Pic Upload Testors For Sacredwiki - Now Looking!

With pleasure!

Let's start off with the props:

New category; "Artamark Place Images"

New category; "Black Oaks Images"

8 New Image Uploads:

Blackcamp.jpg

Blacktmap.jpg

Blackmmap.jpg

BlackKer.jpg

BlackGate.jpg

Blackfarm.jpg

Blackcave.jpg

BlackMain.jpg

We did have some of those Black Oaks pics already up on the server but since they were so recently added before closing the Photobucket there aren't any thumbnails. That said I re-uploaded them using SacredWiki's File Upload option. It's found in the menu box called "Toolbox". (Writing this for readers who may never have used a Wiki before hence some baby steps). During each upload I:

1. Clicked on the "Upload File" link
  2. clicked on the Browse link
  3. chose the image I wanted to upload
  4. In summary typed, copy/pasted, the Category; [[Category:Black Oaks Images|{{PAGENAME}}]]
  5. Pushed the Upload file button below the Summary field

If you see a warning that the file is not the suggested size you may ignore the warning and upload anyway by pushing the "Save file" button.

When your upload is complete you will be taken to it's wiki page. Every file that is uploaded is given it's own wiki page in order to supply various details about the image. Particularly the category. The category that was typed in the Summary field during the upload process can now be found at the bottom of the Image's page. Bottom left of the page article.

The Image Categories that we will create will act as a sort of gallery. All images of the same category will be on display within the respective category's page. For example, today I created the Black Oaks Images category. That category has been associated with 8 images which are now displayed on Category:Black Oaks Images. Since Black Oaks is a town with the Region of Artamark I also created the Artamark Place Images category. Category:Artamark Place Images will be the parent category for all Place categories pertaining to Artamark. The way we do this is when each new Image category relating to Aramark is created we will need to add [[Category:Artamark Place Images|Artamark Place Images]] to it. If you go to the Category:Black Oaks Images page and edit it you'll see that I've added [[Category:Artamark Place Images|Artamark Place Images]] to it and by doing that the Black Oaks category is automatically added into the Category:Artamark Place Images page. It's a bit of getting used to and almost seems backwards so if you run into trouble by all means ask for help here. :)

Ok, now that we got some images going we need to actually use them in a wiki page. I've gone ahead and done most of the Black Oaks page images for the sake of example. All that I needed to do was replace the existing images using the Wiki's way of embedding an image; [[image:Example.jpg|160px]].

If you look at this edit section of the Black Oaks page you'll see where I've put the new images in. The first image I fixed in that page was {{S2frame|[[image:BlackKer.jpg|160px]]|none}} and the only one left to be fixed is near the end:

{{S2frame|[http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/places/Artamark/Black%20Oaks/Blackcamp.jpg http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/places/Artamark/Black%20Oaks/th_Blackcamp.jpg]|none}}

That's more or less all there is to it. To summarize we first have to upload an image. During the process give it a category. Where no category already exists, create a new one based on the logic of the category I created. "Black Oaks Images" for places and "Artamark Place Images" for regions. Be sure to add Region categories to Place categories. For example I edited the category [[Category:Artamark Place Images|Artamark Place Images]] into the Category:Black Oaks Images.

It'll take a bit of getting used to but don't worry about making a few mistakes. gogo is always here to clean up. :D

Much appreciated Schot :D

The Category part was really messing me up. It's a bit backwards from what I'm used to. By fixing the Black Oaks page and listing what you did here, I should be all set to continue.

Thanks again for the explanation :D

Your welcome Knuckles. :) And believe me. When I first started to try to use categories it was a real mind boggler. I guess we're just so used to drilling down all the time. Windows itself, as well as our experience with Photobucket, teaches us to navigate and construct this way but the wiki... I guess it must have some Mac roots. ^^ When it comes to categories in the wiki instead of drilling down I guess we're building up. I'm literally trying to think of a way to use drilling philosophy to wiki categories and I'm just not seeing it, lol. It really comes down to the inate structure of the wiki software. Everything is on the same level. Pictures, articles, categories... On a wiki there isn't exactly a... *5 mintutes of research later...* hierarchy! In a hiearchy like Photobucket or Windows folder Explorer we're used to looking up and down. Building ladders, elevators and such. On the wiki one thing is never below another. Everything is across from eachother. We always have a choice of creating a mock hierarchy like what we're going to do with Place categories within Region categories but it doesn't necessarily provide a function. Meaning we'll never actually have to pass through the Region category in order to reach the Place category. That's my take on it anyway. ^^ Ultimately categories are not a priority but they can be helpful to us in finding old data and more so for new readers of the wiki. :)

Back up and running :D

Fixed the remaining pages and added some new ones. Just wondering, is there an easy way to move pics from one category to another ? I accidently put another page with the Black Oaks pics. Doesn't affect the page itself, just the pic organization. If it's not easy, I'll just leave them where they are. Doubt it would even be noticed.