Maple Moose - new advanced flavor, only here in Canada!

I'm partial to rare steak or chicken myself... Not super fond of the meatball and tripe varieties..

What I'm not quite understanding - why Pho hasn't become more popular... It's better than having craptastic burgers and tacos and such..

And given some of the reports from various places - it's likely better FOR you as well given it's not crammed full of horse or kangaroo meat like SOME burger places have been reported as having.

OK. Here's a whacky idea..

Lays - are you listening:)

PHO FLAVORED CHIPS!

Yes... I definitely like my pho, complete with sliced beef, brisket, beef balls, or tripe drenched in hoisin sauce and sri racha. dang... I want pho with a side of sri racha chips...

I know what ya mean.. Nothing like a good bowl of Pho to clear your sinuses when you're congested.. Especially if you make your bowl a bit on the atomic side. That endorphin rush also does wonders for headaches..

And of course it comes in very tasty varieties..

Holy crap I'm hungry now

Yeah.. But you'd think there would at least be a small thing set up for this promotion... The stores I'm talking about two of the biggest named chains. I'd kind of expect that kind of thing from a smaller chain.

But I do know what you mean. Can't have a proper bowl of Pho without Sambal Oleak, Hosin sauce and Sriracha.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup. it can be made of either beef or chicken, rice noodles, and various vegetables including bean sprout, basil leaf, thinly sliced jalapeno rings. 2 kinds of onions (white onion and scallion) and cilantro/coriander leaf.

They say chicken noodle soup is "Jewish penicillin" - and if that's the case, this stuff is Vietnamese penicillin.

Ah, all of you!

The way everyoen's gone on about this, now I got spice in me blood, and have been thinking of nothing but rare beef swimming in delicious custom made bouillion with the requisite sri racha

Apparently here in MOntreal, one fo the best Pho houses ever resides,, Guess I know where I'll be going this week.

Aegis, tripe ...really?

So adventurous!

:thumbsup:

gogo

Yes, gogo. Tripe. Chicken or beef tripe, does not matter. Hanging around family who used to take you to lots of dim sum places and ordering tripe does things. Plus I am Chinese, even when Canadianized. Tripe and chicken's feet are awesome. :-)

kangaroo meat

Bah! Theres nothing any more unhealthy about kangaroo as opposed to any other red meat. Plus, it sure tastes good!

never not once even see it on the shelves here DB, I'm just curious...is it as ubiquitous on grocery shelves there as beef is here?

Definitely not, it only gets a small section. I think a lot of people don't eat it because they don't associate kangaroo's with food as much as cows and it seems strange to them, plus its one of our national animals and its usually more expensive than plain old beef! But, it is pretty tasty :)

Alright,so on my way home, I went to fill up the gas tank at the pump. Before paying, I checked the aisle for chips and discovered only the maple moose left. Decided to check the bag out given all the warnings... and it was as you said, gogo. It was way too meaty and heavy in taste. Heck, I opened the bag, and it smelled too strong. The initial bites weren't too bad,but it got progressively worse as I ate it. So, I've tasted two flavors, the perogies and the moose, and by the looks of it, I pretty much tasted the two extremes, the good, and the bad.

• Like! 1

Just found this picture of apple-chips making, probably easier to reproduce than my staircase oven method. I line the chip rings up on silicon threads and hang them in the heat flow, this person does it on drying plates in an oven.

apfelchips1.JPG

My wife likes just cinnamon as a spice, I prefer pepper.

Chocolade Chips

Or dip them in hot chocolade and let them cool- here having them on a thread easies it a lot. I do my chocolade chips last, I put some chili in the chocolade.

Adding that we can use quinces, pears, service tree fruits, mespilus germanioca (common medlar), ... to do the chips and use 10 ways for spiciing, 20 ways for a dip,... that a lot of combinations. Normally the year runs out before we have tried all combinations.

http://www.martinsapplechips.com/

Just found this picture of apple-chips making, probably easier to reproduce than my staircase oven method. I line the chip rings up on silicon threads and hang them in the heat flow, this person does it on drying plates in an oven.

apfelchips1.JPG

My wife likes just cinnamon as a spice, I prefer pepper.

Chocolade Chips

Or dip them in hot chocolade and let them cool- here having them on a thread easies it a lot. I do my chocolade chips last, I put some chili in the chocolade.

Adding that we can use quinces, pears, service tree fruits, mespilus germanioca (common medlar), ... to do the chips and use 10 ways for spiciing, 20 ways for a dip,... that a lot of combinations. Normally the year runs out before we have tried all combinations.

http://www.martinsapplechips.com/

Look out! Chattius is going Aztec on us! :D Back in the day, the Aztecs would put spicy chilies in their chocolate.

• Like! 1

Chili chocolade is becoming popular. A few years back it were just 2-3 sellers in germany, now it are several dozens.

But I like to make fruit chips for several reasons. Doing them in the central staircase-oven... the whole house smells like aromatic fruits, giving a feeling of autumn.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this...

Seems the Cheesy Garlic Bread flavor is the winner here in the States.. Found a bag of them - FINALLY - on the shelf. Since they had a 2 for 1 special, I got a couple of bags. Surprisingly, they do taste like cheesy garlic bread.. tho in all reality, it could use more garlic.. :)

• Like! 1

Dang... KNEW I should have bought to at least tried them! Though I was so non-plussed with the moose thing, almost figgered that the others would be just common place chip fare.

Maybe when I go down to States this Christmas I'll get my mom to find some for me.

All I remember is those endless aiisles full or chips that go on and on and on and on...

entire aisles

dedicted to chips

Hello Sri Racha!

:)

gogo

The only bought chips in our house are currently Lorenz Naturals Balsamico. The reason is that a friend of our 14 year old suffers from a very heavy gluten allergy. We can't guarantee for our selfmade ones to be absolutly glutenfree because we do cakes at the same place.

Was a long search to find potato chips which are guaranteed free of gluten.

http://www.lorenz-snackworld.de/en/Brands-Products/Naturals/Naturals-mit-Balsamico

lorenz-chips-naturals-milder-chili-milde

Variants: rosmary, mild chili, mild paprica, salt and peppar, balsamico

Lays are not on my list of gluten-free chips?

• Like! 1