In the words of Martin Luther King...

Finally got home from the hospital this afternoon. All is well for the most part. The biggest adjustment so far - the taste of cigs isn't quite as I remembered. I went from a pack and a half habit to 1 cig per day while I was in there and I was out for the past 2... Wow.. What a head rush the first one was when I got a fresh pack...

That and how good the taste of REAL food actually is. Oh.. and salt. That's something they completely forget to use when cooking for patients.

Halleleuja! I can now get back to Sacred 2... Somehow Sacred 1 just wasn't quite cutting it.

• Like! 1

Gratz on getting out successfully!

I have spent many a day in a hospital after surgery. I completely understand your feelings toward their food options.

*cough* *cough* *spit* ...*what was that called again?*

I have also noticed a small minor detail regarding hospitals. Everytime I have visited a hospital, I have only needed surgery from injuries. I enter very well other then the obvious structural damage. I leave with flu-like symptoms.

Go figure, huh?

Well it didnt take me long to realize as a teen. People go to hospitals to recieve medical attention. More often then not, because they themselves have flu-like symptoms.

And we go there to become better? This is a double-edged sword I'll never truely grasp.

I remain, :sick:

~p.s.~ Gratz on getting out successfully!

Thanks guys...

And yes, it IS good to be back on both feet - especially the one that got infected... Nasty business. I got pictures of it from the first day - I could scan 'em in and post 'em, but I really don't want anyone losing their lunch (or dinner for that matter...)

The food options made NO sense at all. I mean, if you see "Pot Roast" on the menu - you'd probably expect something with beef, some potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, etc... in a gravy.

Boy was I wrong.. My entire plate consisted of nothing more than one piece of beef that was about 3" long, and about 1 1/2 inches square. Eh? Where's the rest of the food:) Seems I didn't quite understand how the menu thing worked. Seems you have to order EVERYTHING separately.

I hear you on the state of most hospitals. The infection I had was called MRSA - a rather nasty, drug resistant staph infection. From what the Doc told me, the bugger used to be confined to just hospitals, but has since broken free. No idea where I got it from. I haven't been in a hospital in a long while. But hopefully I'm well over it.

Fortunately, the hospital I went to is, by far, one of the better ones. They practiced some fairly strict measures to contain the infection... My doctors and nurses came in usually with surgical masks and gloves. Kinda freaky, but then again, better safe than sorry. It also meant I got to keep a room to myself for the most part.

They had one guy in there for a few hours - but he got released the first day. I'm sure they'll be bringing out the heavy detergents and antibacterial soaps to clean the room from top to bottom now that I'm not in it any more.

• Like! 1

Wow, Pete, I didn't know you were in the hospital. I'm just happy to see you posting as vigorously as before, with the stalwart sense of humor. Staph infection? Do you know where you got it from? I had actually heard of super germs in hospitals, that folks can get when they walk in for one thing and go home with an uninvited guest. How about the smokes, has this impacted that? hey, just glad to see you back on the boards

:hugs:

gogo

Wow, Pete, I didn't know you were in the hospital. I'm just happy to see you posting as vigorously as before, with the stalwart sense of humor. Staph infection? Do you know where you got it from? I had actually heard of super germs in hospitals, that folks can get when they walk in for one thing and go home with an uninvited guest. How about the smokes, has this impacted that? hey, just glad to see you back on the boards

:hugs:

gogo

Geeze.. I mentioned it on your "better health" post. And on a couple of places.

Given the bug is now "in the wild" it's pretty darn close to impossible to say where I got the hitchhiker. I could have picked it up almost anywhere. I doubt smoking had much to do with it - I don't smoke with my feet... :D The odd part - that particular foot where the infection sprang to life had a blister on it from taking a long walk in some crappy shoes. The blister had long since healed - or so I thought. And then suddenly there's another blister - only this time it's not a blister - it's a nasty staph infection.

Thank gawd for free wifi tho... Annoying as it could be with having to accept their EULA terms every few hours and the bandwidth being only 300K down, it was better than nothing.

Still it's best to be home where I can actually get some rest without all the interruptions.. No more 4am visits from the vampires taking blood samples. No more craptastically bad food. No more IVs. No more limited TV... And of course, I can now get on with playing Sacred 2 (which my laptop just can't handle)!

You know, I was wondering what I would do in the hospital if I had to stay there. Yay to the Wifi, naaaaaaaaaaaay to the 4 am blood sucking vampires, and an even bigger yay to your health, vitality AND the game playing.

:)

gogo

Some nasty business there, eh?

Those buggers can be quite tough indeed from what I've heard.

All in all, great to hear you're getting all better after the ordeal. ^^

Thank!

Yup... No doubt about it - the bugger is not something that can be ingored. If the bacteria is resistant to drugs - it's not likely the body's natural defenses could deal with it easily. So, for all it's worth - it's best I went in when I did.. Otherwise, I might have had to change my handle to "stumpie" or some such.

At least it wasn't gangrene...

You know, I was wondering what I would do in the hospital if I had to stay there. Yay to the Wifi, naaaaaaaaaaaay to the 4 am blood sucking vampires, and an even bigger yay to your health, vitality AND the game playing.

:)

gogo

Well... If you've got a laptop - be sure to bring it or have someone bring it in for you. Not that I recommend it as a vaction spot or anything. My only other time in the hospital - I had my gall bladder go south on me 18 odd years ago - I spent 99% of that time sleeping. Good ol' Demoral (VERY effective pain killer)...

If there IS a bright side to it - besides getting over the bleeping infection, I also got a better idea on what sorta things I should be eating - so I plan on doing that in the future as well.