StarLancer

Well, since I'm almost done again I thought I'd see who would be interested in either head to head or multiplayer coop in the campaign. I have only a few missions left so perhaps this can be a D.A.R.K. sponsored game. Looks like multiplayer is fairly simple with TCP/IP.

Edited by DaveO
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave we need to try this out one day play coparetive to see how this will work. Then we can look for people to team up with. Anyone played StarLancer on MP?

Ok, so both options worked. It just looks like I need to use Win 98. No biggy since I won't have to deal with potential XP crashes. Me and Kat did the 1st mission in coop mode.

I may be mistaken, but it seems that the default difficulty for coop multiplayer is either Medium or Hard. Me and Katran are looking for new recruits to join our sessions. Join the 45th Volunteer squadron and let's all stop the Coalition!

P.S. - I yet again took down the Basilisk fighter in the starter mission though I did miss my chance on bagging the Kamov bomber.

Yap it was fun and after some trial and error we did make it work. On my part the game ran great no lag or anything so I guess after a few tests and an finding a good time we can start the team coop. run. :bow:

So here I ask anyone who is interested in playing MP with me and Dave to post so we can find a good time for everyone to play together as a team. As fare as I know the game will let 6 people to team up so there is not much room. If more people show the interest we can set up two or more teams to run the game.

TEAM:

1.Katran

2.Daveo

3.Schot [schot I put your name since you already showed interest for playing :sigh:]

Ah great stuff you two. I'm glad to read you managed to find some time to try it out. Cool! :D

I haven't had time to try out the game just yet but will certainly give it a try.

Me and Katran have agreed to give no more spoilers on the story or the missions. So read up on this thread if you want, but don't expect us to provide anything beyond fighter suggestions for missions. I think I better start practicing in Hard just so that I keep my edge and get even better in dogfights against the enemy! I am looking forward to one more member on this team so that we can have some good times and memories.

Ok, now Hard is a bit hard! So I'm fairly sure the campaign is Medium. In Hard you can't get too close to torpedoes since the explosion could also destroy your ship. One minor shot barrage against me took down my front shields, so at least we won't have to deal with too much frustration with whoever we manage to recruit for the team.

Edited by DaveO

Ah you guys must really like the story line to be holding it back, haha. Cool. :yay:

Alright then... I'm gonna hold off on playing the demo and instead, steal gogo's credit card, buy the full version online. Seems to be on average 8 dollars so no probs there. As punishment for your both withholding juicy details you guys are gonna have to train me, lol.

No problem there Schot we can always run some Death Matches for a test. Plus there is a training mission for the start so you can play that as much as you like till you get the hand on it.

Come on people we need more pilots here. :yay:

By the way we need to find what would be a good time for us all.

I vote for friday or saturday play time 1 hour or 2. I think that way we will have a lot of weeks of fun. :)

To answer Kat's question, you have six people on your wing in SP so I expect the same limit in multiplayer. We both agreed that Hard will give us all the most satisfaction, so fighter selection and skills are even more important.

Hard? :) You guys wanna see me suffer eh, lol. I guess that's where the "satisfaction" comes into play huh. Cruel cruel cruel. :)

Come now Schot! What chance does a 2001 AI stand against 6 gamers. :gun2: Trust me hard is the only way we all will get some level of challenge. By they way get Gogo to get his game copy we need all the pilots we can get. :) Come on Gogo join up for Queen and country. :o

Schot, Hard difficulty is only hard in SP. As long as our team does not get reckless and engage in kamikaze manuevers, we should be able to get past the missions well. Once you get your copy we can practice in either deathmatch or coop to get you up to speed. I think the first five or so missions at most in the campaign will be adequate training.

I've learned more essential survival tactics. Getting too close to some ships is an excellent way to die on a mission. I'm up to mission 8, so I certainly hope we can get a team made before I finish the campaign for the third time. C'mon pilots!!

Schot, Hard difficulty is only hard in SP. As long as our team does not get reckless and engage in kamikaze manuevers, we should be able to get past the missions well. Once you get your copy we can practice in either deathmatch or coop to get you up to speed. I think the first five or so missions at most in the campaign will be adequate training.

Sounds great Dave though just one prob... No Kamikaze maneuvers?! That might be hard for me, haha. But I will try. :D Awaiting it's arrival!

Oh, you can bump into other fighters and your wingmates without issues on almost all of the missions. Friendly fire is a different matter though since if you manage to accidently hit a fellow wingmate or a friendly ship there will be an unpleasant reception back on your carrier. Against fighters you can get up to point blank range and not worry, but I'd not advise being too close to Kamov bombers or torpedoes or capital ships when they explode. I feel that the early single shot missiles with the exception of Jackhammers are not very useful. However, I probably will try the early exotic missiles just to see how good they are when we get together.

Edited by DaveO

Oh good. So I can bump around all I please then. I have a feeling I'll doing a lot of that, lol.

Soooooo... I got it! Woohoo! Came in today and am just getting around to installing it now. Bring on tha Death Match and may the best Schot win. :(

Finaly I was about to bump this topic!

I am alll yours schot friday if you have the time lets give you some training and saturday we can run a couple of missions. :(

Oh and make get gogo to watch the game while its being installed and get him to watch the intro. ;)

I'll be available today too as soon as I get back from work. It will be ~ 4:00 to 4:30 PM AZ time. I suspect Schot will try his hand at a few missions, but that's ok by me. As soon as I return, I'll PM Schot and Katran and we'll begin the training.

P.S. - One minor spoiler. Kurgen corvette ships are MUCH more dangerous on Hard difficulty, but Jackhammers will take them down in one hit.

P.S.S. - I'm currently on mission 16 for Hard difficulty on the campaign.

Edited by DaveO

Gonna have to hold on just a bit longer guys. I got company tonight so tonight will be a no go. Tomorrow looks promising though I do need to do a bit of work on my Kami toon... :drinks:

I'll be ready tomorrow. I just flew two missions today so that I don't have to worry about my pace for tomorrow. I'm flying some ships a bit earlier than in other campaigns, but I guess it's a matter of luck and kill count that gets you more ship selection. I'm not sure how it will work out as a team, but hopefully together we get a good variety. I know the 'good' vs 'bad' Alliance fighters in terms of performance and ability to take damage, and some specific weaknesses of Coalition fighters too. When we play the campaign, we can discuss fighters and missile loadout before each session. Together, we all should come up with a good variety of anti-ship tactics. Since me and Katran are the 'veterans' I think we both should have specific roles, but it's open enough that even Schot as a trainee might want to take on the challenge. :explode:

Ok, at least I was able to host this time. I forgot that I HAVE TO SAVE, so we have to refly mission #2 again. Me and Schot gave it a go, but the fighters took him out each time. Perhaps another session tomorrow?

I'm up for another. :blush:

They beat tha snot outta me so I need some revenge, lol. I managed to find some info on port ranges so you might want to open them up Dave. I just did on my router. I opened all of the below ports just to be sure.

Ports to open rom Microsoft

Open ports:

Using DirectX 7 or an earlier version:

Connection Ports for Client Configuration Ports for Host Configuration
Initial TCP Connection 47624 Outbound 47624 Inbound
Subsequent TCP Inbound 2300-2400 2300-2400
Subsequent TCP Outbound 2300-2400 2300-2400
Subsequent UDP Inbound 2300-2400 2300-2400
Subsequent UDP Outbound 2300-2400 2300-2400

Using DirectX 8 or a later version:

Connection Ports for Client Configuration Ports for Host Configuration
Initial UDP Connection 6073 Outbound 6073 Inbound
Subsequent UDP Inbound 2302-2400 2302-2400
Subsequent UDP Outbound 2302-2400 2302-2400

I found out that we were flying Easy difficulty. I've changed and saved it for Hard, so that means we all need to be even more careful. Due to difficulty, it would likely be best if we got Kat to join in.