On Butterflies and Boxing.

it wasn't shot in montreal for sure - they only edited the big scenes on computer in Montreal .... :)

Anyways I tried doing the 300 and I am in Hell it was very hard indeed- and I can understand how Brad Pitt from Troy or Gerard Buttler for the matter couldn't stand doing the whole 4-6 hours workout without puking. !

I tried doing intensively since Sunday - and BOY is it hard - By the time I got the Monday - I could only do 4 hours of training and by today -- only 3 hours + an energy bar... to the spartans in the movie I salute you :P ... Anyways- maybe it's also due to my diet - since I have to lose weight all I have been eating are veggies, some meat, and very little rice (where I usually get my energy).

Well Today - I have a hard decision to make- I have to decide whether I will have to do the quebec championship (I.e. fighting with people who have more experience than me... Quebec Cup Link.... Although I just started, the very idea to box with the experienced kinda excites me. I only have 3 days to decide and tell the coach - but after coming home, typing all this, thinking how much I trained - I will do it - even it's defeat- cause I should not be afraid of defeat, I will stand tall and crow even though I lose. well I have 4 more pounds to lose. maybe if I am lucky enough, someone will take a pic of me - and I'd show you all !! :P

ot

May the force be with you

Edited by OuttaTown

wow HK! Go for it...and get someone to take lots of pics of your fight! :) Damn I'd come n cheer you on if it was a lot nearer!

As for a herbal remedy for getting smacked hard...LOL...don't get smacked...no seriously try using Arnica and believe me it really does work wonders for aches, pains, strains helps draw the bruising so it's gone faster. I have a huge bottle of it for me n the kids and general use....great when you get that horrible achey feeling with flu or somesuch...just rub it on and it eases the aches. I use it a couple of times a week as routine just because it's great after a long hot soak in the bath :D

Also you could try Comfrey has a similar effect to Arnica.

And don't worry about not having a comfrey bush hehe a good herbalist will stock a comfrey tincture of some sort...I had a comfrey bush a few years ago and I'd just steep the leaves in hot water for a while and then use the liquid and bashed up leaves in a plain cream as a rub for aches n pains and such. Also if you can get fresh comfrey leaves if you scrunch them a little like you would with a doc leaf for nettle stings they make a nice cool kind of bandaid (not for open wounds really) but just laid on top!

Anyway this is your boxing thread...so back to that...I can't wait to hear about your fight...all the best of luck loosing those 4 pounds and with the fight itself, they might have more experience but you will be new and fresh so they might not be expecting any suprising hits from you...hehe then you can knock em out!

Go for it HK

:P:D:P

This morning I wasn't feeling well, as competition day is closing by :P and the butterflies are inside my stomache, nearly giving me an anxiety attack. :D

But mostly because of my cold :sick: - due to unforseenable sudden change of weather...

Also by :gogo:'s friendly and sunny pressure :blink: to find my digital camera when I was hurrying preparing myself for the boxing class. I am sorry- if I am seem rude for not talking...but I just really needed to focus on what I was doing, and if in the later weeks, I might still behave the same. I hope no one will take it in a wrong way if I have a poker face...:bow: !

Many of the people participating the boxing gala are training very hard- running, abs workout, bags, etc. Today I had the very opportunity to spar with a friendly experienced competitor (and friends) whom I might be really fighting on championship day. Wow! those guys are fast and violent. All heard words were "tue-le" which litterally means "kill him," but of course with uppercuts, cross then hooks.... I wasn't even able to nearly keep up with the boxer who didn't even give his 100%!...But, he complimented me for having what it takes to be a good boxer. Secretly I was in :yay: mode, but I don't have any illusions- I am not as ready as he is. That is wh, in my final three days, just before the competition, I will do a 20 min push ups, 30min ab workout, 45-60 min run to lose weight, 30 min of shadow boxing, 30 minutes of bag workout, 10 to 15 min pads with coach depending on him, and try to do as much sparring as possible.

Heck, on the day of competition, I might enter with one swollen eye before even competing. and give my best ;) to the boxers hehehee. Kidding. It's not a game. and You can't just stop. :whip:

Right now I am gonna do just that - that 30 minute abs..

ot

Edited by OuttaTown

It took me three days of fasting or eating very little to lose 3 kg; from 70 kg to 67 kg. Desperate measures were needed as I didn't have enough time left. I hardly eat (several spinach leaves and a slice of pineapple) and drink (I sipped a tsp water, or spit it after rinsing in the mouth)....+ lots of cardio- It was On Thurs that I have finally achieved my weight goal - gruesomely- :) it is unhealthy I know, but very fast, the competition arrives tomorow Friday, March 23- and there were no time to have a gradual weight loss...

Every time I see someone eat, I will avoid them. I was suffering Tantalus's supplice (unsure whether that's an english word, but I kinda tired so forgive me). This afternoon, while discussing about my future with my friend at a coffee shop (cause he wants to counsel me before I decide to accept on going to law school) all I can see was the magnificient display of food...My eyes were staring at him then back to the food unendlessly, back and forthe. he felt bad and offered me some oatmeal cookie- I refused him knowing that I shouldn't be eating since I have to weigh in before the competition.

I was supposed to stay in and relax before the day of competion; however, coach asked me to come to practice one last time, knowing that I might not stand a chance, knowing that I only had 3 months of serious intense training, and knowing that the 3 months of intense training will not get me as ready to face the fierce contenders who had at least several combat experience. he asked me whether I wanted to quit- I didn't say anything...as I was too tired to think. So he said that he will pull me out of the ring if he sees me not withstanding. that's reasonable I thought so I nodded...and continued training. at the end of the night I was .4kg lighter than I was supposed to be. I was happy. cause that means I can eat at least some food, and drink some water.

I ate one whole pineapple, knowing it's non fat and medicinal properties- and I had a whey protein shake before I tried to sleep at 10 pm (it's not successufl as it's 12 35 am)...I can't sleep- all I can think of is the fight- how I can be aggressive, how I can be calm, how I can figtht with brains -

I better go back trying to sleep- and get myself energized before the fight

ot :)

Edited by OuttaTown

Well...This morning when I did the weigh in, I was 67.5 kg and my opponent 69 kg. The officials asked me whether that's okay. I didn't object. And that was the worst mistake I ever made! Anyways, what was done was done. I was hungry and went to mcdonald's- and ate like a pig: salad, mcmuffin sausage with egg, orange juice, double cheeseburger, mc junior chicken sandwich, and two apple pies. It was then 11:20 (Second mistake I ate too much before the competition and didn't have enough time to digest). When I got to the ring side, I was stretching, and did the prep and everything, but I already felt I had no strength in me, I guess it went to digest the food.

I gulped a few packs of sugar - and then heard my name announced- so I choked on the sugar... I was late! so I rushed with my coach to the marshalling area - and they said that I have to be inside the ring within 3 minutes or I will be disqualified (third-fourth mistake). As I got inside the ring I was nervous and unready. The referree was there impatient. I see the people. I see my muscular opponent....who saw how skinny I was. (fith to ninth mistake).

When it started, according to my friend, :) I had the advantage although I wasn't really using any strength- the opponent was scared at first but then as he didn't feel my power so he just imposed on me.....I started throwing 40 so punches weakly on him, and was ultimately burnt out (52nd mistake)...I just let him enter (53rd mistake) and I just retreated nth times (54th nth times mistake). I forgot to protect my head and was punched in the face (100th mistake)...I felt nearly got k.o. :tongue: as my vision became blurry and I didn't wake up fast enough (101th mistake) my hands were always downward and I didn't even know that means I give up (102nd and 103rd mistakes that sealed my fate!! I was wondering the whole time why the referring was counting fingers... ;) )

I lost the championship cup in one round. ;) I didn't do much actually...My coach said that I was so nervous that my arm and legs became weak- My friend complained that I beat him up so much and that I didn't even use my right hammer on the stranger.... ;) sorry dude I just am weak today.

That is why I promised myself and to my friend that we will work hard together till March 30- and make sure that the next time I know what I was doing in the ring. It's a good experience.

ot

Edited by OuttaTown

Sorry to hear you got defeated in your match. :whistle:

But don't worry, being worried and nervous about an important thing like a match is natural and your bound to make some mistakes when you're just starting. With more training, experience and determination you will be able to overcome this and eventually defeat the strongest of opponents.

Victory will soon be in reach. :)

I guess thats the hardest fight you will ever have in some ways...Your first...the nerves and anxiety...Now you know how it goes next time you will be ready and know how to use your body to it's full advantage. Don't be down hearted though! You have started on your path and next time KAPOW!

You have my respect anyways no matter the outcome! :whistle:

What a great story, hk. And keep goin. Nothing you wrote about says anything other than you were nervous. And, good that you were! Committing to anything to wholeheartedly for the first time means you're taking it seriously. And have put worth on the line. Yeah it really sucks if things don't go out the way you kind of thought they would...but oh boy...you just know it's gonna be all worth it the day it does! The cool thing about all of this is that you've already come ahead just by stepping into the ring. And I bet you've learned a heck of a lot more than you did in those few minutes than probably a ton of times at the gym before. So go back to the sparring, keep hitting and really important...notch up the learning cap and REALLY look at what you have to learn the before you go back in again.

Great job hk

Let's do this again

+++

:whistle:

gogo

p.s Watch the nutrition okay?

Maybe make a scheduelle twenty four hours before a fight with excel regarding how, when you'll eat before hand and even block digestion times based on your own body.

Yeah I know it sounds all technical but, if you wanna get a really good look at what you need to do before a fight it'll come easy.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

• 1 month later...

LOL!

Taht's just like my uncle telling my cuz to quit it.

Know what he told him?

No

:viking;

:0

gogo

p.s. course, if mom's helpin out with tuition, yo've got a problem lol

Maybe tell her that she's putting you in the position where if she's not suportive of your choices you'll share less and less of your life with her.

That always scares parents

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Several weeks ago, I remember very clearly it was less sunny, windier and very humid. On that very week, it was moving time. Everything was done in an orderly fashion and I give all the credits for my mother. We had to move my everything to storage. I moved out of ogame central to Sherbrooke City. Gosh what a boring city! I have no choice but to come back to Montreal for I had nothing to do over there....

Before my mom has gone home, she "made" me promise not to box anymore. I had a very strong impression that all she did not want is for me to incur any injuries (and as a son, I know how a mother feels, worries, and unable to let go). So I obeyed her to stop boxing in order to please her.

A month has passed by and since the last time I have seen her, I have nothing but miserable. I have subscribed to the YMCA (a large gym franchise in Canada) and trained on my own. It helps but barely. Suddenly, I had this sudden urge to go paddle for the dragon boat club. I do not know why, but even paddling does not help....So, I have decided to visit my old gym, the boxing gym. I tried to put back the gloves. the gloves magically and wonderfully fit my hands perfectly, as if I were born with them. The trainer came to me and asked how come I have disappeared...and he wondered whether I would like to compete for this saturday's boxing gala. I adamantly refused for I do not want to break any promises. He sighed and exclaimed, "what a waste of your talent!" I was not too sure what he really means by that. All I know, is that if I box I will get injured, for one I have not had trained for more than one month!

I have sent an e-mail to my parents. I confessed to them about my unhappiness. I told them that I have finally understood that I am a boxer and my wings were litterally clipped the day I stopped boxing. So, I told them I have to box and all I can assure them is the possibility to stay in top shape with what I now have and try not to get injured. My parents have understood. They gave me the blessing to continue what I like.

Yesterday, I revisited the boxing gym again. And, this time, I arrived very late and unfortunately I have to meet the gym owner, Patrick. Patrick greeted me. Although I knew the only reason why he greeted me was because he wants me to pay, I smiled and embraced him as if we're pals for a long time. Then came several of my friends: abou the reigning champion, his gf, youssef the reigning champion of another title, my sparring partners, Jocelyn the good looking and hard working and talkative nice friend, z the crazy juijutsu guys, and some other I cannot remember the names. They greeted me with passion, a passion that I found twisted for in this fraternity we beat each other up and we laugh at each other.

Patrick wanted me to pay 115 $ for 2 months and asked whether I would like to fight against the 6 feet 7 tall guy. I am jobless and said that I would not like to participate in any fights for I am out of shape. Then came Jocelyn. She bargained with Patrick for me (cause I am really shy to bargain.... :woot: ) and Patrick said fine 70$ for 2 months but there is catch: I have to fight with the 6 feet 7 tall guy :D

Damn I said. The trainer was happy that I am fighting, but as soon as he found out the reason, he swore in his franco accent with some arabic words about Patrick.....¨Poor him, I thought, I made him again public enemy # 1 at the gym...lol....Unfortunately for me, I only have 2 days to train before the big fight, and I am telling you guys, PRAY FOR ME !

wow HK you have certainly had your up and downs this last month. I am so glad your parents consented to letting you box again! Thats great news!...As for your upcoming fight, there's an expression here, 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall' :D Keep that in mind when you are in the ring...he may well be bigger than you but doesn't mean he is better or tougher;) Break a leg for the fight and keep your spirits up :D It's great to see you back :woot:

boxing.gif

ps, get some pics this time!

First off, please forgive me guys.....but....I forgot my cam again :yay:

Well....Today I was reaally into the whole diet structure knowing that I will be fighting at around 7 PM or later. So I start off my day eating high carbs oatmeal, then three hours later, high carb rice + high protein chicken, then 3 hours later lots of veggies and rice and little bit of chicken. I was full even when I was fighting (at 10:30 PM).

Anyways, strangely, as opposed to what I thought the whole time, I did not feel any nervousness. well, actually only a little bit, in the morning before breakfast time. Even though, I could not feel my limbs, I remained calm, perhaps tooo calm. I'll explain shortly.

At 5:30 when I arrived at the gym, there was no one but me. All I saw was several men from another school, all buffed and mean looking. I slowly retreated, although they looked mean, it did not scare me, for I knew for sure that those were not the men I will be fighting :drunkards:

Several time has passed. it was time to weigh in. I weigh 160 lbs and was starting to feel a bit shocked because I thought I was 165. I was like 'beep' what happened to my 5 lbs. the guy I am fighting weighs 180 lbs...6 feet 7! (I think I said that in previous post). but 20lbs of difference is a lot if you know what I mean when you go lifting dumbells at the gym.

I was not scared. I said to myself I sparred with him before. I know him (maybe not enough). the trainer specified to us not to hit each other too hard but gently. I accepted. and I thought, it was mutual. Unfortunately NOT!

That was what I mean by I was too calm. At the start of the first round, I took some punches on purpose without hitting him back too much because my instincts told me that he would be aggressive. And I was right. So the first round was a bit boring. He was the one who did all the action. Although, I took punches like a pro lol.....

Second Round, I was not piffed until I got knocked down and bled a little from my nose. That was when I got piffed. (He confessed to me later one, "uh oh, I should not have done that, now he is really going to hit me hard") Well I have decided to hit him hard to the point that he was too scared to approach me.

I was happy cause so many people cheered for me :lol:....and even though it was an exhibition fight, I got so many compliments from people who said I fought with style :yay:

I think tonight, I will sleep with my participation medal :yay: or simply not sleep at all for I am still too excited.

OT.

At the end I saw the video the gym owner's minions took. I was happy. I did fight with style and the guy only has long reach and limbs.