Indian Sherbert - Old enough to appreciate it

U know, this weekend was at my aunt's house, and she made something called "sherbert"...I think it's an indian drink... pink thing, with milk, rosewater syrup and poppy seeds that were soaked in water!

Funny thing is, I told my mom about it when I got home, and she said that we had tried it a few times when we were kids ...but that we hated it! :4rofl:

I'd always known that rosewater was not a "favorite" amongst north american palates, but lately, my tastes seem to be changing...

I say yes to rosewater appreciation day!

:bounce:

gogo

p.s. here's the pic

phalsa+ka+sherbet.jpg

Thats interesting...it looks tasty :) And I don't mind the taste of rosewater. Are the poppy seeds ground up or something after soaking? Or do they float around whole in the drink?

• Like! 1

I think your sherbert is close to what is called Milchsorbet, sorbet latte, .... in europe. Even the word sorbet and sherbert are quite close.

Are the poppy seeds to thicken the liquid?

Using seeds or part of seeds to suck up liquid and stiffen the mix is done by our Rote Grütze too.

http://www.thegermankitchen.com/index.php/recipes/2009/05/rote-grutze-german-red-fruit-pudding-recipe-red-grits/

• Like! 1

Thats interesting...it looks tasty :) And I don't mind the taste of rosewater. Are the poppy seeds ground up or something after soaking? Or do they float around whole in the drink?

They actually float around in the drink. I can see why this is something I would not have liked as a kid...but as a grown up, the texture of the seeds, each floating in a kind of gelatinous nimbus, are a delightful texture.

I think we can buy the rosewater syrup, but the poppy seeds are another product.

I think your sherbert is close to what is called Milchsorbet, sorbet latte, .... in europe. Even the word sorbet and sherbert are quite close.

Are the poppy seeds to thicken the liquid?

Using seeds or part of seeds to suck up liquid and stiffen the mix is done by our Rote Grütze too.

http://www.thegermankitchen.com/index.php/recipes/2009/05/rote-grutze-german-red-fruit-pudding-recipe-red-grits/

As they stay within the liquid, they remain as part of it as a suspension, they don't dissolve or add much more I think, but texture? I'm not sure if those poppy seeds actually flavor it.

:)

gogo

Of course we're changing. Every 7 years, all of our cells get replaced. With that, there's bound to be changes in taste - and everything else.

My mother who just turned 85 didn't like things like peanut butter - until she hit 83. Ditto on black olives - tho for some strange reason she still thinks she doesn't like them. I've snuck a few into some spaghetti sauce (ala Putanesca) and she ate them and said they were GREAT! She even asked for seconds!

Go figure.

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Similarly, my girlfriend introduced me to Rose Milk...

My life has changed forever.

heh, luck you! I'm kinda addicted to the flavor now...found a nice box of Turkish Delights on sale, lots of little pre-cut morsels all dusted with powedered sugar...big hit at work

Of course we're changing. Every 7 years, all of our cells get replaced. With that, there's bound to be changes in taste - and everything else.

My mother who just turned 85 didn't like things like peanut butter - until she hit 83. Ditto on black olives - tho for some strange reason she still thinks she doesn't like them. I've snuck a few into some spaghetti sauce (ala Putanesca) and she ate them and said they were GREAT! She even asked for seconds!

Go figure.

Mind's a big thing. Being fooled into trying out foods, ah, Dad I so remember you

;)

gogo

• 5 weeks later...

Similarly, my girlfriend introduced me to Rose Milk...

My life has changed forever.

heh, luck you! I'm kinda addicted to the flavor now...found a nice box of Turkish Delights on sale, lots of little pre-cut morsels all dusted with powedered sugar...big hit at work

>Of course we're changing. Every 7 years, all of our cells get replaced. With that, there's bound to be changes in taste - and everything else.

Go figure.

Mind's a big thing. Being fooled into trying out foods, ah, Dad I so remember you

;)

gogo

Just be careful of the sugars in Turkish delight gogo, the recipes I know all contains lots of sugar and glucose, and then gets dusted with a mixture of icing sugar and cornflour... still a small bit now and then can only bring happiness :tongue::biggrin:

Delta!