CTRL W...NOOOOOOOOOO..OOOOOO!!!

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

Yes

The culprit

The devil

The little Digital Daemon hiding tweenst the keys, waiting to take a bit out of my time whenever it suits his fancy or when I'm drunk.

I've wondered now, why after getting this new fandangled keyboard, sometimes after putting together a long post all of a sudden...POOF...the post AND Forum would go up in smoke.

Usually every day when my comp turns on I get to ogame, DarkMatters and Sif. I usually use one window to do all my posting for DM on and sometimes, after a few beers, partying or just really typing fast the entire forum would Blammo drop.

I had tried and tried to find out what was causing this but was unable to track down the error.

Today after losing almost thirty minutes of work in another forum I post I'd decided I'd have enough. I did a very long and arduous check of every single left hand/right hand key combination I could think of ...and BannGO!

There it was

CTRL W!

It turns out that sometimes if my pinkie would hit a fraction of a millimetre too low on the right hand whilst attempting to produce a Capital W which would be Shift (Right Pinkie) W (Left Ring Finger) and instead hit CTRL...I'd get a Close Windows OPeration...

:whistle:

Apparently this is some sort of evil, nefarious Microsoft OS short cut that works through browsers and is unbelievably close to the shift button and can completly erase a ton of inputted work!

And the really horrible thing is...I can't seem to find a way to disable this short cut...

Halp!

:thumbsup:

gogo

Lol, that sounds annoying.

I've never done that before, but I've accidentally activated the 'Sticky key' function countless times by holding down the shift button too long. Sooo annoying. And every time it takes like forever to switch it off, because I forget how to do it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

arrrrrrrrrgh!! When gogo asked me what does crtl + W do...I said absolutely nothing...then he asked whether I am certain...I said irritatingly "yes" (just so that I can finish up my rice and digest it in time before my boxing lessons :whistle:...) Anyways, he showed me...the magic while I was chomping the rice :wub: ... ARRGh...what just happened:)!?!?! the tab disappeared.... :D is it just gogo's pc:) I went to my laptop with my mouthful of rice still chomping and tried it myself ... and then I did the unthinkable - I spit some rice outta my mouth and shouted OMG>!!

What kind of retard would even use crtl + W .. in my 10 year experience with pc, I never once use this stooopid shortcut.... and now because of this shortcut I have to find and wipe the spilled rice before the ants get to it......ants bewared :( u come inside this room u d...I....e :evil::mad:

anyways :P I gotta sugar up now and be ready for my boxing. ciao

hk :devil:

Lol, that sounds annoying.

I've never done that before, but I've accidentally activated the 'Sticky key' function countless times by holding down the shift button too long. Sooo annoying. And every time it takes like forever to switch it off, because I forget how to do it. :3lmao:

Just click on "cancel" when it asked whether you wanted to have the stickey key...

ot

P.S. for more info about shortcuts and things that you would have never thought of, press F1 for keyboard shortcuts, only then you would know that ctrl + w can't be turned off :drinks:

Edited by OuttaTown

First I hear of this !! :3lmao:

I use ctrl + F4 to close tabs and alt + F4 to close windows.... but that's been there since Windows 95 (or might be even before :) dunno..)

I've been tuned into Sacred again and tempt to hit the windows key when 'aiming' for the alt key... after some swear words, I'm back into ice-sharding but lucky for me ctrl W is a looooong way from any shortcuts in Sacred !! :drinks:

Guest gogoblender

Guys I'm so stumped...I really hate this shortcut and nothing I do seems to get rid of it.

Halp!

Short of taking that key does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

:gun2:

gogo

• 1 year later...

Ugh

It just happened again.

Man, I HATE that shortcut..someone give microsoft a lobotomy for me will ya?

:unsure:

gogo

p.s. I've had it with the fancy keyboard...time to go retro

heh, it's eeeeeeeeeeeeevol, Locutus :P

And stubbie, that's a great find, I'll give it a go today and report back, hopefully this will corner the bully forever

:pitcher:

gogo