Party time

With 5 kids there are a lot of parties, and I am always looking for nice recipes:

Our last try were Kartoffelschlangen = potatoe-snakes. When we re-do them I have to do some photos with my rolleiflex. It all started when we visited our daughter at hospital in Munich and the other kids were buying selfmade potatoe-chips at a market. It were selfmade potatoe-chips in an unusual shape: twisted-potatoes.

4051118173_7940144c65_o.jpg

I was googling a bit and found a company selling a special potatoe cutter: http://www.twistedchipsshop.com/?gclid=CKiFrrazlqgCFQuEzAodb33MDA

On the page is also a video how the cutter works. It looked somewhat common and then I thought this machine isn't new, they are used for centuries already: not for doing twisted potatoes but to do twisted Bierrettiche (known in the world from Munich Oktoberfest and would translate as beer raphanus).

radischneidmaschine_gross_big.jpg

or you can use a small kitchen tool if you don't want to do many potatoes.

153775_T.JPG

800px-Rettich_2008-3-3.JPG

It is then served twisted on a table:

220px-Radi.jpg

So how we did the potatoe-snakes:

We tried remaking the twisted potatoes at home. I cleaned my Drechselbank(lathe) which I use for wood working. A bit fine tuning of the cutter knives and we could do chips, twisted spirales, long stripes, ..... A long stripe which was just a bit twisted looked like a snake, as our seven year old said. So we changed a bit: we halved the potatoe, skinned the potatoe except the first centimetre, and cut spirales only into the skinned part. The snake was then deep fried and dipped into a green pesto. At cooling down it got a nice green colour. The round unskinned and uncut potatoe top was forming the snake head. Two drops of red pesto doing the eyes and a leaf of red salade was cut into the shape of a snake-tongue and glued with a drop of hot cheese to the snake head. A nice and eatable decoration for a kids birthday and every kid had a lot of fun doing the snakes.

Self-made potatoe-sticks formed as a nest filled with different salades

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17675

9902387630.jpg

Self madee potatoe-chips, shrimps and zucchini salade decorated as a flower

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17675&view=findpost&p=6923009

full_kartoffelblte500.jpg

Layered salade

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18265&view=findpost&p=6924312

276255-big-fruchtig-pikanter-schichtsalat.jpg

• 5 months later...

Apple-Chips

As a father of 4 daughters and having a doc wife I was told more than once that potato-chips are no healthy. So we are doing a no fat replacement: chips from dried fruits. All you need is:

apfelchips-01.jpg

The apple-corer are nowadays in different forms: circle, star, square, ... but I like the circle best.

Add a drying device:

time:

really large amounts, takes some time, should be done while garden work, or kids playing in garden to keep birds away, good control of drying process

cross factor: easy control, to get them really cross you need a real sunny place and you have to swing the rope(s) from time to time to get upside down.

Yes time is one. Put the rings on a long rope and tie the end to 2 trees and wait for the sun

microwave

small amounts, but quick, cross factor: needs fine tuning easily too soft or black

Working best for me: do 2 triangles from wood, to hold a wooden pole put through the rings. Keep some distance between the rings

You can also lay the chips on a holed plate, mesh, ... but you have to turn at half time.

oven (the classical one used to heat the room):

medium amounts, nearly same as sun drying

rings on ropes , placed above the oven

hot air baking oven:

medium to large amounts, good control, cross

medium amount: use mesh's placed into the plate holders

8340.jpg

large amount: cut poles as long as the baking plates are wide. My (industrial) oven can hold like 30 poles with 6 apples each. You have to keep the door a bit open to let moisture out. Less energy costs if run early morning timer controlled. House is warmed up a bit already when waking up and a nice apple smell is all around.

elma2.jpg

We do them thinner as in the above pictures.

My ground oven placed into the staircase:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/18412-what-is-the-latest-big-real-life-project-you-started/

Big amount no extra energy costs, but more dried fruits than chips: low cross factor

We tried so far chips from:

apples, pears, quinces, Speierling, Mispel, big rose hips, rutabega, ... all from our trees and garden

Spices:

sugar

salt and pepper

chilli

horse-radish (I hate the green colour of wasabi)

Put in cellophan bags with nice hand written labels they are a nice birthday gift for people who have all and everything except handmade chips ;)

I'm having my "going away bash" tomorrow, to say goodbye to all my Pretoria friends before I move down to Stellenbosch. And I made all the things myself.

Mini meatballs

post-15332-0-89367400-1318089975_thumb.jpg

Jello Shots with 2 layers Jello.

post-15332-0-37009100-1318090003_thumb.jpg

South African Milktart!

post-15332-0-08326900-1318090044_thumb.jpg

Cherry and Brandy Muffins

post-15332-0-19556300-1318090085_thumb.jpg

Cinnamon, Raisin and carrot Muffins

post-15332-0-93629200-1318090139_thumb.jpg

Each guest has to bring their own cooldrinks/booze/what ever they feel like drinking, and a few bags of chips should be nice munchies, or what say you?

Delta!

I'm having my "going away bash" tomorrow, to say goodbye to all my Pretoria friends before I move down to Stellenbosch. And I made all the things myself.

Mini meatballs

08102011530.jpg

08102011534.jpg

South African Milktart!

08102011532.jpg

08102011531.jpg

08102011533.jpg

Each guest has to bring their own cooldrinks/booze/what ever they feel like drinking, and a few bags of chips should be nice munchies, or what say you?

Delta!

amazing work!

I wish I was talented enough to craft that many food items for all my guests. Good for you Theuns, and best luck on the move, I'm excited for you new adventure, take all stories from this last party with you!

:bounce:

gogo

Mini meatballs

08102011530.jpg

08102011534.jpg

South African Milktart!

08102011532.jpg

08102011531.jpg

08102011533.jpg

Delta!

amazing work!

I wish I was talented enough to craft that many food items for all my guests. Good for you Theuns, and best luck on the move, I'm excited for you new adventure, take all stories from this last party with you!

Chattius, this is a few times now that I've seen mention of your corers, it's a day off today, I'm off and out to buy one and give it a an experimental go... beware my friends

gogo

What do you serve together with the mini meatballs? SAdly each of my kids have another favourite:

meatballs with potatos, potato dumplings, Spätzle (noodle with a rough surface, suking up more sauce), potato croquettes, ...

With the mini meatballs, sweet chilli sauce, and cream chees, strange but delicious combination

amazing work!

gogo

thank you, I'm really excited, and I'm gonna miss all my friends in Pretoria a lot. but I know I'll make more, and at least I'll see one of my best friends regularly, he is studying in Stellenbosch. and it is an adventure I'll take on with full force and determination! TO INFINITY! AND BEYOND! :D

Delta!