game you can spam shadow steps to stay invisible. But you have to reach this point first.

Arcane focus and shield lore are normaly 2 of the 3 skills I bring to mastery first for an elf.

Ok, why didn't I get block chance: close combat on the shield I spawned? Did I do it at too low of a level or was it because I unlocked it with a toon that didn't have shield lore?

grun.jpg

It looks like I got fixed Ranged Defense value instead, the other modifiers, damage, opponents can't evade, att and def are from the forged items. Did anyone else run into this?

Hhhhmm, you might be right with the not having shield lore. All the shields I spawned were from toons that had the lore.

Looks like it needs testing further, won't be able to until later today though.

Thanks Dobster, I just tried a test where I exported my toon with the shield lore and spawned the shield there and still no CC block, but it's strange that I got a much higher Projectile block this time, both shields were spawned in Niob too:

grun2.jpg

Definitely strange unless there is some randomness to these unlock items. I do know too there are other items that don't have all of the modifiers at lower levels. I.e. I just got a low level Silithar's finger hoop and it didn't have the chance that opponents can't evade modifier on it like the higher level ones I've found have.

That looks like its spawned with the block chance projectiles that scales with shield lore, very odd. If you remove some +all skills does the % change?

Maybe is just to low level to spawn all the bonuses yet, try spawning it at higher levels.

I do know too there are other items that don't have all of the modifiers at lower levels. I.e. I just got a low level Silithar's finger hoop and it didn't have the chance that opponents can't evade modifier on it like the higher level ones I've found have.

Yeah, you're right about the uniques found in Silver difficulty - a lot of them don't have all the modifiers because (I assume) they were spawned in Silver. My favorite example was a level 34 Denerva's Talisman with 0 mods o.O found while farming Guardians. Needless to say I don't farm in Silver anymore.

Maybe is just to low level to spawn all the bonuses yet, try spawning it at higher levels.

Or he got Projectiles blocking because it was spawned at lower difficulty?

That looks like its spawned with the block chance projectiles that scales with shield lore, very odd. If you remove some +all skills does the % change?

Yes, I removed some +all skills and the % dropped, I'll put some more levels on a try again.

Yeah, you're right about the uniques found in Silver difficulty - a lot of them don't have all the modifiers because (I assume) they were spawned in Silver. My favorite example was a level 34 Denerva's Talisman with 0 mods o.O found while farming Guardians. Needless to say I don't farm in Silver anymore.

Yep, I got one of those too, level 82 Gold:

denv.jpg

Or he got Projectiles blocking because it was spawned at lower difficulty?

Both shields were spawned in Niob