What is closed net, LAN, open etc.?

I was just wondering how it works. I know nothing about it lol ;) so if anyone could point me to some resources to explain? Like what is closed net, LAN, open etc.?

It's not too complicated.

LAN - Local Area Network. You need 2 or more PCs networked together so they can all connect to the same game.

Closed-Net - Games are hosted on Deep Silver's servers. You connect to their servers, log in, create your character and go play. No mods are allowed -hence the name "Closed-Net".

Open-Net - Games are hosted on Deep Silver's servers. You connect, log in, create your character - but certain game elements are hosted locally and mods are allowed.

Not quite sure how Co-op mode is any different from the above scenarios.

LAN = Local Area Network - Basically means having friends over and playing on the same network (router/hub)

Open Servers - You play On-Line and your characters are saved on your pc. This means you can play with mods and tweak files as you want

Closed Servers - Again On-Line play but the characters are saved on the company's servers. Thus you have no access to modify character files or add any mods like the CM Patch. Also most consider this the most 'cheat-free' environment

From the Wiki

Game Modes

• Players can choose from unlimited lives (normal or softcore) or a single life (hardcore) for their characters.

Single Player - The player fights as a solo hero, but will be able to recruit AI-controlled mercenaries.

LAN - The number of players who will be able to play simultaneously in a LAN session typically depends on the capacity of the local server. All multiplayer options will be available. There will be an additional campaign mode for up to four players. Generally, the session server for a LAN game will have to register in the multi-player lobby before starting the game.

Open Games - Online multiplayer games that are connected via the lobby but take place outside the closed Ascaron Net.

Closed Games - Online multiplayer games that are connected via the lobby and take place inside the closed Ascaron Net

Campaign Mode - Up to five players may join to play the campaign. The players will be automatically placed into a party. On the PC version quest progression starts at the point the Host had reached. Any player joining who was not yet at that point will have no quest progression saved to his log. All players in the party obtain credit for the completed quests.

Free Mode - A set number of players may play on one server, with the following options:

• Free play (Player vs. Environment, or PvE) with up to 16 players (platform dependent).
  • Player vs. Player (PvP) in groups of up to five players (platform dependent).

Note that only players of the same alignment (Path of Light or Path of Shadows) will be allowed to party.

Oh ok so you wouldn't be able to transfer a char from single player mode to any of those options then? Thanks for all the replies :)

AFAIK, you can play an SP character in LAN mode.

Oh ok so you wouldn't be able to transfer a char from single player mode to any of those options then? Thanks for all the replies :)

Kinda. You can load up a single player character in a LAN game, BUT (there always is a big one of those) it will not save any campaign progress. Nor will it save any chests/barrels/whatnot that you've already opened. The same goes for wells and fountains. About the only things you will be able to keep - experience points, gold and stuff you've collected that is in your inventory or player chest.

Kinda. You can load up a single player character in a LAN game, BUT (there always is a big one of those) it will not save any campaign progress. Nor will it save any chests/barrels/whatnot that you've already opened. The same goes for wells and fountains. About the only things you will be able to keep - experience points, gold and stuff you've collected that is in your inventory or player chest.

Actually, in LAN play you can play freeplay games where campaign progress is not saved as wolfies says, however you can also create a campaign server which will allow you to do the campaign. The same goes for open games and closed, you can run the campaign online.

Actually, in LAN play you can play freeplay games where campaign progress is not saved as wolfies says, however you can also create a campaign server which will allow you to do the campaign. The same goes for open games and closed, you can run the campaign online.

Really? Last time (in fact, every time) I've loaded a single player char in a LAN game, it comes back with a warning that the save game is not compatible and progress will not be saved.

In order to play a LAN game and have it save your progress, you have to create the character as a multiplayer character.

The reverse is also true. You can load a Multiplayer char file as a single player, but your progress will not be saved. In fact, even if you were about to go into the Machine and whack the guardians in your LAN game, if you load it as a single player, you will be sent back to wherever your charcter normally starts - complete with the starting video.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Well, guess Im wrong :) Looks like I shouldnt have assumed MP created character behaviour to hold true for SP created characters. However, is that what coop is for...I remember reading before S2FA was released that players would be able to go online with their SP toons to get help if they were having difficulty...

Well, guess Im wrong :) Looks like I shouldnt have assumed MP created character behaviour to hold true for SP created characters. However, is that what coop is for...I remember reading before S2FA was released that players would be able to go online with their SP toons to get help if they were having difficulty...

OK.. So that explains what Coop mode is all about.

I think...

I think...

Er... You think...?

I think...

Er... You think...?

Well, I think thats what it does. I've never actually used co-op mode....:)

I think...

Er... You think...?

Well, I think thats what it does. I've never actually used co-op mode....:)

Ok.. Don't suppose you recall where you read it...

IIRC Co-op was where a SP character could get assistance with say for example Gar Colossus from another player over a LAN. But the 2nd player would not have his quest progress saved. Only the person creating the game would have his/her campaign progress updated.

I have been curious as to what constitutes a LAN (for the purposes of Sacred), but since I do not know anyone else with the game, it is purely academic.

I have been curious as to what constitutes a LAN (for the purposes of Sacred), but since I do not know anyone else with the game, it is purely academic.

The same thing that constitutes a LAN in any other definition of the term... A minimum of 2 computers, some ethernet, a switch, hub or router if you're wired. Wifi cards and an access point otherwise. Note: since Ice and Blood, Sacred 2 also supports ad-hoc networking (no access point required - the computers talk directly to each other). Both running Windows XP, Vista or 7, Sacred installed on both.

For simplicity's sake - player 1 starts off by loading the game, clicking the Multiplayer button, Select the character file he wants to play, the LAN button on the next screen and then create game. Name the server, type of game (free or campaign) set the level (Bronze or Silver) and go.

Player 2 then loads the game, clicks multiplayer, selects his character, enters the lobby and waits - he should be able to find the other PC's server broadcasting over the LAN. He can then join the game. Both parties wind up on Start Island.

OK, so the server broadcasts over the LAN and the client listens. What constitutes a LAN? The subnet where the server resides? Other subnets in the server's routing table?