StarLancer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're trying it out right now. If we can't get it to work, I guess I'll use my save again. I did check, and it's set to Easy. I don't know how to get it to change barring a replay from mission 1.

Setting my primary machine to Windows 2000 compatibility is no longer running into random crashes like I had before. Barring unforseen difficulties, I'll be finishing the Hard missions today with the exception of the finale. Having played thru the campaign a little over three times and at each difficulty from Easy to Hard, I thought that I'd add some additional comments.

Best early fighter - Naginata. The manueverability and guns on this ship are pretty darn good. Limited hard points, but good missile selection negates this disadvantage.

Best overall fighter - Coyote. The jack-of-all trades fighter. Pick this one when in doubt. While it does not excel in any area, it is adaptable enough to be good for most missions.

Best firepower - Wolverine. Five guns and several missile hardpoints, but it's not very good on torpedo defense.

Worst fighter - Grendel. Don't fly this one outside of the simulator training. It has the lowest maneuverability of all fighters.

Best mission - Too many good ones to pick :hugs:

Worst mission - Kamov strike

Hardest mission(finale excluded) - Dark Reign

Best Coalition fighter - Basilisk

Worst Coalition fighter - Scorpion(pretty easy target for Screamers for a heavy fighter)

Great tips Dave. Thanx!

The only thing I've been playing is the "Instant Action". Boy is that hard! Really helped me to get a handle on the controls though. I just hate having to wait through the simulator's instructions each time... Anyway to skip past that?

You could do the progressive difficulty like I did. The best tips against the enemies I have is to use Z often for 'match speed' so that you don't overfly your target. Some other handy keys: O - all power to shields, ] - balance shields, K- cloak, R - target nearest enemy(very handy). You could also load up on Screamers like I do for most fighters, and use them when you think you can hit an enemy. Given that they do low damage, a few good shots are still enough to take down many fighters. Depending on the enemy fighter, several well timed Screamers can make dogfighting even easier. The hard part is knowing when to shoot and when to hold your fire. You'll still miss, but I figure that Screamers are meant to be used on every mission. Next time, try a pod or two of Screamers and by getting good with them you'll find that it increases your combat capabilities much more. :D

P.S. - Wow! Over 1000 hits on this topic. I think somebody else is interested, or has been reading posts in this thread.

Edited by DaveO
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, where did my fellow pilots wander off to? I just finished a Wing Commander 2 replay, so there will be plenty of time with the remaining Secret Operations missions to fit in some StarLancer multiplayer. I'll keep an eye on this thread like I have before, and hopefully the space skies will be seeing action from all three of us soon.

I'm over here! :D

Just been waiting for one of you two to make the call, haha. Me being the nooblet and all. Though I did a ton of practicing for a while there... I hope I haven't forgotten the 1337 skillz I learned already... :P

Call a day/time and I'll try to be there! :)

Just let me know the best time. Saturdays work best for me, so we can have a session with the two of us. Either I can join your session or you can join mine. I'll send you a PM before Saturday, and we can do some PvP action or head right into the next missions. Other days would mean 5:30PM or later on the weekdays(1230 AM GMT), so I don't think that would work out.

I'm GMT -7 being in Arizona. If Saturdays are a bit hectic, we can try for a weekday but I generally don't get back home until 5:30PM or so.

• 1 month later...

Schot and I got a session going, although we did not get past mission 3. The nice thing is that missions change in multiplayer, so I wonder how different others will be. Thanks for coming along for the ride, Schot!