Page Name Change Requests

Heyas all. As we delve deeper into the wiki we may discover Page Names that needing a bit of correcting. The process of changing a page name is no simple task hence the need for this topic. If a Page needs to be renamed please ask for it here. Only gogo and I can do this as it requires us to move and delete the page. It's complicated in that a single page could have hundreds of pages linking to it. Please do not change a links spelling when the page already has content on it. Changing the link spelling will cause the link to break. Also. In order to preserve the history of a page with content on it it can only be moved. Simply creating a new correctly spelled page and copying over the content of the mis-spelled page is not an option as that method would not preserve the much deserved credit of those who contributed to the pages content.

This will be more or less a "to-do" listing of Pages that need name corrections. Keep in mind it may take a while before requests are fulfilled. :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Ysne. I'm happy to oblige! However... Since the enemy name for that page is Wolf, as seen in the stats pic below, we must keep the page name as Wolf. As we often say... Game is god.

WA-Wolf-Stats.jpg

There's a bit of wiki link magic we can perform though in order to correct that word on the Brigand camp page. What you need to do is change the second "Wolf" in the Wolf link to Wolves.

Change this:

[[sacred 2:Wolf|Wolf]]

To this:

[[sacred 2:Wolf|Wolves]]

Hope that helps. :)

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Spy_of_the_Inquisition'>http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Spy_of_the_Inquisition

This page should be deleted.

I transferred the info to this page:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Spy

and made sure everything that was linked to the first page is now linked to the second page.

This was another page I made before I had a better idea of what I'm doing.

HI Cath, I checked and saw no links to the page, and was able to delete it. Silver, if you can make the edit changes to the pages that are connecting to the bad page so that it connects to the proper one, I can then delete the improper page after that.

Cheers

:)

gogo

HI Cath, I checked and saw no links to the page, and was able to delete it. Silver, if you can make the edit changes to the pages that are connecting to the bad page so that it connects to the proper one, I can then delete the improper page after that.

Cheers

gogo

I made sure to point the pages to the right link before posting, so that you would be able to delete.

As far as Silver's request, I think the name of the page needs to be changed. If you want me to take care of correcting the links after the name gets corrected, I will be happy to do so.

There are only two links, purification of the temple and high elf quest enemies. I'm almost back to Noriath's corner anyway and will be rechecking everything as I go..

Changing the name of a page can only be accomplished by "moving" a page to a new page of the name we need. We are unable to actually "change" the name of a page...just "move" the content of a page to a page named to the spelling we want. In doing so, all the pages that were pointing to the old page have to be edited to point to the new page. This is the only way to preserve the history pages and make sure that all contributors maintain their history.

And yeah, it's a pain

:P

gogo

Changing the name of a page can only be accomplished by "moving" a page to a new page of the name we need. We are unable to actually "change" the name of a page...just "move" the content of a page to a page named to the spelling we want. In doing so, all the pages that were pointing to the old page have to be edited to point to the new page. This is the only way to preserve the history pages and make sure that all contributors maintain their history.

And yeah, it's a pain

:P

gogo

So I just create a new page with the correct content, change the links and then you delete the old page? I am so dense sometimes. I will do that now.

Ayup...it's pretty simple...cept with some of the older pages with tons of contributors and age...some of the pages have a TON of edits. In this case though, it's simple with only a few edits per.

gogo

Ok. New page is created, links all point to it instead of the old one. The only thing I was unable to do was fix the broken Noriath's Temple link inside the enemy template. I do not know why that keeps showing up in red.

I also set it up with NPC page template.

You should be able to safely delete the anjaros page now.

Edited by Ysne58

Ok, I am going to fix Noriath's temple and get all the links going to the correctly named page. I will let you know when I'm finished so you can delete the old page.

Good point Ysne :)

gogo we got a page name change request for Noriath's Temple.

[[sacred2:Noriath's Temple|Noriath's Temple]]

We need to add a space between word Sacred and 2. The bestiary templates include "Sacred 2" within the code so we can't edit in that section. Not sure how many links will break unless a 'search and swap' can be done on that

Good point Ysne :)

gogo we got a page name change request for Noriath's Temple.

[[sacred2:Noriath's Temple|Noriath's Temple]]

We need to add a space between word Sacred and 2. The bestiary templates include "Sacred 2" within the code so we can't edit in that section. Not sure how many links will break unless a 'search and swap' can be done on that

That fixed itself when I created the new page with the space.

Ok, Gogo, I have now gone through all the links that were connected to the old page without the space and connected them to the new page.

The old page, without the space between Sacred and 2 should be safe to delete.

Ysne...it didn't fix itself

By making a new page and re-typing the links you knew of, is fine but there may be other links in other sections that are now broken. I believe gogo and Schot can do a 'search and swap' command. Just search for the old incorrect link and replace it with the correct syntax.

Also all the 'history' of the page is now empty. So any contribs by other people, including myself, are now gone

If a page already has context in it, we do not move the page but instead request the name change for gogo or Schot to do (please look at 1st post again in this thread)

p.s. also do not assume the links on the page itself are the only links to that page. There can be dozens pointing to that page from any where in the wiki.

The old page has not been deleted Knuckles. The history is still attached to it. I know, because I looked. The new page doesn't have the history, and I'm sure Gogo and or Schot will take care of that.

As I explained in my post, all I did was copy and paste the content on the old page to the new one. I did not make any changes to the old page.

What I did do was look at what linked to the old page and linked it to the new correctly named page. Since the old page is still, and you need to remember that only Schot and Gogo can delete pages, there has not been anything changed.

Anything that links to the correctly named page now shows up in blue. I know that because the picture on the Anrajos page now has a blue link.

Wow guys. I just can't keep up! Another great find. Cheers! I've been looking at this for an hour or so now so not to worry. All of it will be put in it's proper place. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Goodness, hehe. Just so you know it may at times take a while for one of us to respond to this topic. Fear not the worst!

It's possible that there's some concern over the way name changing works and it's something I haven't really outlined in this topic because we 've been learning as we go. So here we go!

There are basically two methods to remedy a name change.

Deleting

When the page to be name changed has no edits or simply a couple of edits from the same person which were made very recently and of little consequence then gogo and I will opt to use our delete method. The delete method entails asking whoever it was that requested the name change to create a properly named page and copy/paste the contents from the wrongly named page to it. When that is done we ask the requester to edit the pages that link to the wrongly named page by correcting the link(s). When we're told this is done we can then delete the page.

This method is relatively straight forward.

Moving and then Deleting

This is a more involving method which is very important to follow when there is a significant amount of history attached to the page. We use this method for a couple of history related reasons. If there are edits on the page from more than one person, if the page has undergone a great deal of change and growth since it's inception or if it's simply an "old" page. Of course beyond those reasons there may be others for which we find a need to maintain the history and thereby use this method of moving the page. Moving, or to move, is the wiki's way of saying "change the page name". When a move is needed this is what we do.

gogo or I will move the page thus creating the properly named page in the process. When we do this the wiki will automatically leave a redirect page. The improperly named page is converted into the redirect that points to the properly named page and thus all links pointing to it, the improperly named page, will be redirected to the new properly named page. After that we ask the requester to edit the pages that link to the wrongly named page by correcting the link(s) within the content and change the spelling of the links so that they point to the properly named page. If there are a lot we can look at other options but most times there won't be too many. When all the links have been corrected gogo or I will delete the improperly named page. As you can see in this method a bit of communication between us and the requester is important since each of us need to perform our tasks in turn. As each completes their turn we need to post about it so as to give the go ahead to do the next step.

Know that gogo and I have the highest regard for the history of pages. They are a testament to all the great work being done and a quiet praise to those who make history. :)

Anett Bolke still has two pages. Edit: Actually there are three pages.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Anett_Bolke

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Anett_B%C3%B6lke

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Anett_Boelke (I found this one here:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Special:Whatlinkshere/Sacred_2:Something_Wonderful) May I go through this page and link all those links directly to the Epic Office Quest page?

I did not realize that the anglicized version was still there or that there were different pages until I was going through the links to Noriath's temple yesterday.

The content is not exactly the same either. The older page is better worded than the newer page. I did correct the quest name on it. If the history is correct, the content on the anglicized version is all mine. It really isn't that great so I'm happy to see it go.

Should I go ahead and transfer the links from the anglicized page to the one with the correct spelling?

Edited by Ysne58