Dark Messiah Might and Magic

Heroes of Might and Magic was the game that got me into games and I have been waiting for what seems like many years for the next one to come out and finally here comes Dark Messiah Might and Magic! It is being released on the 27th of this month.

:):woot::woot:

For anyone who is interested the official site is here

Yes, Yarasa, the M&M series are a one player "shooting" game.

I have been playing the Might and Magic series since Might and Magic VI came out and in my opinion they are the best RPGs ever!

When Deadman told me M&M X was coming out, I hit the roof!!

WOOOOOT!

Wow!!

If this is the same Might & Magic series that Tip Hawkins developed while with 3DO, it should be awesome. I remember when 3DO went belly-up, the rights to the Might and Magic series and the Heroes of Might & Magic were sold to Ubisoft. I had heard rumors that MMX was coming, but had no idea it had gone gold. Thanks for the info, Aurora :)

I, too started my RPG life with Might & Magic VI and played VI - IX. Except for the last one they were all great RPG's -- good character development, cool story lines (with a real twist at the end), lot's of battle action, strategy, good puzzles to solve and the best of all, for me was the non-linear feel to the game. You could venture pretty much wherever you wanted (or dared), do whatever you wanted, develop your characters whichever ways you liked and still have a great time with the game itself without that real dumb linear "follow the plot" requirement like Dungeon Siege had. One of he really cool things were the Easter Eggs; the secret scrolls, great NPC characters (and names), hidden dungeons and treasure and the like...

From what I saw in the demo, it doesn't look like you have a four-member party like in MMVI - MMIX and I'll miss that that. This was a great feature in that you could have a true fighter coupled with an archer complimented by a mage and/or a sorceror. The right combo in a party was critical in some of the battles where you needed a ranged attacker, a mage to deal out magic damage, a melee fighter for the up-close and personal, plus a healer. Wow, gettin' excited now... :woot:

I hear they may have a multi-player option coming soon as well, but I believe the upcoming release is single-player only.

I'm looking forward to it and am hoping that it stays true to the old Might and Magic tradition of a real RPG and it's not all just FPS like Doom or Quake.

• 1 year later...

So I borrowed this game from a friend the other day... I read a lot of mixed reviews and the end result of reviews is about 75/100 - I give it 85/100 (after patching) - fortunately the patch fixed some serious glitches with my Gforce FX card !

Reviewers are complaining about the game being too easy, but unless I've lost my 'touch' with FPS games, it really is not all that easy. The spiders dish out some hectic poison and I've ended up dead in most tough battles more than once...

Reviewers are complaining about voice acting, but let's be honest here if you want good voice acting, don't go searching for it in games... that being said, the ambient sounds are great. The only thing I don't like about the sound is that I'm playing with headphones and if I'm facing away from a speaking character, the voices are almost too soft... even thought I'm standing right there !

The only other boggle I have with this game is that there's not enough verity when it comes to armour and weapons... about 5 special swords, bows and staffs and 2 special armour sets for the warrior, wizard and assassin. and about 5 rings, and that's it... but I guess that alright since the focus is more on gameplay, than character modding.

Gameplay is loads of fun and my desk chair delivers a whole lot of squeeks as I move around fighting 'em baddies. I'm not really the type to move about this way-and-that when gaming, but this game brings the biting-tounge-gamer out in me... and chopping of an enemies limb is great ! You can use the environment to your advantage in a fight, but I normally realize that only after a fight... not a lot of time to look around for environmental advantages when parrying like crazy ! Although I tend to try and kick enemies off ledges and cliffs as often as possible ! Just to hear 'em scream I must admit... :)

In the end I suppose I'll play it twice - once as a worrior/bowmen and once as a wizard. I'm not really a sneak-around type gamer, so I won't try the assassin class...

I guess you'd be able to get this game fairly cheap these days so while waiting for Sacred 2, go out and get this one !

oh, and one thing that get's to me a bit is that you can't combine yer sword and shield in a single slot... so switching between the bow and sword/shield means that you have to equip the sword first and then equip the shield afterwards... this is not an issue early on in the game when you first find a sword and shield, then I only needed to switch to my shield and my sword would come along with it, but when I found a better sword all of that changed.... so my sword is in slot 2 and my shield in slot 1 - if I hit 2-1 too quick I sometimes end up with a staff in my hands ! And that's just no good at all !

Edited by Scleameth

I have this game in my storage of games to play.

Started playing it but that got halted when Hellgate London came along. That got halted by Crysis. That got halted by Mythos.

Why does a gamers life have to be so hectic? :)

stubbs

my computer manhandles the requirements for this game, but it still... STILL... still freezes and comes up with some game engine error. it makes my entire computer restart (god I hate that) and it leaves me sitting wondering what random error will come up this time. I've played the first 3 "chapters" and then was done with it when I got the error whenever chapter 4 finished loading. I tried a reinstall, and a few other things... but it just refuses to be played. on a side note... it just reminds me of a cheap version of oblivion. fun to play sometimes, but I'll stick with my vintage heroes 3

-Total