Opinons on RIFT?

just looked at the homepage for RIFT and wanted to get some feedback.

Played it for about 2 hours, then uninstalled. For me it was one of those cases where the game had so much potential and their systems were super creative and felt like I was playing an ARPG and not an MMO when it came to skill choices...but in the end it just wasn't executed well. The animations really bothered me, even walking around town, so I decided to call it quits. However, there are MANY people who really enjoyed their time in Rift and loved it. If you are looking for a small term game to sink some time into I think it might be worth a shot. Just keep in mind that there's always a reason a game turns from a sub to a free to play model, and that is usually because it's failing game :)

just looked at the homepage for RIFT and wanted to get some feedback.

Played it for about 2 hours, then uninstalled. For me it was one of those cases where the game had so much potential and their systems were super creative and felt like I was playing an ARPG and not an MMO when it came to skill choices...but in the end it just wasn't executed well. The animations really bothered me, even walking around town, so I decided to call it quits. However, there are MANY people who really enjoyed their time in Rift and loved it. If you are looking for a small term game to sink some time into I think it might be worth a shot. Just keep in mind that there's always a reason a game turns from a sub to a free to play model, and that is usually because it's failing game :)

thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind. although PoE is free to play it also originated that way so I see what you're saying. good info to have. thanks again.

I played Rift a lot for a couple of months, then the novelty wore off. It is a decent game with a lot of promise, but not for me. I like to advance through a game at my own pace and decide what I want to do. Rift had me running around like a headless chicken! The game itself is great, but because they keep opening 'Rifts' all the time where every player pitches in to fight the invaders, it is very difficult not to be drawn in to the battles as well, whether you want to or not, because you ARE going to be attacked if you are in the area. The occassional Rift I could cope with, but one afternoon I got dragged into 7 seperate Rifts in under an hour, all in the same small area!

My favourite memory was of fishing (a really good and well done minigame) with several other players I didn't know at a small fishing hole near a major academy, when a Rift opened up near by;

Player 1. "Oh God, not another stupid Rift!"

Player 2. "There's too many Rifts in this game"

Me. "Yeah, I'm getting fed up with Rifts all the darn time"

Player 4. "Well stuff them, they can manage without me today. I just want to fish, I only need 3 more Devilfish for the achievement"

Player 1. Yep, they can manage without me too!"

Various fishing talk for a few minutes.

Me. "Oh hell!, the battle's heading this way"

Player 2. "Stupid ******* Rifts, disturbing the fish!"

All players down rods and and pile into the battle.

Player 3. "Right, now that lot is dead, back to fishing"

Player 2 "Bloody right!"

Player 4. "Hey I got another Devilfish, just 2 more now"

All of us. "Gratz mate"

Me. "Now if I can just catch a few Angelfish....."

Loads more fishing talk.

The crafting system isn't bad, you can have 3 crafting skills and you pick which, I usually picked 2 harvesting and 1 crafting as it worked best for me, but the choice is yours. The crafting itself works ina very similar way to WoW.

One very good idea they have implemented is that although you train your character up in a certain way, it is possible to buy another "Soul" (basically a second profession slot), at level 10 I think, that you can then train up a completely different way, ie Sneaky thief type in slot one, ranged hunter with pet in slot 2 and swap between to the 2 souls at will.

Edited by podgie_bear
  • Like! 1

I played Rift a lot for a couple of months, then the novelty wore off. It is a decent game with a lot of promise, but not for me. I like to advance through a game at my own pace and decide what I want to do. Rift had me running around like a headless chicken! The game itself is great, but because they keep opening 'Rifts' all the time where every player pitches in to fight the invaders, it is very difficult not to be drawn in to the battles as well, whether you want to or not, because you ARE going to be attacked if you are in the area. The occassional Rift I could cope with, but one afternoon I got dragged into 7 seperate Rifts in under an hour, all in the same small area!

My favourite memory was of fishing (a really good and well done minigame) with several other players I didn't know at a small fishing hole near a major academy, when a Rift opened up near by;

Player 4. "Well stuff them, they can manage without me today. I just want to fish, I only need 3 more Devilfish for the achievement"

Player 2 "Bloody right!"

All of us. "Gratz mate"

Loads more fishing talk.

The crafting system isn't bad, you can have 3 crafting skills and you pick which, I usually picked 2 harvesting and 1 crafting as it worked best for me, but the choice is yours. The crafting itself works ina very similar way to WoW.

One very good idea they have implemented is that although you train your character up in a certain way, it is possible to buy another "Soul" (basically a second profession slot), at level 10 I think, that you can then train up a completely different way, ie Sneaky thief type in slot one, ranged hunter with pet in slot 2 and swap between to the 2 souls at will.

That sounds really cool. I downloaded the guest version or signed in as a guest and looked for like twenty minutes. The controls are just f'ed lol. And the tutorial is half assed. It stopped telling me what to do after it told me the green exclamation point meant quest holder. I'll look again when I have more time. It's a lot for me since Diablo had such easy controls.

Player 2 "Bloody right!"

All of us. "Gratz mate"

Loads more fishing talk.

hahhaah

your writing is still awesome Podgie

love the dialogue

:)

gogo

hahhaah

your writing is still awesome Podgie

love the dialogue

:)

gogo

I try Gogo, it's the Gamesmaster in me. Even though I haven't been a Gamesmaster since my old pen&paper playing days back in the 70s & 80s, once a Gamesmaster, always a storyteller!