Sacred 2 Synergy ...

I know Diablo 2 had it. Tharkane, in another post has said that it was one of the reasons he loved the game so much for, whilst commenting on Sacred 2 not having much of it in the game.

Is this true... does Sacred 2 lack "synergy' for it's mechanics? Eveyone loves to be creative...I do love this process of stacking different things and getting wholly pleasant outcomes that are greater than the sum of the parts... but does this really happen in Sacred 2...did it even happen in the original Sacred?

Is this where Diablo beats out the Sacred franchise hands down?

:)

gogo

Heya,

hmm... D2 had Synergies, true. But D2 lacked the diversity Sacred 2 has.

D2 was truly the best game of its time/genre, but for me cannot compete with everything Sacred 2 has to offer.

D2 is an easier, simplified version that is playable for everyone, Sacred 2 takes somewhat more imho.

Greetz

Heya Barristan!

Ah, I was hoping you'd see this topic and come post...I know you loved D2... I am just wondering...is there anything in Sacred 2 that we could call "synergy" after what Diablo 2 created? I know, for example, if you make some CA choices for ice HE... it can work with other CA choices... does this count as synergy for you?

:)

gogo

Heya,

maybe, but not quite the same.

D2 had a skill trees. A character would use a few skills from every tree.

For instance, a Paladin could cast Holy shield, defensive enhancement. Another skill would give a flat added defense value extra to that skill.

Basic idea was to max out your main skills, and max synergy skills for as much as possible.

The CA modifications in Sacred 2 that are 'synergy' are those that increase ice/fire damage/regeneration for all Combat Arts. Every level in that CA would boost the main Combat Arts, and would therefore be a true synergy. Skills are another system, but are like them too.

Greetz

Edited by Barristan
  • Like! 1

Yes.

Sacred 2 has much better (imo) and diverse synergys with COMBOS and CA mods.

Stacking mod effects on mobs and bosses with 4 move combos, or protecting weak characters with their defensive Combat Arts in combos etc.

Like if your on elfs right now gogo;

Phasewalk with vanish, and heal.

To Frost flare modded to lose attack power, Area of Effect

then Nimbus likewise, lose attack, Area of Effect..

Then Ice shards...

You warp out of danger, slow them, remove their attack powers (frost flare ROCKS when modded with the gold Area of Effect) etc.

There is stuff like this for every character. Tons of ways to set them up.

Synergies in the performance of combat moves via combos. Stacking their modifications in turn.

Characters doing this are immensely more powerful than other like toons.

I love it, because it doesn't 'nerf' spamming/spammy builds, I.e. blazing tempest HE's... but it does give much incentive to be more than one.

• Like! 1

Take a weapon which has natural fire damage. Mod fire skin for x% fire damage and add the fire monkey. Now play a melee elf and use the arcane CA magic coup. It will win/gain synergy from the fire buffs.

synergy means A + B > A separate + B separate

Sacred has this...

For example

More Glacial Thorns + More Ice Damage + More crit

Diablo 2 the synergy would have been

20 pts tiny thorns + 20 pts ice ray (available level 6) + 20 pts (exploding ice ball av. 18) ---------> all contribute to more damage for your super thorns (av. level 30)

Which is entirely unimaginative imho

Edited by claudius
  • Like! 1

Personally, I did not play Diablo 2... But I can comment on the synergies in Sacred 2 :viking:

At first glance, there are plenty of modifiers in the game. Lots and lots and lots... some have obvious synergies (Damage:Fire and Chance to Burn, etc) and some that have to be thought out/learned (Chance to hit additional opponents + exploding weapon combat-arts). Finding and maximizing these synergies has been the biggest part of the game for me, personally. The fact these synergies are hidden sometimes between the skill system, combat-art system and the random-generated equipment system... and then complicated with the slightly off/poor translations, I guess can throw some people off when looking for or recognizing these synergies. Now, it doesn't help that some work only with combat/weapon attacks, or spells, or both, or whatever; but that has been some more of the fun of this wonderful game. I am still not surprised if or when someone finds/exploits a new synergy in this game, because there are so many possibilities!

Edited by essjayehm
  • Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There are two Buffs that do give some very positive Synergy/Bonuses that I know of-

Grand Invigoration(High Elf) - The majority of Buffs give a penalty for CA regeneration(longer CA recharge time). GI however gives a bonus(reduced recharge time) for all High Elf Combat Arts. Whether or not there is a 'ceiling limit' at some point(level 200 not withstanding) I don't know. Its not a replacement for Concentration/Focus even though every little bit helps.

BeeEffGee(Seraphim) - This buff gives + points to the Ranged Weapon Skill. I believe the first level for BFG gives is +4 to Ranged Weapon Skill. There are two things about this - 1) Ranged Weapon Skill must be picked before hand. 2) The buff has to be active. I don't remember if the Seraphim has to be physically holding the BFG for it to still give the bonus or not.

One thing to always look out for with equipment is Damage Conversion to Fire/Ice/Magic/Poison/Physical stuff. Any equipment that give a bonus to all elements in one way or another is also a plus. . .however your character may end up looking like a giant fashion faux paus.

• Like! 1

As much as I loved D2, I think the synergies were a bit of a mistake.

If they had been implemented in the original game, it wouldn't have been a problem, however they caused a lot of skill combos to become quite powerful and as such they had to increase the difficulty of the enemies. This meant that a lot of builds using a mixture of non synergy based skills were no longer viable. In my mind this is much worse than an across the board nerfing (like the reduction of +all skills in Ice and Blood).

The Sacred 2 'synergies' are not all so obvious, but with a lot of experimentation most of them have been discovered. As essjayehm mentioned, a good percentage of them extend past simply selecting two (or more) compatible skills. In this way, they are much more subtle and fluid than D2.

As a side note, it was the same patch for D2 that added a bunch of powerful runes and with the amount of duping going on, really ruined the game experience.

• Like! 1