Number 1 test team in the world............

England are struggling like mad against Pakistan. So much for keeping our number 1 status in 2012 !

This test is the first time since 1988 that we have lost the top seven batsmen for under 100 in both innings !

We are currently close to losing by an innings, though I see we have put up a bit of a fight back............but I won't be holding my breath !

Oh well, there's always the 20/20.................

Steve.

Must say that South Africa are also going through a bad patch with tests, but tides will change... England is team that will quickly recover! They always seem to get that master performance when the chips are down... and there are 2 more tests... I still have my money on England winning the series.

Hehe...I must say I rather enjoyed that match :) Australia have been winning lately, England getting spanked...what more could I need?

Typical Aussie modesty ! Hmmm, at least we managed to avoid an innings defeat.............just !

Must say that South Africa are also going through a bad patch with tests, but tides will change... England is team that will quickly recover! They always seem to get that master performance when the chips are down... and there are 2 more tests... I still have my money on England winning the series

SA still have some top players and are a challenge to everyone. Kallis is an absolute legend.

Is this cricket? So at least only a small minority sport, far less important than UWR, under water rugby

Heh, yes we are talking cricket...........of a fashion !

UWR..........:) a new one on me. Do women play too...........that would be worth a watch, mwahaha !

Steve.

UWR is a 3-dimensional movement of players. We used to do it do train fitness and 3-dimensional memory. If your lungues start to burst you have still air for half a minute. I am now only able to dive for 4 minutes, was close to 6 and a half once. UWR is played by girl teams and at university often as mixed teams because lack of players.

You won't see much from outside, it is best seen from TV, or a big canvas in swimming hall. It is a quite injure free game, punches, kicks are slowed by the water. You won't dislocate knee or ancle...

Okay, this is Germany - Finland in game for 3rd place, girls world championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_tPnFlqQs

Fins and ear protectors are in rules. Ear protector is to avoid ear injuries by water-pressure if an opponent graps your head, which is a foul.

Last 2 years I did only referee when our oldest tried it. But she is too tall for quick turning now, even she is very quick diving. 1.95 metres is more handball, basketball, volleyball than UWR. Our second is trying it now. She is still a bit handicapped from her car-crash accident and this is a tream sport where not able to run does affect much.

But I don't want to talk away from cricket. Perhaps I should start a thread which strange sports people are doing.

Must say that South Africa are also going through a bad patch with tests, but tides will change... England is team that will quickly recover! They always seem to get that master performance when the chips are down... and there are 2 more tests... I still have my money on England winning the series.

Well...more to say they've been inconsistent perhaps. Although they've found a gem of a bowler in Vernon Philander it appears.

Hehe...I must say I rather enjoyed that match :) Australia have been winning lately, England getting spanked...what more could I need?

Typical Aussie modesty ! Hmmm, at least we managed to avoid an innings defeat.............just !

What can I say? And 10 wickets is pretty close!

Well...more to say they've been inconsistent perhaps. Although they've found a gem of a bowler in Vernon Philander it appears.

Yeah Vernon made an excellent test début (rumour is some team mates call him Vernon McGrath 'cause of his accuracy :3lmao: )

And Kallis? Well the guy seems to get younger every year! Especially with the new hair! But I think 20/20 actually did his strike rate a whole lot of good. There were times when SA supporters thought he should be dropped 'cause of his poor strike rate (in one day games at least), but he is certainly going to leave a huge void when he retires... some day...

And Kallis? Well the guy seems to get younger every year! Especially with the new hair! But I think 20/20 actually did his strike rate a whole lot of good. There were times when SA supporters thought he should be dropped 'cause of his poor strike rate (in one day games at least), but he is certainly going to leave a huge void when he retires... some day...

I've been hoping that he'd get to 300 test wickets, but I think it's too late now. I think he's on around 274, or something. Very close to the magic 300, but he seems to bowl very little these days. Crazy number of runs and catches. He should go out wearing a cape, lol !

IMHO, your captain, Smith, never really lived up to his early potential,if you don't mind me saying. He started of like a whirlwind, but slowed right down, and now only comes up with the occational good score.

SA, still a top team though. Beat anyone on thier day.

UWR is a 3-dimensional movement of players. We used to do it do train fitness and 3-dimensional memory. If your lungues start to burst you have still air for half a minute. I am now only able to dive for 4 minutes, was close to 6 and a half once. UWR is played by girl teams and at university often as mixed teams because lack of players.

You won't see much from outside, it is best seen from TV, or a big canvas in swimming hall. It is a quite injure free game, punches, kicks are slowed by the water. You won't dislocate knee or ancle...

Okay, this is Germany - Finland in game for 3rd place, girls world championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_tPnFlqQs

Fins and ear protectors are in rules. Ear protector is to avoid ear injuries by water-pressure if an opponent graps your head, which is a foul.

Last 2 years I did only referee when our oldest tried it. But she is too tall for quick turning now, even she is very quick diving. 1.95 metres is more handball, basketball, volleyball than UWR. Our second is trying it now. She is still a bit handicapped from her car-crash accident and this is a tream sport where not able to run does affect much.

But I don't want to talk away from cricket. Perhaps I should start a thread which strange sports people are doing.

I was just being naughty about watching the ladies play UWR. :thumbsup:

A thread with strange sports would be great. They have one just over the border in Wales, bog snorkelling...........or something. Basically, from what I've seen, it's a bunch of nutters swimming through mud !

*sorry about three seperate posts. Too tired to fuss this morning*

I was just being naughty about watching the ladies play UWR. :thumbsup:

A thread with strange sports would be great. They have one just over the border in Wales, bog snorkelling...........or something. Basically, from what I've seen, it's a bunch of nutters swimming through mud !

*sorry about three seperate posts. Too tired to fuss this morning*

Underwater Rugby? I thought it was a nature video showing spawning salmon or somesuch :Just_Cuz_21:

Seems like a safe sport, though... punches/kicks have little effect, little chance for sprains/injuries from twisting or landing incorrectly... injury free, yes... just the little thing about having water enter your lungs :whistle:

The weirdest sport around here would have to be... curling. How many times does one piece of ice have to be swept before they think it's clean?

The weirdest sport around here would have to be... curling. How many times does one piece of ice have to be swept before they think it's clean?

Haha, yeah. I think you need OCD before you can do that !

I've been hoping that he'd get to 300 test wickets, but I think it's too late now. I think he's on around 274, or something. Very close to the magic 300, but he seems to bowl very little these days. Crazy number of runs and catches. He should go out wearing a cape, lol !

IMHO, your captain, Smith, never really lived up to his early potential,if you don't mind me saying. He started of like a whirlwind, but slowed right down, and now only comes up with the occational good score.

SA, still a top team though. Beat anyone on thier day.

Kallis might still get that 300 wickets... I think he's got at least 3 years left? That's less than 10 wickets per year, I think we can expect to see him bowl a little more in NZ.

But true words about Smith, a lot of people are calling for his head, but selectors and coach reckons that he should be given a fair chance to prove his worth, but too many low scores these days. He scored a lot of runs off his legs early on. Flemming worked that out in a heart beat and put a fielder in his favourite scoring area and ever since then every other captain followed suit and Smith had to work the ball around a little more and I think that's where he lost it all. Looks like he's also added a few pounds around the waist lately...

If he get's to the 300 mark, then I think he will be the best ever. I really mean that. Check out this:-Cricinfo link.

He's right up there with Botham, Kapil Dev, and Garfield Sobers, but with the huge number of runs and catches, I think taking 300 + wickets will see him as the number 1.

The sad thing, imho, is that are no more genuine all rounders around.........well, no youngsters anyway coming through.

• 2 weeks later...

All out for 72 in the second innings against Pakistan.

Well, we were #1 but not for much longer...........

The way that Australia crushed India in that last series, I think it is safe to say that they are back ! :sweating:

All out for 72 in the second innings against Pakistan.

Well, we were #1 but not for much longer...........

The way that Australia crushed India in that last series, I think it is safe to say that they are back ! :sweating:

What a collapse that was by England! Brings a tear to my eye.

But in all honesty, we aren't a world #1 team yet. The Indian team is the same team that england beat 4-0 before us (albeit with us facing a slightly stronger bowling line up with all of there first choice fast men fit), while an impressive victory for us on paper it's not all good. Runs have been scored mostly by 3 or 4 of our experienced batters, the younger ones are still in search of runs and consistency. Our #3 scored a total of 17 runs at an average of ~3 and is likely to be sent back to our domestic cricket to find some form. Our keeper has been batting poorly and keeping poorly too and is probably going to be dropped from the one day matches to blood a replacement. More domestic cricket for him is in order. And our opening two have done ok, but would both like a little more consistency, one of them has scores. Bowlers though have shown impressive form and if they can all stay fit and firing (and with the depth of great bowlers at the moment, 2 of whom took 5fors on debut and have been injured since its looking good there) then thats great. All in all its definitely a step in the right direction, but we need to keep winning. Next summer season will be a true test of our team, 3 tests against south africa and sri lanka at home followed by 4 against india in india.

• 2 months later...

By scraping a win against Sri Lanka, we just managed to hang onto the number one spot............just !

Took a couple of great performances though. Brilliant 151 by pieterson at nearly a run a ball, and 10 wickets in the match by Swan.

Important summer for England. We will need to be at our best to retain top status.

• 4 weeks later...

Been watching some of the IPL which, amazingly, is not restricted to Sky Sports !

Great action and very exciting.

Whilst I will always be a test match fan, the IPL is a great bit of fun. They certainly attract a lot of fans and top class players. Good to watch. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Back onto the thread title...you guys are no longer #1 are you? South Africa is back on top right? Then england and then us Aussies, working our way back up where we belong!

I've not seen the latest table, tbh. If we overcome the Windies then we should be up there. We are in a very strong position after a first innings lead, but no-one seems to be able to get the wicket of Chanderpaul. What a batsman he has been over the years. Was in the shadow of Lara for a long time, but certainly is thier number 1 now.

Just, I think the windies will be more competitive next test (or I hope so anyway...). If their players are a little better adjusted to the conditions and show the determination of Chanderpaul and that other bloke from the second innings it could be a good series.