How’s your day going?

On 6/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, Timotheus said:

Have fun gogo!

Thanks Timoooooooooooooooooooo!

image.png

wooo, here last day...u know how it is with the fam... they know what you love to eat and they serve plenty of it... with outings on the side... gonna have to run a fair clip of miles when I get home

:4rofl:

gogo

Opening of the Skywalk bridge at Willingen today. Just 15 minutes away. And we have tickets for late evening. It is longest rope bridge in central europe. It is above the ski jumping location, which is the biggest worldwide. Bigger hills are considered ski flying and not jumping.

2KRC4HI2ARET7D2V6X63EMYBQU.jpg

I wanted to buy swiss army knives for the twins. A must have was a tick-tool because more nasty ticks arrived with global warming. They spread tick-borne encephalitis. The old local ticks were smaller and you had 12 hours to detect and remove them. The new ticks from south the alpes: three hours.The knife shop owner looked puzzled when I told him that I want blue ones. Noone really buys them he said. I said ever searched a red, yellow, green or black knife in autumn wood? Had to order them, also these little screw drivers for glasses which fit into the cork screwer. And while I was at it, a knife and saw sharpener tool.

The tick tool is the hard to see plastic thing in the right outest

swiza-taschenmesser-tt05-tick-tool-kling

• zomgod! 1
On 7/4/2023 at 4:29 AM, chattius said:

I wanted to buy swiss army knives for the twins. A must have was a tick-tool because more nasty ticks arrived with global warming. They spread tick-borne encephalitis. The old local ticks were smaller and you had 12 hours to detect and remove them. The new ticks from south the alpes: three hours.The knife shop owner looked puzzled when I told him that I want blue ones. Noone really buys them he said. I said ever searched a red, yellow, green or black knife in autumn wood? Had to order them, also these little screw drivers for glasses which fit into the cork screwer. And while I was at it, a knife and saw sharpener tool.

The tick tool is the hard to see plastic thing in the right outest

swiza-taschenmesser-tt05-tick-tool-kling

a tick tool!! I always wanted to use a path along side the road to get to my mom's work ...but she put the fear or ticks into my mind...  if only I'd had this trusty swiss knife tool! 

:D

:superman:

gogo

Were back from a weekend  up in the country at my cuz's place... chickens geese, fresh eggs and a swimming pool... feeling all chilled out and ready for work...  we got my nephew the latest zelda game, in a cartridge...oooh, fancy... and schot had the brilliant idea of steaming open a box of tictacs, removing the sticker then slipping off the cover and replacing of the tics tacs with a tissue paper covered of the game chip... this along-side a sweet potatoe in a party bag made for a good five minutes of hoots and hollering as the little guy attempted to find out what was hidden!

IMG_6685.jpg

71054626414__10885006-4144-46DE-9D18-589B4E0D666C.jpgIMG_6695.jpgIMG_6672.jpgIMG_6670.jpgIMG_6686.jpg71054625531__3236D80B-C619-4F8D-A1BC-38708BE4F51D.jpgIMG_6687.jpgIMG_6688.jpgIMG_6690.jpgIMG_6691.jpgIMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Electric cars...

Part 1:

There is a ship with 3000 of them burning near the German Bay and it seems noone knows how to fight the fire. Our training was to lift a burning e-car into a container with water and flood it. But on a ship?

Too much water and it may sink and the german bay is a protected nature area. Right now they are only cooling the outside of the ship and hope that it won't sink.

Part 2:

Our oldest moved to  a city part where Diesel are not allowed. Currently they park outside and use the bus. They are considering a VW ID-Buzz LWB ER, mainly because the uncle of her husband works as engineer at VW.

vw-id-buzz-lwb-2023-vorstellung-03.jpg

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

Electric cars...

Part 1:

There is a ship with 3000 of them burning near the German Bay and it seems noone knows how to fight the fire. Our training was to lift a burning e-car into a container with water and flood it. But on a ship?

Too much water and it may sink and the german bay is a protected nature area. Right now they are only cooling the outside of the ship and hope that it won't sink.

Part 2:

Our oldest moved to  a city part where Diesel are not allowed. Currently they park outside and use the bus. They are considering a VW ID-Buzz LWB ER, mainly because the uncle of her husband works as engineer at VW.

vw-id-buzz-lwb-2023-vorstellung-03.jpg

oowah loved diesels.. first and only car I ever had was a volkswagen golf diesel... was a plucky thing

:)

gogo

good day yesterday... finally.!

..the complete pool party and bbq, combo with 3 year old birthday fiesta... my friend runs a Mommy Blog site called www.ladymarielle.com and her boy Arthur turned three... what a glorious age and what delicious haitian food... we

are 

stuffed

:lol: IMG_7098.jpgIMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7079.jpgIMG_7104.jpgIMG_7080.jpg

Her 15 year old also got his first job... look at the snazzy T shirt he gets to sport at work... first job.. ahh, nostalgia

IMG_7075.jpg

gogo

• 1 month later...

With only the twins still at house we weren't asking for an AuPair this year. But we agreed to be on a reserve list in case a family is not able to take an AuPair because of sudden events. Yesterday we got a call from foreign office that a to come student in foreign affairs from northen Finland who planed one year as AuPair had to look for a new place. The father of the guest family got a heavy stroke.

Normaly we know the new AuPair months in advance from several emails before we and they agree. This time the call was as short as:

18, near Oulunsalo (town where Oulu Airport is), hobbies Karate , free climbing and bird watching, parents diplomats and yes it hurries

18 is our third, free climbing our second's sport and we have lot of birds. Probably not the sea birds she is used to but more different species I would bet,

My wife and the twins are currently on the way to pick her up.

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

With only the twins still at house we weren't asking for an AuPair this year. But we agreed to be on a reserve list in case a family is not able to take an AuPair because of sudden events. Yesterday we got a call from foreign office that a to come student in foreign affairs from northen Finland who planed one year as AuPair had to look for a new place. The father of the guest family got a heavy stroke.

Normaly we know the new AuPair months in advance from several emails before we and they agree. This time the call was as short as:

18, near Oulunsalo (town where Oulu Airport is), hobbies Karate , free climbing and bird watching, parents diplomats and yes it hurries

18 is our third, free climbing our second's sport and we have lot of birds. Probably not the sea birds she is used to but more different species I would bet,

My wife and the twins are currently on the way to pick her up.

Your story just made my day… Love how you and your family reach out so quickly and nimble. This adaptability is what’s becoming rarer these days it’s a mark of true humility and the generous heart.
Bless!!
🥰

gogo

On 8/31/2023 at 8:27 PM, gogoblender said:

Your story just made my day… Love how you and your family reach out so quickly and nimble. This adaptability is what’s becoming rarer these days it’s a mark of true humility and the generous heart.
Bless!!
🥰

gogo

To be fair: With 17 AuPairs and 5 times guest family in kid exchanges we know all the laws, traps, insurances, ... What took 2 month at first AuPait is now 2 hours paperwork and preparing the guest room.

• Appreciation 1

We were watching USA vs Germany at the home of an american family who had US TV. Game wasn't broadcasted on FreeTV in Germany. We watched the very exciting game which was a fight with open visors: 113:111. And the underdog was winning. And suddenly end of broadcast, no interviews, not showing the excitement of winning, just switching to a replay of a show. The american family and ours changed looks, what happened. Are the runners of ESPN not accepting an underdog winning? It was a good and exciting game and it didn't deserve this total opposite of fairness and sportsmanship.

• zomgod! 1

Got my car back from the shop, she apparently now whistles at full throttle (which is hardly my normal driving - so no idea if that's new or not), only to discover an oil puddle on the driveway when I got home. Doesn't bode well...

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Got my car back from the shop, she apparently now whistles at full throttle (which is hardly my normal driving - so no idea if that's new or not), only to discover an oil puddle on the driveway when I got home. Doesn't bode well...

Oh nooooooooooooooo.. Timo i KNOW that feeling.  I remember when I used to drive taking my car in, and seeing and feeling little things that... i didnt remember being there before ... found this situation very awkward and...expensive.

I hope you come to solution 

:blink: 

gogo

Sorry to hear this. If it was after a repair, Did you have a paper contract with the garage of the mechanics? Take a witness and demand that the garage fixes the new problem for free.

I miss my former business car. Some month ago I had to do full brakes and the car behind crashed in mine. My BMW GT was quite new with brake assists and ceramic brakes. The car behind was 20 years old, heavy and bad brake discs. Still few weeks for a new company car. Had to be build individual because I have to transport heavy metal probes at speed 200km/h. Because flying is no option, triggering explosives alarm at airports.

• Like! 1

Eh, apparently they tried to keep costs down for me by re-using the original sump even though they had a really hard time getting it off (apparently it's 'glued' on from factory). So basically, they tried to do me a favour and it backfired. They'll redo the work on the sump this week, I'll only have to pay for the new sump. No labour or other materials (oil).

The whistling was nothing major, a gasket near the turbo failed. They found it pretty much immediately and fixed it in 5 minutes free of charge.

@chattius Ceramic brakes? You don't track that car right, why would you have ceramic brakes?

13 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Eh, apparently they tried to keep costs down for me by re-using the original sump even though they had a really hard time getting it off (apparently it's 'glued' on from factory). So basically, they tried to do me a favour and it backfired. They'll redo the work on the sump this week, I'll only have to pay for the new sump. No labour or other materials (oil).

The whistling was nothing major, a gasket near the turbo failed. They found it pretty much immediately and fixed it in 5 minutes free of charge.

@chattius Ceramic brakes? You don't track that car right, why would you have ceramic brakes?

I used to transport heavy prototype parts to customers. Add that I live in Germany's mid mountain range and that 200km/h downhill with a heavy load works hard on the brakes if somebody changes lane too close. Ceramic lasts longer and is way more expensive, but ... having normal brakes checked and perhaps replaced each half year isn't cheap too.

Main reason is the fading effect: if you have to do heavy braking two times in follow normal brakes loose brake power.

I can understand that, but still. They are worse in daily driving AFAIK? Did they come stock? I know TÜV is a thing there :P but I assume upgrading to a big brake kit (ie 4-6piston, slotted or drilled rotors) would be less expensive.

Edit: looking at some Brembo pricing right now, okay maybe not: 7k-20k. Nevermind :P

• Like! 1

Was my company car. The option for extra cargo weight demanded better brakes which had to be tested and certified for this change. Believe me already certified ceramic brakes were the cheapest!!! option.

Brembo said that there ceramic brakes last a car life if you are not exceeding 600C. You need 2-3 sets of compound brakes for a car life. So the costs are quite the same and the ceramic has more advantages.

I am not speaking about normal cars. But 200km/h, heavy load and 60000km a year change a lot in the calculation.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...