We love our internet friends

Guest gogoblender

I whole heartedly agree

lol, no dif for me whether a person's online or in rl sometimes. I kind of think sometimes of how I would relate to people if I were physically disabled. The internet is a marvelously new and powerful way to connect to others without the constraints of a physical presence.

Being deaf, having no limbs, debilitating stutter...the net empowers all these and many more.

This is a new way of connecting and one that can have great benefits for those that don't share, perhaps, the physical abilities of others. Net Communities are even becoming a new and awesome way for older people to connect to others that share their same interests.

Great find Cth

:D

gogo

Awesome thread Cth! And right back at you! All!

I would have posted sooner but I was hoping I would think of something profound to write. Alas, nothing has come to mind. (Does the word Alas count? It's kinda profound right? :o )

Great article. I think internet, with regards to social interaction, took a bad hit for many years. Anonymity can bring out the ugly in a lot of people who would abuse it and I think for many years before the popularity of forums/online communities people who wanted to comunicate had mostly chats to to do it with which, IMO, is often just a "social quickie". I did use chats, mirc, for a while when it was very popular and I read a great deal of abusive chatting. It didn't really matter to the abuser because they could just create a new identity the next time.

Forums are defintely an advance in net socializing compared to chat and, as many of you know and do, forums combined with chat can really tie it all together for a flourishing community.

In some ways I think net socializing is faaaar better than rl socializing. In particular with regards to meeting new people. In rl the first form of decision making as to whether or not to socialize with a person is, be it concious or not, is based on physicality. If some one by nature has a sour expression on their face we likely won't be so inclined to take the initiative and say hello even tho that person might be very kind at heart. And there's also the shyness factor in rl which I think is felt much less on the net. That's a personal feeling anywho. I find there to be a lot less limitations to socializing on the net.

Oh and blah blah blah blah..... Oh god listen to me. What a stick in the mud. lol. :drool: Let me summarize.

You guys rock!

It's been an awesome ride so far. Cheers to every one of us! :)

Not a stick in da mud at all Schot, very well put I reckon :3lmao:

I agree with you all completely...lnr%20(1).gif

I dont know what I would do without all of you! Seriously its great to always have someone to chat to in IRC or come in here if I am feeling a litttle down - always does the trick...

THanks to all of you :3lmao:

Wow.. That made me feel even closer to you all... I had been pondering similar thoughts lately. I was some what surprised at my level of genuine affection for you all, and priority I sometimes put on my online friends as opposed to RL ones. I decided it was simple: I enjoy the company, the conversation and the diversity. All new for me and I'm a better person for it. :Just_Cuz_21: <<<<<< I just love this smiley LOL