Looking for hardy help to help fill graves

oops

guess I should have said fill in meanings of grave inscriptions :o

The graveyard collections for inscriptions has been a huge success

Grave Inscriptions

..I'm pretty sure the majority of all the inscriptions has been documented...though we are always on the lookout for more. What we're now looking for (and this is where having many many different heads counts) is explanations of what the graveyard inscriptions mean.

e have come up with a new formatting for the explanations which fits right underneath an inscription on a graveyard page.

So...the way to get to your inscription page would be...

Go to grave inscriptions page:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacre...ve_Inscriptions

Then click on a graveyard of your choice:

Orcish Byway Cemetary

Then run down the list of inscriptions on the page until you see one that makes you go.. ah, wait...I know what that means!... then click on edit on the page...the fit in below your chosen inscription, this template here:

:- ''WRITE YOUR EXPLANATION HERE''

press preview, then if you like what you wrote, press submit..you'll see your explanation down below the inscription in nice italics writing ^^

Keep going down the list, and if you see more inscriptions you think you can explain, keep writing 'em in! :P

I've done a efw for Orcish Byway, and will continue on with more today...but there are some inscriptions which evade me...hoping that all of us with different experiences will be able to come up with what this game's grave secrets are.

Or... lol please just write your explanation here...one of us can easily add it to wiki for you.

Thanks!

:)

gogo

You mean something like

Shadowy catacombs: Live and let die -> James Bond book and movie. Title song of same name from Paul McCartney ?

Graves of the Ancestors (Artamark's Gate)

The other Easter Egg here is the mention of Hansel and Gretel, stars of the classic Hans Christian Anderson children's book. Oddly, there was no Ghost Cave in that story.

Hänsel and Gretel should be Brother Grimm not Anderson. They collected the faerytales in my region when they tried to interrogate old people to find old language borders. They were languags researchers first, and there dictionary of the german language was the first one ever. It is still used by researchers to understand older no longer used words.

There are countless variants and parodies of the story. In the alpes it are kids who get lost in the many caves, in our area, where Brother Grimm got the story, they are lost in a forest. I remember even a dark ride called Geisterhöhle (ghost cave) with faerytake figures. Can't remember if it had Hänsel and Gretel. Bet the coders had a reason, but I am not sure which exactly ... :o

There was a not so good south corean movie 'Hansel and Gretel' in 2007. Never watched it, but my kids wanted to see it whn they read the sign while walking along the cinema. Luckily I was told that it was rated 14 years when I tried to buy the tickets.

Black orc down -> Black hawk down? When I was a student we had role play evenings. When we had some drinks to many we started to do a parody of Rolling Stones Song: Paint it black! --- If I see a black orc, I want to paint it red, red of blood .... But I don't think one of the other players had any conenction to Ascaron :P so I think it is Black Hawk Down

Orcish Byway Cemetery

I'd rather be in Mal-Orc-A! The Island in sacred 1 with the orcs and were you got the sunglasses. Mallorca is a spanish island were most of the other germans go for holidays.

Edited by chattius

Perfect!

and actually, if you guys want and it's easier, you can just the info here on this post and we can add it in later for you or you can put it into the page itself... remember everyone from DarkMatters can edit the Wiki...just use your same nic and password as you are using here on this forum.

Cheers

:P

gogo

Perfect!

and actually, if you guys want and it's easier, you can just the info here on this post and we can add it in later for you or you can put it into the page itself... remember everyone from DarkMatters can edit the Wiki...just use your same nic and password as you are using here on this forum.

Cheers

:o

gogo

BTW.. there's another trek egg of sorts in Orcish Byway.... The gravestone that reads "Viking Rule of Acquisition number 1: Remember where you beached your long boat." I've copied it to the Star Trek page... It's a reference the the Ferengi from the Next Gen. Come think of it... It's a double whammy... Remember Kirk had a line in The Voyage Home - something about remembering where they parked the Klingon ship in San Francisco's Golden Gate park..

Updated the page..

Edit 2: Am dying to finally hear the tale Knuckes has to spin with regards to his grave marker in Twainbrook... The one about the pink spandex and the bunny jumpers... :P

Edited by wolfie2kX

LOL... pink spandex...well, actually doing this grave filling thing is really fun. There's a lot of memories for me from the old game with the servers, forum et al... and I'm trying to remember now how everyone got their names in for what reason...

pink spandex, pink spandex...I think it had to do with something with Knuckles and Schot one day in a server...singing or something :o

And everyone here, if you're mentioned on a grave, and I messed up with the explanation of your inscription...

oop

:P

gogo

oops

guess I should have said fill in meanings of grave inscriptions :o

The graveyard collections for inscriptions has been a huge success

Grave Inscriptions

..I'm pretty sure the majority of all the inscriptions has been documented...though we are always on the lookout for more. What we're now looking for (and this is where having many many different heads counts) is explanations of what the graveyard inscriptions mean.

e have come up with a new formatting for the explanations which fits right underneath an inscription on a graveyard page.

So...the way to get to your inscription page would be...

Go to grave inscriptions page:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacre...ve_Inscriptions

Then click on a graveyard of your choice:

Orcish Byway Cemetary

Then run down the list of inscriptions on the page until you see one that makes you go.. ah, wait...I know what that means!... then click on edit on the page...the fit in below your chosen inscription, this template here:

:- ''WRITE YOUR EXPLANATION HERE''

press preview, then if you like what you wrote, press submit..you'll see your explanation down below the inscription in nice italics writing ^^

Keep going down the list, and if you see more inscriptions you think you can explain, keep writing 'em in! :P

I've done a efw for Orcish Byway, and will continue on with more today...but there are some inscriptions which evade me...hoping that all of us with different experiences will be able to come up with what this game's grave secrets are.

Or... lol please just write your explanation here...one of us can easily add it to wiki for you.

Thanks!

gogo

Thylysium Cemetary:

* Dags

Level 162 Dark Elf Ever helpful and friendly, poor Dags talked himself to death.

Dags Clan DA

I had just finished clearing an area of bad guys when another member of Clan DA needed help to set up Ventrilo, so I opened up the admin screen of Vent on top of my game. It took me quite a while to get him sorted. When I closed vent the monsters had re-spawned and killed my Dark Elf....DoH

Dags, hey great yer here on the boards! I've just added your information to the wiki with your inscription. Thanks for the update...and Chattius... lol your post keeps growing! :P I'll start to write up that info into the wiki as well.

Thanks guys!

gogo

p.s. Arperum... lol you grrrrrrrrr.. *points* you beat me out to the cake is a lie /portal reference :o ...just seconds before I was gonna nail it :)

Arperum, what do you think..there's actually a bunch of references to cake in a couple of graves across the land... think it's safe to assume they're all portal references? Maybe I'll just add that same reference note to the cake ones?

gogo

Timing is of essence Gogo :) If I'm not mistaking there was another reference to it on the grave right next to it, but I didn't see it on the wiki, probablyoverlooked it.

A couple of graves to the east of the that one a zombie pops up with the saying "Come on in. There's cake in here."

The german writing of Majorca is Mallorca, fits even better to Mal'Orc-A.

Fortress Reikenstein

Mods from GSF and people from Ascaron managing the forum I think. I think somewhere in GSF I read that one of the bureaus in ascaron bureau quest was from Christiane and had a writing (in german version at least) that she is away for a baby break.

Hissil'Ta Cemetary

Never play hopscotch with a mine laying dwarf.

Never ask a flamethrowing Dwarf for a light.

References to Sacred1

Playing Red Riding hood with a real wolf isn't a good idea.

Another Faerytale collected by brothers Grimm.

Lars' hammer wasn't quite big enough for that last fight.

Lars Hammer was an embloyee of Ascaron. And his name was used to name a weapon. Also has to be contacted in bureau quest I think. Has last fight a meaning we don't know?

I'm getting all the new explanations in. chattius, started to peg yers in. rnarchlord, I saw your entries in as well... thanks for helping out with the wiki...info is looking good...and u put up some new explanations that are eye openers for me.

gogo

Khorum Cemetary - Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Pavlov was the one who fed a dog while ringing a bell and later he had only to ring a bell to have the dog producing saliva. So When reading Pavlov, at least me, always connects it with a bell. Probably I was trained by my school teacher like a pavlov dog :viking:

Last Watch - The last thing Tharkane saw was the spine of "The Codex of Daemons" as it opened and a Daemon plucked the heart still beating... Leaving the eyes undamaged.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Thark..._(Guide)_Part_1

Last Watch - When I was a boy, the Dead Sea was only sick.

Could it really be? The saying is really old, it was even used when I was a kid. And I think it was even in a Haegar comic. But "The Eagles" gave a concert in London in 2007. And while announcing 'Take it easy' they said that they now play a song which is so old that the dead sea was only ill when it was made.

German headline from november 2007 when The Eagles gave their first concert after 28 years:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/eagles-k...nk-war-1.891478

2007 would fit into the time frame of making Sacred2. They repeated the joke 2010 at another concert and another song:

"Even the Eagles themselves were conscious of the criticisms. Sunday night saw Glenn Frey crack an age joke about his own band. “That was off our first album,” he said of “Witchy Woman.” “We recorded it back when the Dead Sea was just sick.” And as Don Henley told Statesman writer Brian T. Atkinson in an interview, “We get criticized for lack of spontaneity, but we do what we do. That’s the school we come from, and it has worked very well for us for almost 40 years.”

Found it while google'ing if the quote was in english newspapers as well. I quoted from here:

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/sha...the_eagles.html

Edited by chattius

Looooooong day on the wiki...but you know when you get into one of those moods... it's like Wiki fevah!

Well,I've gone over this entire thread, as best as I could, reconciled all the info into the wiki graves, and then started doing research on the other ones that kind of rung a bell but needed more explanation. Almost all the inscriptions we have info now are filled in, and as well, the ones that I recognized I filled in as well.

There is some great treasures in this game, and the references are nothing short of genius. I am thinking that besides these obvious ones from the grave inscriptions, we could then move onto town names, unique names.. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Chattius, I loved what you wrote about the dead sea..but I really did some digging.. turns out that quote is actually officially credited to.. dom dom dom dom... George Burns ^^

There are some puns I have left because I'm just tired of them :D But the few that I definitely do know what they mean are very few new, I'll probably be able to wrap those up tomorrow...

Course, if you guys see an inscription that goes Ahhh! for you, just post here and we'll fill that grave up pronto (or add it to wiki with edit).

gogo

Yes the dead sea quote is this old that I remember it when I was a kid. I mentioned it mainly because the quote made the headlines of newspaper because the concert of the eagles in 2007. But we can really just guess if this had any influence.

It's still good info. I think I' know what I'll do now...I'll add the quote as being officially referenced by George Burns...and then write in your notes about the possiblity of the comment making its way into the game because of the concert of 2007.

chattius, are there are any more references left in the graves that you many know?

gogo

If I had more time I would search all graves and compare comments in my english version with the english ones. I have a list of funny stuff, but I do not now if it is just randomness or planed.

For example the name of the orc town you visit before the giant octopus: Za' Zuruik. I never thought of a meaning till our second (she has classmates from bavaria) made a funny try to speak with bavarian slang: Mer zan zuruik = Wir sind zurück = We are back.