Best place to level? (Console)

I am playing the North American version. I think the worst time, I lost about 1 hour. With the Orc Cave, I was not doing anything other than Pelting Strikes. It was just frequent enough to be infuriating. I have not had a problem there in a while, but I have only been 30 minute runs.

There is one portion of the map I had to give up exploring because it would lock up consistently (3-4 times In a row before I gave up). I also normally skip the Forrest Guardian due to the game locking up

I'm finding general cases of freezing (areas vary if specified, but a lot more complaints about the 360 version than the PS3 version), so there might be others experiencing it.

If it's continuously freezing, then SE Swamp would probably be your best choice, no matter your kill speed.

I really only had freeze-ups when I got retarded with the mods on Area of Effect characters (SW TG or BT Elf). Sometimes with the inquisitor on a spider in a thunderstorm would lock up, too. That was on PS3. Now I am on XBOX and I just stayed away from stuff that overloads the system for the most part.

Lujate: Is that place Grunwald in the Human region by any chance? I remember the lag was atrocious in there (to the point of temporary lock-ups), so I got out asap and never went back.

I can't say I've had any issues with the Forest Guardian, but I've only fought it a few times.

Essjayehm: Same here (taxing the system with a lot of processing at once leading to freezing), but I've never been able to do it with a SW. How'd you manage that one?

Lujate: Is that place Grunwald in the Human region by any chance? I remember the lag was atrocious in there (to the point of temporary lock-ups), so I got out asap and never went back.

I can't say I've had any issues with the Forest Guardian, but I've only fought it a few times.

Essjayehm: Same here (taxing the system with a lot of processing at once leading to freezing), but I've never been able to do it with a SW. How'd you manage that one?

Oops. Should read "Source Warden" :D

Shadow Warrior with a screen full of rallied souls doesn't really lag the system much, I think that was the most :devil: I could come up with for him.

Here are a couple of more data rows:

Jungle:

Orc Cave:

Swamp:

I have started rotating the order of the areas, so that the same area is not always first/last.

I am once again using PS exclusively. I have come back to the idea that the AW/SH combo is a waste of time. I was able to clear the Orc Cave one time in 14 sec, but I do not think it is possible for me to routinely clear it in under 15 sec. All too often, the spiders get in the way, my character decides not to do anything, or an orc or two wander off into opposite corners and must be chased down.

I am working on streamlining my leveling by doing a few things:

1. Eliminate unnecessary movement
  2. Do not stray too far for single enemies (excluding champions)
  3. Pick of mob drops during combat (it does not affect my attacks)
  4. Anticipate the last enemy's death and be moving before the body hits the ground. As soon as I start moving, then I hit the trigger to pick up the last of the loot.

On a personal note, I found one of the last two set pieces that I am looking for. :woot: I now have 8 pieces of the Celestial set that I have been looking for since silver.

On a personal note, I found one of the last two set pieces that I am looking for. :woot: I now have 8 pieces of the Celestial set that I have been looking for since silver.

Nice! I always find that when I finally get to the 7 or 8 pieces of a set, one or two of them are out-dated and I still have to continue looking for updates. Evil, evil game, it is. :D

Nice! I always find that when I finally get to the 7 or 8 pieces of a set, one or two of them are out-dated and I still have to continue looking for updates. Evil, evil game, it is. :D

I am sure that some of my pieces are out of date, but I will not start worrying about that until I have a full set.

Here are a couple of more data rows:

Jungle:

Orc Cave:

Swamp:

I have started rotating the order of the areas, so that the same area is not always first/last.

I am once again using PS exclusively. I have come back to the idea that the AW/SH combo is a waste of time. I was able to clear the Orc Cave one time in 14 sec, but I do not think it is possible for me to routinely clear it in under 15 sec. All too often, the spiders get in the way, my character decides not to do anything, or an orc or two wander off into opposite corners and must be chased down.

I am working on streamlining my leveling by doing a few things:

1. Eliminate unnecessary movement
  2. Do not stray too far for single enemies (excluding champions)
  3. Pick of mob drops during combat (it does not affect my attacks)
  4. Anticipate the last enemy's death and be moving before the body hits the ground. As soon as I start moving, then I hit the trigger to pick up the last of the loot.

All you need to do is kill the spiders first and let them rot before killing the orcs, then they won't be there and you can do -15 seconds no problem.

Lujate: Those points are good ones to work with during the Orc Cave. They will greatly decrease the time that you're in there.

I have another hint for you, regarding your character not doing anything (while you're trying to attack): I found that this problem goes away if you continuously tap the button you've assigned for PS rather than hold it. I've noticed that the constant input will force the character to choose another, more convenient target if they would have to chase the original one, and it seems to get them to wake up if they're not responding (by the 2nd push). It won't interfere with PS either (when it does trigger), so you can continuously tap the button until everything is dead.

A little more tedious (to add to an already tedious task), but it'll save you the hassle.

I'll run your numbers later today and see what we have thus far.

ZardoZsays, I thought about that. With my uber Divine Protection I would have no problem hanging out with the orcs until the spider bodies disappeared, but I am not sure other people would be as keen on the idea.

Mystix123, I will try tapping the PS button and see if that makes a difference.

Sorry about the delay time on running the numbers.

Sometimes I think I should go back to programming, I had more free time then...(lol)

Anyways, the results.

Means and Standard Deviations:

- The Orc Cave now has the highest average (whereas the Swamp used to have this). This shows that the changes are pushing the numbers in favour of the Orc Cave.

- The Orc Cave continues to have the smallest standard deviation (less variation between results, resulting in more consistent numbers).

Significance

- Overall significance has been reduced, because of the shifting from Swamp being the highest average to the Orc Cave.

- The comparisons between the Orc Cave and either areas are shifting in favour of the Orc Cave. The difference between the Swamp and the Jungle is becoming less significant (showing that they may be equal).

Correlation

- The correlation between the Orc Cave and either of the other two groups is becoming less significant (which is what we want in this case), suggesting again that the Orc Cave's higher averages are not caused by chance.

- However, the correlation between the Jungle and Swamp is significant, suggesting that any difference produced between the two are purely by chance.

Examining the correlations alone, we have evidence that the Orc Cave is indeed giving higher results than the other two.

I think we have enough evidence to draw a conclusion now: Best experience is found in the Orc Cave (if you can clear it in roughly 15 seconds, give or take), otherwise, the Jungle or SE Swamp are your best choices (with no difference between the two).

Edited by Mystix123

The Orc Cave having the smallest SD is not a surprise, since the enemy type and frequency are always the same. With the other areas, the enemy types vary (some being more XP efficient, while others less) and so does the frequency you encounter then.

Thanks for running the numbers. I am going to get back to plain old leveling, without keeping score.

Ive found that if you have the right build the tomb at Arkenmark's Refuge can compete with the Orc cave for experience, my high elf couldnt get it done fast enough, however my Flaring Nova/Pelting Strikes Seraphim owns that place, 15 kills in 10 seconds or so... Takes a bit longer to load in/out, but you need to empty the inventory a bit less, also no jerks outside to ZoneFreeze you.

Regarding everyones problem with crap loot, why don't you edit the pickup options?

set it to like 2 or 3 stars, thats what I did when I was farming orc cave, 2 stars I think on reg. items and 1 star on the rest

Should keep inventory cleanER, also I miss the console inventory, could fit soo much stuff in there compared to PC version :P

Regarding everyones problem with crap loot, why don't you edit the pickup options?

set it to like 2 or 3 stars, thats what I did when I was farming orc cave, 2 stars I think on reg. items and 1 star on the rest

Should keep inventory cleanER, also I miss the console inventory, could fit soo much stuff in there compared to PC version :P

Even with the options set to 2 stars for items, a lot of 0 and 1 star items still get picked up on the PS3.

Ive found that if you have the right build the tomb at Arkenmark's Refuge can compete with the Orc cave for experience, my high elf couldnt get it done fast enough, however my Flaring Nova/Pelting Strikes Seraphim owns that place, 15 kills in 10 seconds or so... Takes a bit longer to load in/out, but you need to empty the inventory a bit less, also no jerks outside to ZoneFreeze you.

My biggest problem with it its the OMG long walk to get there.

It takes two minutes to walk there, then you activate the port and you have permanent access. Not exactly a chore.

It took me longer than 2 minutes to fight my way thru the legions of bad guys to get there. AFAIK, the closest portal is at the castle a good distance to the southwest.

South of entruag there is a big battle against trolls and orcs and there are huge armies there, also nice spot for expierience ( my favorite). Maybe worth a try and test ;p

That is part of the main quest, right? My two problems with that area are the orc "friendlies" that get in the way, and the fact that the enemies do not respawn.

Even with the options set to 2 stars for items, a lot of 0 and 1 star items still get picked up on the PS3.

Really? never seemed to do that for me :P Guess I was lucky... although it should help keeping most of them away, and once you've gotten used to it you can just browse through all items fast as Shiet and dump everything on sight.. Doesn't take that long

Ok I tested Arkenmark's Refuge vs Orcs,

Level 51 DW Seraphim/Gold

+70% experience

125 All skills

The load times were wonky, on two test runs it loaded very quick, on the other two it was slow like +5 seconds vs. orc cave load. Also I killed an inconsistant number in Arkenmark, usually leaving 1-4 of the monsters in the first two rooms.

No Bugs Orc cave,

I had a 1390 experience/sec, 15sec/run(approx)

Arkenmark, Slow load, 25sec/run

1520 experience/sec

Arkenmark, fast load, 20sec/run

1732 experience/sec

(I think it gets better once the outside creatures sort of glitch and stop loading en mass.)

Keep in mind I have a build for this spot, my elf would have reversed results. I had 4sec/hit regen, 40%banish and anti-undead cleansing brilliance. I did Nova/P-strikes/P-strikes and it pretty much clears the place, 3champ zombies/1 champ rat and about 12 other normal zombies/rats. Obviously it has weaker weapon/money loot, though the set peices seem to be a bit easier to get.

Don't know about higher levels, but it's working well for me below level 100(76 now)