Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

I haven't been around much lately, but it doesn't mean that I don't love you guys. Been a bit busy and haven't really felt the urge to play Sacred 2. Been spending my time playing facebook games.

Recently took a long overdue vacation. Some of the Wife's family was visiting from Indonesia and they wanted to see some snow. They took my son and headed off to Colorado while we stayed at home with the three girls. That was on December 27, Monday. By Wednesday, we packed up the van and drove to Williams, AZ to ride the Polar Express with the group from Colorado.

Well, they got stuck in the snow and never quite made it. We nearly had an accident when I drove through a snow drift and my brakes gave out.

We hung out, took some pictures and whatnot, making our way for our next destination: Laughlin. Some time during the evening, our missing party made it to Williams. Polar Express was closed and we already changed our reservation to the following day. The snow had increased substantially and it took them 12 hours to reach us--it took us about an hour and a half to make the same drive.

The next day we did a bit of sight-seeing and made our way for our final destination....Sin city...Las Vegas.

Didn't know quite what to expect; new years in Las Vegas. Not really my cup of tea any time of the year. Let's just say, that it was interesting. There were fights and arrests...someone died that night.

Funny thing happened the next day. We were considering the drive home and everyone wanted to see the stratosphere. While my son, sister-in-law and my wife's two young cousins rode the rides, the rest of us walked the shops. I came across a place selling g-strings and pasties. In the doorway, they had one made of candy.

I sat there, staring at the display until my wife came along. As we laughed, we didn't notice my 7 year old walk up. I stopped her just as she was leaning in for a taste. It was candy after all.

I do have some bad news. I've been a bad boy. It seems that I have gained back 40 of the 60 pounds that I lost. And a painful bout of sciatica has put an end to my stair running and afternoon walks for a while. So I have had to unpack my bigboy pants until I find the will power to drop the weight again.

That's what I've been up to lately. I hope that everyone had a great holiday season.

Sil, don't stay away so long next time. I love reading your prose. I was actually up early this morning when this post hit the boards, but I was so tired, I just couldn't lift even a baby finger to spin out a welcome back. So.. welcome back! Thanks for sharing the tale of your holiday adventures with us. You're always found a way to get an angle on events that just makes me think I''ve downloaded a short version of an ebook or something ^^

And please don't be dismayed by the setback for weight. Weight isn't everything, just one of the blocks! You'll find that wherewithal again. Just look at those awesome pix of you on the beach with your family you showed last time. You were looking fit, happy... I have a feeling you'll soon want to re-visit that part of your life, and this time elect to make the stay more permanent.

Stay positive!

:)

gogo

Hey there Sil'. Good to hear from you my friend.

You are not alone in the weight gain. I've put on a lot of extra padding recently ! I just know that my diabetic nurse will do her nut when I next see her........*gulp*

I'm gonna start yet another diet tomorrow............let's hope it can at least last the day.

Hope to see you around.

Steve. :)

I just know that my diabetic nurse will do her nut when I next see her........*gulp*

Ah, so Steve you really were assessed with diabetes? Do you mind if I ask if it's type two or one? Are you taking metformin, and and doing any thing else to keep the sugar down? It was a big life changer for me. One month of dropping breads and rice, and I lost twenty pounds. lol, I now have actually started buying oil for my steaks cuz I like that "sear" ...but even with all the extra meat eating, and use of oil, the weight's not coming back...course the lots of extra walks while working help too.

gogo

I just know that my diabetic nurse will do her nut when I next see her........*gulp*

Ah, so Steve you really were assessed with diabetes? Do you mind if I ask if it's type two or one? Are you taking metformin, and and doing any thing else to keep the sugar down? It was a big life changer for me. One month of dropping breads and rice, and I lost twenty pounds. lol, I now have actually started buying oil for my steaks cuz I like that "sear" ...but even with all the extra meat eating, and use of oil, the weight's not coming back...course the lots of extra walks while working help too.

gogo

Hi there Gogo.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2006, but I had been unwell for a while. I put my ill health down to many things, and was shocked to the core at being told I was diabetic !

I am on quite a bit of meds. I take daily :-

4 x of 500mg metformin tabs, 2 x of 80mg gliclazide tabs, 1 x 100mg sitagliptin tab, 1 x dispersible aspirin, and 1 x multi vitamin.

I rattle as I walk !

I am supposed to excersize vigerously for 30 mins a day.............but I don't. I am also guilty of not keeping an eye on my weight, which got me in trouble in the first place. I started my new diet today, and really need to pull my finger out.

With a bit of effort, I can do the diet, not easy, but doable. The big stumbling block is the excersize, it always has been.

I think I have a bad alergy to excersize. I get breathless, I go red, and I break out into a sweat ! :whistle:

Sugar is in so many things. It is only since I have been looking at labels that I realised, I honestly didn't know how much sugar is in things. A massive shock was things like breakfast cereals. You can have a whole days worth of sugar in just one bowl of some popular brand cereals ! Shame on them. Even a lot of yoghurts are high in sugar. For all those years, I thought I was being healthy by eating them. Talk about naive !

Steve.

My circumstances were a little different but maybe the solution is the same. After my car accident I was really out of shape and weak. I was told the same thing, exercise, exercise and more exercise. Only problem is, is that I'm lazy by nature (only at home - at work I'm a machine) and if I can get out of doing something, I will.

A friend had an idea and it really killed two birds with one stone. My daughter had always wanted a dog. We found a 4 year old golden retriever that was free to a good home. Now I can be lazy, but not when it directly affects the health of another. And goldens need a lot of exercise, it's what forced me to walk for 30 to 60 minutes every day. I don't know if this is feasible for you Steve but I thought I'd throw it out there. And good luck with the diabetes and the diet :D

My circumstances were a little different but maybe the solution is the same. After my car accident I was really out of shape and weak. I was told the same thing, exercise, exercise and more exercise. Only problem is, is that I'm lazy by nature (only at home - at work I'm a machine) and if I can get out of doing something, I will.

A friend had an idea and it really killed two birds with one stone. My daughter had always wanted a dog. We found a 4 year old golden retriever that was free to a good home. Now I can be lazy, but not when it directly affects the health of another. And goldens need a lot of exercise, it's what forced me to walk for 30 to 60 minutes every day. I don't know if this is feasible for you Steve but I thought I'd throw it out there. And good luck with the diabetes and the diet :D

Hey there Knuckles.

That's a very nice idea, and owning a dog would be sweet, but :-

A). I only live in a tiny flat, and it would be very selfish to keep a dog in here. It's cramped enough with just me, lol !

B). It would break my tenancy rules, as it is a strict no pets contract............not even a goldfish. *sigh*

I'll keep buying a lotto ticket each week, and maybe one day I can get myself some pets. I would love a bunch of them, tbh.

Probably the best solution, for the time being, is to walk into town each day. It's around 20 mins each way. I could maybe just buy a paper or something, as an excuse for the walk. It's the getting out of the armchair bit that's the toughest !

Bye for now,

Steve. :)

Edited by cider_steve