Legend of Grimrock

Anyone here playing Legend of Grimrock?

It's a grid based, first person, old school dungeon crawler.

It brings back fond memories for me. I loved playing those sorts of games. I had pages and pages of graph paper filled with my mapping of dungeon layouts. Thankfully, as I am so spoiled these days, you have the option in Grimrock to use auto mapping if you want.

It is the style of game that was a massive hit in the late 80's/early 90's. Many people around my age would argue that was the time when pc gaming was at its finest.

Well Grimock takes the basic gameplay of those games and has given it a 2012 facelift.

Apparently sales of the game has far exceeded what the indie devs had hoped for. It was even the top purchased game at Steam for a few days after its 11th April release. This at least guarantees that Almost Human, the developers, will be around for some time yet.

I absolutely love the game. The atmosphere in the dungeon has been captured perfectly due to the lighting effects. I find myself hesitating at every corner, expecting some enemy to jump out at me, or instead fall down into the darkness of a pit. The puzzles so far have tested my brain power but they have all been doable and give a genuine feeling of accomplishment. The interface while old school works great.

For the $12 or so it costs it is a real bargain. If you are at all interested there is a heap of "lets play" over at YouTube so you can check out the style of game. :)

Looks all nice, gotta say. Then again, I have to admit, that I've been terribly spoiled by newer games. Didn't really get a chance with the old dungeon crawlers, me beeing relatively young. :P

All in all, I'm sure many will get nice nostalgic vibes from this one. ^^ Now, off to punis some Jottun in Amalur. xD

A good looking game. I watched the trailer twice. Good give and take 'tween old school square by square moves (love the way the monsters move) with the touch of good modern day smooth animations and details.

Course that price is just unbeatable.

:)

gogo