Kitchen experimentation

Ankhanu

When I'm in the kitchen, I rarely work from a recipe... I like to play.

This evening, I'm testing a chicken dish.

.: 2 Breasts of chicken, cut into ~1.5cm cubes

place the chicken into a pan spread with olive oil, add a little more olive oil to coat all pieces, remove excess

sprinkle on:

.: ground black pepper

.: Cumin

.: Onion powder

.: Garlic powder

.: Cayenne pepper

.: poultry seasoning

.: Curry powder (yellow)

.: Tumeric

.: Mrs Dash, blended spice

Bake at 350 for about 30-45 min

sprinkle on parmesan (was supposed to be cheddar, but apparently we're out... plan changed) and melt.

I'll let you know how it tastes when we try it.

It's being served with mashed potatoes (skin in), flavoured with lots of butter, garlic powder, black pepper, salt and a little cumin.

Guest gogoblender

The recipe sounds simple and tasty Ankh. And I like the fact it's made with breasts as seeing chicken bones and gristle can really weird me out fast.

I'm curious about your use of the word not as "complex" as you wanted. Did you want more "zing"?

Or a chicken dish as complex, maybe like thai or indian curries?

:D

gogo

p.s. you just reminded me of the fun of mashed...haven't had that in a while, I think will indulge.

Yeah, it was a uniform flavour that held little surprise. I was hoping for something that when you're eating it, you experience the various flavours that went into making it, individually and in groups... kind of like a good curry; something with layers of flavour. This didn't quite hit that, unfortunately.

Yeah, mashed potatoes are great. Not enough people are willing to experiment with flavouring them, though, so most mashed potatoes are just that; potatoes that have been made into a paste. But, with a healthy dose of butter and some spicing, they can be an experience unto themselves :D

Guest gogoblender
Yeah, mashed potatoes are great. Not enough people are willing to experiment with flavouring them, though, so most mashed potatoes are just that; potatoes that have been made into a paste. But, with a healthy dose of butter and some spicing, they can be an experience unto themselves :)

Agreed

and I've always been surprised at how little work peeps put into their mashed

I have , in the past:

1-left skins on

2-added, when trying to be good, nothing but chicken broth dissolved in hot skim milk.

3-one of my friends form the SIF recommended painting butter on top of the mashed on sheppards pie to give it a glaze. This was the first time I'd ever thought about a "glaze" on mash,har :cha (18):

4-added mushrooms, cream and butter, and more cream and buter. Man was that ever good.

hey...was that my heart that just wailed out?

:whistle:

gogo

Guest gogoblender

I once put Cheese on top of mashed then baked it.

VERY cool.

I got a crust on top AND...a ton of the cheese "segued" into the mashed, colored and luxuriously flavored them

;)

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I think people should experiment with mash one heck of a lot more!

Cook it with the cheese already mixed in... :3lmao:

or add herbs or spices

:drinks:

~Doom

Mmmmmmm, mashed potatoes :3lmao:

Wasabi mashed potatoes are my favorite. It's just a simple mix-in too, so if you're not sure if you'll like it just add a bit to a single serving to try it.

If I don't have wasabi I'll sometimes add a bit of horseradish sauce while I'm mashing it.

Sometimes when I want just a little extra flavor I'll add sour cream while mashing it.

(in both of the last cases reduce the butter & milk/cream a bit or they get too runny)

Guest gogoblender

oooh, horseradish is kinda no no fer me...and so weird too in that way. I can handle almost any amount of hot spice. But horseradish. Man that hits the back of my head like a hot iron.

owch

:gun2:

gogo