Hi.

Ok, whilst this isn't a 'new' game, it is new to me !

I was in a store when I found the Spell Force Universe package, which has 1 & 2 with all add-ons.

While I have heard of the game, I've never tried it before, and at £9.99 I couldn't really go wrong.

No idea if it's any good, but I'm going to find out............at the worst, I've wasted ~£10.

See ya,

Steve. :)

Oh, and btw, the same store had the Michael Jackson album Bad at just £3 ! I snapped that up no problem. I keep meaning to get Bad, Thriller and Off the wall, so needed no prompting. ;) Now I just need to find the other two cheap, haha.............yes, I am a tight *bleep* :tongue:

Those three albums, iirc, were produced by Quincy Jones and are amazing pop LP's................but I've diverged enough from my thread title, lol !

Got the same package some time ago from Play. Started it and quite liked the general idea. Just lacked the time to concetrate adequately. And then came the hd crash... But in any event, if you're into RPG/strategy it's a good purchase. Considering it has all the addons and such for the main games.

Edited by Stormwing

Thankyou for your thoughts Stormwing.

I've had a quick look at the first game, and it plays very nicely. Though a lot will not think much of the dated graphics, I like the old school feel of the game. I'm going to experiment for a while before throwing myself in fully. Try out different classes etc.

A couple of months ago we had a bit of a resurgance of interest over at Clan DA in Spellforce 1&2.

The threads are here and here.

There is some discussion about bugs with quest progression with the Dragon Storm expansion as well as some talk about running under win7 and widescreen support, etc. You might find something interesting there Steve. :)

Personally I love the games. They do a great job of combining the rpg and strategy genres imho.

The first is more strategy based while the second has more rpg aspects.

After I finish playing Dungeon Siege 3, the Spellforce games are among the list of games I want to return to again.

Thanks Steve.

I hope I don't run into too many bugs, especially as I am running Vista & not 7, but I'll just have to see.

Quite surprised at the way the game has gone so far, certainly not what I was expecting. So far it has been more like a medieval Command & Conquer than an rpg ! But hopefully I can move on from building a village and getting resources to more action soon.

I played both and both were extremely good games! As all reviews go: neither game is a really solid RPG or a really solid RTS, but I still thought that the games do a good job of meeting the 2 genres halfway. I liked that there is no Inventory limit. (well IIRC - you get 99 pages of inventory :cow_white: ). Certainly worth the buy if you never played it before!

SF1 turns out some pretty powerful heroes. Later on in the game I cleared out about 90% of any new map with just my heroes, before starting work on my armies. SF2 is more of a challenge if you try the same...

I tried loading Spell Force 2 onto my new laptop but ran into the Win7 issue :twitch: and then just got a copy of Dragon Age Origins instead :)

I played both and both were extremely good games! As all reviews go: neither game is a really solid RPG or a really solid RTS, but I still thought that the games do a good job of meeting the 2 genres halfway. I liked that there is no Inventory limit. (well IIRC - you get 99 pages of inventory :cow_white: ). Certainly worth the buy if you never played it before!

SF1 turns out some pretty powerful heroes. Later on in the game I cleared out about 90% of any new map with just my heroes, before starting work on my armies. SF2 is more of a challenge if you try the same...

I tried loading Spell Force 2 onto my new laptop but ran into the Win7 issue :twitch: and then just got a copy of Dragon Age Origins instead :)

Hey there. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sadly a lot of older games don't like Win7. I think I'll stick with my Vista for the time being, especially as I'm in no rush to upgrade my pc.

I remember Spell force, it was an option for game in while waiting for Sacred 2 to get here. Very "magical" looking, but I remember my computer's card not being strong enough to handle it way back when.

:)

gogo

Wow, some of the mobs in this are well tough !

One bit near some mines you can ( it's a side quest) take on some ghosts. First was easy, second was quite tough, but the third........WHOA, it totally owns my hairy butt !

I think I better leave him till later............ruuuuuuuun ! :oooo:

Still enjoying it very much, and thankfully no bugs thus far. I'm hoping that the worst of the problems were because of trying to run on 7.............fingers crossed that I can beat that by running Vista.

Steve. :dance2:

Still enjoying it very much, and thankfully no bugs thus far. I'm hoping that the worst of the problems were because of trying to run on 7.............fingers crossed that I can beat that by running Vista.

Steve. :dance2:

If you are playing SF1 then I don't think you will have any probs.

As far as I am aware the issues are with SP2.

Though not everyone experiences the hiccups so like most games that have been designed to run under XP or earlier......everyone's mileage will differ. ;)

Good to see you enjoying the Spellforce universe Steve. :)

• 2 weeks later...

"One bit near some mines you can ( it's a side quest) take on some ghosts. First was easy, second was quite tough, but the third........WHOA, it totally owns my hairy butt"

I think I remember that side quest. It came as a bit of a surprise, as up to then just about everything you encounter can be fairly easily handled (or at least you can plan for them), and then you run into these guys, the last of which just seems to kick you into the middle of next week soon as get close. It was a good game, although a blend of RTS and A-RPG, really.

Just can't stop playing. A real gem of a game. ;)

I think Stubbie was right about the bugs. Thus far I have found none in SpellForce 1. No idea on SF2 until I play it..............obviously !

Steve. :crazy: