The Related Word Game - 2017!

nostalgia => Christmas

Christmas brings back so many childhood memories of times of joy with family and friends during this wondrous season. :ded_snegurochka:

:christmastree:

It's nearly time to decorate the tree!

1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

nostalgia => Christmas

Christmas brings back so many childhood memories of times of joy with family and friends during this wondrous season. :ded_snegurochka:

:christmastree:

It's nearly time to decorate the tree!

Yee haw Christmas!

and nearly time for us to redecorate our forum ...Christmas is coming!!

Christmas -> Theme

:)

gogo

theme -> Waldsterben

District does a meeting with this theme. Our oldest will be a guest-speaker, doing a report about our forest. Global warming, years of draught, new parasites from southern europe ...  causes forest dying-Many forest look like these nowadays.

Luckily our forest is at a hill were clouds climb and release water. Also a mixed forest of different sorts and ages- so we have luck so far. Our vintage glider is often used for control flights and we found no big changes so far. Forest ants, 5 different woodpeckers - No mass appearance of bark beetle so far.

wald-von-oben.jpg

• Appreciation 1
3 hours ago, chattius said:

theme -> Waldsterben

District does a meeting with this theme. Our oldest will be a guest-speaker, doing a report about our forest. Global warming, years of draught, new parasites from southern europe ...  causes forest dying-Many forest look like these nowadays.

Luckily our forest is at a hill were clouds climb and release water. Also a mixed forest of different sorts and ages- so we have luck so far. Our vintage glider is often used for control flights and we found no big changes so far. Forest ants, 5 different woodpeckers - No mass appearance of bark beetle so far.

wald-von-oben.jpg

I remember seeing a documentary about hills that capture clouds in Colombia... its a significant amount of freshwater that is captured back into the system this way... logging is its enemy

Waldsterben -> colombia

gogo

family -> attic find

My sister found two years back letters to my grandma. They were 7 siblings and 5 died during the war. I knew that 5 died. But reading the letters gave them a personality.

Hilde (13):  too less oxygen at birth and handicapped to mental health of a child aged around 5. Killed at Hadamar killing centre considered worthless life by the nazi's as it turned out after war.

Heine (14): march 1945 when nazi's drafted at school , was send to frontier without training and killed by strafing fighters

Bernd (19): beginning engineer, drafted to u-boats, MIA, wrack found in 2004

Hugo (23): firefighter, killed at Kassel when fire-fighting bombed city and a time-delay bomb exploded, octobre 1943

Anette (11): fighter strafing the train she was in, march 1945

Grandma was 17 when she was send to eastern frontier as a nurse. She hided at day and walked at night, taking 4 month fleeing and her parents considered her dead too.

Bruno was 9 and the only they knew alive for sure at war's end.

• Appreciation 1

nachos -> coffin

A single chip sold for 10€ in a coffin like package. Forbidden in my state since the chilli content varied too much and several people served it to friends without the gloves in the package. Stupid One Chip Challenge. Told the twins it is more brave to say no to such stupidity than jumping from the bridge with them.

Hotchipchallenge4.jpg?v=1679418926&width

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

nachos -> coffin

A single chip sold for 10€ in a coffin like package. Forbidden in my state since the chilli content varied toomuch and several people served it to friends without the gloves in the package. Stupid One Chip Challenge. Told the twins it is more brave to say no to such stupidity than jumping from the bride with them.

Hotchipchallenge4.jpg?v=1679418926&width

coffin -> Ghost pepper!

gogo

ghost pepper -> Quittensenf (quince mustard)

We have mustard plants, we have grandma's mill made from two stone rings so we can make our own special mustards. Normally we use one rainy afternoon in mid autumn. It is for our recipes and as birthday gift. Chilli just activates pain nerves, mustard activates the nerves for aroma. Guess what, I prefer a good mustard over chilli.

• zomgod! 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

ghost pepper -> Quittensenf (quince mustard)

We have mustard plants, we have grandma's mill made from two stone rings so we can make our own special mustards. Normally we use one rainy afternoon in mid autumn. It is for our recipes and as birthday gift. Chilli just activates pain nerves, mustard activates the nerves for aroma. Guess what, I prefer a good mustard over chilli.

Quittensenf (quince mustard) -> Maggie

best chilli sauce!

Chattius i think imp totally the opposite i never developed an appreciation for mustard, its not really in my fam's cooking palette so I guess not enough exposure...and... the few times I do try and *experiment* with Japanese mustard..it completely blows my head off

:explode:

14 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Quittensenf (quince mustard) -> Maggie

best chilli sauce!

Chattius I think imp totally the opposite I never developed an appreciation for mustard, its not really in my fam's cooking palette so I guess not enough exposure...and... the few times I do try and *experiment* with Japanese mustard..it completely blows my head off

:explode:

Total opposite here. Chilli don't grow in my area outside glasshouses. Mustard plants can be used as green manure. So we have more than enough seeds for making mustard.

Japanese Karashi is made from just sharp brown mustard seeds.

Our is fine milled brown and rough milled yellow seeds, fruit wine, fruit vinegar and minced fruits. Adding a fruit aroma to a Dijon mustard like base taste.

At Oktoberfest Weisswurst are eaten with a special sweet mustard.

Stewart -> x-mas

When I was young there were just 3 TV-programs- One always aired 'It's a Wonderful life' at afternoon of 24 decembre.

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

Total opposite here. Chilli don't grow in my area outside glasshouses. Mustard plants can be used as green manure. So we have more than enough seeds for making mustard.

Japanese Karashi is made from just sharp brown mustard seeds.

Our is fine milled brown and rough milled yellow seeds, fruit wine, fruit vinegar and minced fruits. Adding a fruit aroma to a Dijon mustard like base taste.

At Oktoberfest Weisswurst are eaten with a special sweet mustard.

Stewart -> x-mas

When I was young there were just 3 TV-programs- One always aired 'It's a Wonderful life' at afternoon of 24 decembre.

x-mas - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer & the Island of Misfit Toys

that was my go to move of kiddie world

gogo

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer & the Island of Misfit Toys -> boots

Santa Claus, x-mas? Many of my family including me have birthdays between 20dec and 2jan. So we got most presents at birthday and 6dec - Saint Nicholas- Day. The gifts at 6dec were put into the boots before the house door by Knecht Ruprecht.

He was centuries before coca cola. So he isn't red.

47014013.jpg

1024px-Knecht_Ruprecht.jpg

fireplace -> smell

Our oven is integrated into the staircases. The hot air wents through a labyrinth. Small doors allow to dry fruits or quince bread. So we have a smell of fruits in wintertime.

There is a company building them for stone houses, see below. Ours is special, 250 years old old wood patchwork house under cultural heritage. The chimney is central in the builing and the entrance hall was used as stall and hay store in old times. I made the calculations, fire savety and pencil drawings, but it took half a year before it was finally allowed.IMG_0534-scaled.jpg

• Like! 1