Question for tea drinkers

I cut of pieces of the brick (about the size of the tip of my pinkie finger to the first knuckle joint). Then put it into a tea infuser and pour boiling water to cover it, and as per the instructions throw that water out immediately (this is to re-awaken the tea). Then the first infusion is only for ten seconds, second for 12, third for 16, fourth 21, fifth for 27, sixth for 35, seventh for 45 and after this the tea starts to turn more and more bitter. Part of the aging process is that the tea leaves ferment as they dry, and as a result the aged tea is more expensive than regular tea. A brick of tea that has aged for about 30 years can go for about $450 to $500 dollars US. Next time I make a cup(s) I'll post a video of it.

Great writeup!

I never knew my youth's elixir would also be something of a precious commodity. Finally, it's not all about coffee!

:bounce:

gogo

In South African culture tea is also very important. when my dad was still trying to win my moms hand in marriage, my Grandparents invited him over for tea, and seeing as my mom came from a very well of family, they had a selection of teas available. My dad had only ever tasted rooibos before and said it felt like he was standing in the spotlight, everyone waiting for him to say which tea he would like to have, he asked for rooibos.

An amazing tea shop is opening in Cape Town(the Mother city of SA) named Nigiro, which is origin backwards, this is from a review.

"Mingwei Tsai, Nigiro’s tea connoisseur, poetically describes the ideal process: “The quality of tea is in its making. As tea leaves unfurl in the pot, they dance, unlocking their natural aroma and flavours. With the correct temperature and steeping time, tea manifests beautiful, natural notes that resonate with the dancing leaves. Wonderful company and the perfect setting complete the overall experience.”

Nigiro’s interior design is a fusion of Africa and Asia, from the colours, to the contoured wall, lighting, textured wood and floor finishings; as well as the authentic stone tea tray for traditional tea ceremonies. The back wall captures the idea of a tea plantation, guiding you into the land of tea, and ever further into the horizon. On this wall are handmade pots for the storage of tea leaves, made by two local potters. The selection of leaves is truly global – from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Argentina, Kenya, Germany, Malawi and South Africa."

Delta!

In South African culture tea is also very important. when my dad was still trying to win my moms hand in marriage, my Grandparents invited him over for tea, and seeing as my mom came from a very well of family, they had a selection of teas available. My dad had only ever tasted rooibos before and said it felt like he was standing in the spotlight, everyone waiting for him to say which tea he would like to have, he asked for rooibos.

Great story! I love how food and drink makes its way everywhere, and even plays its own part in making friends and sharing with others. That t shop you wrote about sounds amazing. You know, because of this thread and all the responses, I actually looked up MOntreal tea room, and was amazed at how many actual "tea rooms" there are in the city. At the level of detail the owners are paying to their products, and the range of teas being offered.

There's one, not actuallyl too far from us who's review I read a number of times. Quite comforting, especially it's mention of green-tea red-bean cheesecake!

Montreal Tea House Cha Guan

The Monkland Village's Cha Guan (Chinese for "tea house") is so much more than its 80+ selection of top grade leaves, buds and dried flowers from the four corners of China. It's a chance to learn about, experience, smell and taste Hong Kong culture, including a slice of the tea house's pièce de résistance – green tea red bean cheesecake -- a dessert you won't find anywhere else in Montreal. Some of the finest quality leaves to be found in the city combined with the casual appeal and hospitality offered by owner Daniel Ng puts Cha Guan in a special league. Bottom line? Even if you hate tea, Cha Guan is a must.

:)

gogo

There's two things I would find almost daily: rice and tea. :D For me, tea would be found typically during and after dinner, though there will also be occasions I would drink during a meal if I'm in, say, a Chinese restaurant, especially if having dim sum. Three refills of pots with even just a few of us isn't all that uncommon. :) I'd say jasmine and barley are the teas I typically drink, though lately I've also been drinking my fair share of rice tea. Green tea is the least common of the teas I've had, and when I do, it's typically in the form of bubble tea or ice cream.