I hate this place!

Well I have just lost yet another HC character in exactly the same place that I usually lose them. Orc Lands, "The place where magic flows from the earth".

I really hate that place, I lose more characters there than in all the rest of the game combined and it is always for the same reason ......LAG! Even when I am playing SP ofline the lag at that one place is absolutely awful. My frame rate drops to about 1 frame every 2-3 seconds and the game is virtually unplayable, even though I have my graphics turned down to the absolute minimum. Everywhere else plays fine, although I do notice a slowing down in the green mists of the Blind Guardian quest, it is still playable. But as soon as I reach that stupid "place where magic flows from the earth", bleeping LAG!

Is it just me or does anyone else have the same problem? Can anyone think of any reason why just that one place seems to have this problem?

Hmm... Can't really say about MP, but SP works just fine for me. All settings, bare Elite graphics, maxed. It's kinda little wonky at times, but it hasn't, so far, killed any of my chars.

My place of terror is anywhere were the Mist of Miasma is. I think the permanent thunderstorm overloads my graphics card.

That's why I have the weather turned off Frostie.

The swamp (specifically the water) was quite hard on my previous gfx card though (a 320meg 8800).

Well I have just lost yet another HC character in exactly the same place that I usually lose them. Orc Lands, "The place where magic flows from the earth".

I really hate that place, I lose more characters there than in all the rest of the game combined and it is always for the same reason ......LAG! Even when I am playing SP ofline the lag at that one place is absolutely awful. My frame rate drops to about 1 frame every 2-3 seconds and the game is virtually unplayable, even though I have my graphics turned down to the absolute minimum. Everywhere else plays fine, although I do notice a slowing down in the green mists of the Blind Guardian quest, it is still playable. But as soon as I reach that stupid "place where magic flows from the earth", bleeping LAG!

Is it just me or does anyone else have the same problem? Can anyone think of any reason why just that one place seems to have this problem?

Lol Podgie..when this thread first went up, you only had the first line in it... I was at work when I saw it go up...I thought you were all angry at this site or something!

:D

gogo

Lol Podgie..when this thread first went up, you only had the first line in it... I was at work when I saw it go up...I thought you were all angry at this site or something!

;)

gogo

:lol: I added the description when I saw the post. Had me worried Podgie was going crazy on us.

Sorry to hear about your lag problems. I can't remember what hardware your running. is there any chance of upgrade in the near future?

I have definitely noticed an increase in lag when moving into the Orc region. So much so that it has dropped my connection on various occasions.

I'm generally fine if I teleport in though.

Where exactly on the map in the orc region is this "The place where magic flows from the earth". Or are you lagging out when you pass the wall? I get a screen freeze when I fight the Octagolamus right after he dies, I get just past him headed to the treasure chest and I freeze.

Where exactly on the map in the orc region is this "The place where magic flows from the earth". Or are you lagging out when you pass the wall? I get a screen freeze when I fight the Octagolamus right after he dies, I get just past him headed to the treasure chest and I freeze.

When running the campaign its the spot after the GarColosus where you fight the four or five t-energy elemental champs.

;) I added the description when I saw the post. Had me worried Podgie was going crazy on us.

Sorry to hear about your lag problems. I can't remember what hardware your running. is there any chance of upgrade in the near future?

I had a similar problem - Athlon 3400+ single core chip, 1 GB DDR 400 RAM. I upgraded the RAM to 3 GB DDR 400 RAM and most of my lag issues went away. Upgraded the CPU to an Athlon 4200+ X2 chip and the rest fell away to the wind.

Never had a problem with graphics. I upgraded my graphics card a while back to a nVidia GT 220 with 1 GB VRAM. It won't go to the ultra high end with PhysX and such, but it works ok on the default settings.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Nope, I've not had any problems there in SP mode, did have a small pause with my ice HE using Raging Nimbus but then plan sailing. Does using CAs cause the lag or just fighting in that area?

There is no chance that I will be upgrading in the near future I am afraid.

I have never done that quest online, I have this problem in SP every time.

CAs do not seem to be the problem, as just walking down into the pit is enough and since it is a necessary part of the main quest, I cannot avoid doing it. Everything is fine right up until the Orc says; "What are you doing here. This is the place where magic flows from the earth ........you do not look like a warrior ........kill 5 elementals to prove, etc". I start to walk down into the pit and the frame rate drops, the game stutters and plays more like a slideshow than a movie. At this point I have not even tried to to fight/cast/do anything except walk forward. By the time I actually reach the elementals, I could almost go make a cup of coffee between actions! The only character that has successfully completed this quest is my 'veiled' shadow warrior and it took me nearly 5 minutes to kill 5 elementals and that required casting 2 skeleton fortresses, since each skellie fort lasts 20 seconds, that 40 seconds of game time took 7 times as long in real time!

As I said, the stupid thing is that I don't suffer lag ANYWHERE ELSE in the whole game!

Edited by podgie_bear

That spot is usually laggy even on the consoles. I would guess it's the animating of the mutated elementals fighting the orcs in "the background". How zoomed in do you play? Possibly if you would zoom in close, it would reduce the amount of "stuff" Sacred is trying to draw/animate.

There is no chance that I will be upgrading in the near future I am afraid.

I have never done that quest online, I have this problem in SP every time.

CAs do not seem to be the problem, as just walking down into the pit is enough and since it is a necessary part of the main quest, I cannot avoid doing it. Everything is fine right up until the Orc says; "What are you doing here. This is the place where magic flows from the earth ........you do not look like a warrior ........kill 5 elementals to prove, etc". I start to walk down into the pit and the frame rate drops, the game stutters and plays more like a slideshow than a movie. At this point I have not even tried to to fight/cast/do anything except walk forward. By the time I actually reach the elementals, I could almost go make a cup of coffee between actions! The only character that has successfully completed this quest is my 'veiled' shadow warrior and it took me nearly 5 minutes to kill 5 elementals and that required casting 2 skeleton fortresses, since each skellie fort lasts 20 seconds, that 40 seconds of game time took 7 times as long in real time!

As I said, the stupid thing is that I don't suffer lag ANYWHERE ELSE in the whole game!

Bummer... What about setting the graphics display to minimal (that is, if you haven't already done so) - at least until you're done with the pit and are off to visit the old hag? I noticed before the CPU and RAM upgrade, knocking it down to bare essentials would let me get around a LOT better until I got to downtown Sloeford. For me, even that didn't help that much. Just too many people hanging around, I guess.

Here's an idea, since it happens "after" talking to the first Orc when you step into the mist...... don't do it. Start the quest part by talking to the Orc and get the challenge then walk over to where the old female Orc is on the little finger of land that juts out into the area. Use a ranged attack :cry: to kill the elementals. Also when you get near the place zoom in for a closer look, this gives your graphics card less to assimilate, I usually do the zoom in when I run through a town or a high activity zone, helps my puter gulp down the loads of info.