Sacred 2 = The Hidden Overlooked Gem Of Last Generation

WOW, the way you worded it differently sounds way more better. Plus it does indeed make more sense when you put it that way. This also does lead to developers not caring to create something with a such a small fanbase (Not that sacred does, just saying in general). Sacred is lucky. However I want my damn Sacred 3 already but I'm worried its not going to be the sacred we know and love so much :(.

Eh, I wish there was a bigger, enduring fan base, personally. More people to work on the Wiki. ;)

I understand the special feeling of having something personal to yourself or a small group, something that's not spoiled by over-saturation and mass appeal. At the same time, even taking that into account, the renown and acclaim of Sacred 2 is almost non-existent, and is wayyyy lower than it should be. It's one thing that pop culture doesn't care about the Sacred franchise (thank goodness), but it's another thing when action RPG fans and other people who would and should love it and play it don't even know about the game, or just hear bad things about it. Sacred 1 at least got recognition as one of the top successors of the isometric action RPG genre. Outside of the community, Sacred 2 seems to be dismissed, ridiculed, or even worse, just plain unknown.

There are other games that have a robust, dedicated fanbase without being "that overhyped game that you're sick of hearing about." I wish Sacred 2's fanbase could be pumped up a little bit.

Well.. you gotta understand something about the differences between Diablo 3 and Sacred 2..

Diablo is produced by Blizzard - a huge mega game company with lots of successful titles under it's corporate belt. As such, Blizzard has bazillions of dollars to spend on advertising, promotion, marketing, etc...

Sacred 2 was produced by Ascaron who produced a few games - but wound up going bankrupt. It had little, if any budget for ads, promotion, etc...

Blizzard is it's own distribution house.

Ascaron needed help in that department and CDV (in the US) and Deep Silver (everywhere else) were chosen (BIG mistake) to represent them. As such, when Ascaron went belly up, CDV didn't get to distribute the Ice and Blood expansion while Deep Silver did. Of course, Deep Silver bought out the franchise. The problem is, the US market didn't get the expansion and as such, unless you were a hard core fan of the game, you had to suffer with the basic game. If you were hard core, you would have shelled out another $40 US for the UK/International version from places like DL Gamer.

Console players were also unable to get the Ice and Blood expansion - due to the collapse of Ascaron.

Sacred 2 also suffered from other minor issues - like buggy game play in the early versions. Even the Ice and Blood expansions were plagued with bugs. Most of the big whoppers were dealt with - by the tireless work of the CM Patch team.

Well, Sacred 2 was a far better game than most people give credit for... but I can see why it was so obscure. It wasn't the most heavily marketed game in the world, the visuals aren't exactly the best, story is virtually non-existent, and the bugs are very painful to deal with. I haven't even heard of Sacred till my friend bought it on the PS3 for him and his wife to play together, and simply roped me along. I think the game is great, that's why I'm here in the first place, and I do think that it deserves a little more exposure than what it has now, but thanks to the stumbling blocks along the way, particularly Ascaron going bankrupt, it is what it is.

Meanwhile... don't get me started on Diablo, and Blizzard in general. Seems like around Warcraft 3 and the many iterations of WoW, the games just don't have the same appeal as they did a decade ago.

• Like! 1

Blizzard peaked at Diablo 2 LoD. and even that game, the rune system was dumb. So until the duping took hold and everyone had access to runes, it was just eh. D2 vanilla was great before the expac too.