Worms

Fresh from the triumph of my two "project" threads (one kind response from Gogo, and one response to each from...me) I have come to sit in a corner and sulk.

In my miserable state I am reminded of the following verse...

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me,

Think I'll go and eat worms;

Long thin shiny ones, big fat juicy ones,

Oozy woozy woozy woozy worms.

The long thin shiny one slip down easily,

The big fat juicy ones stick;

Stick in your throat and make you choke

And then they make you sick..YERCH (note the ‘ch’ as in the Scottish ‘loch’)

Quoted by a daughter returning from a Guide camp many years ago.

So….Recipe for worms: (highly thought of in ancient China)

you need some silkworms, about 100 would do.

The cocoons having been wound off, grill the chrysalids in a pan so that the watery part runs right off (I like that bit)

Remove the outer covering to get small yellow objects “rather like carp roes”

Fry these in butter, fat or oil.

If you are of the poorer social orders, season with salt, pepper or vinegar, or eat with rice.

If you are a mandarin or otherwise wealthy, boil for 5 mins, crush with a wooden spoon, beat 3 egg yolks (per 100 silkworms) and pour over the mashed worms. A “beautiful cream, golden yellow and of an exquisite flavour, is obtained”

A magic cure for those of us who are sulking.

If you want other recipes ask the fish or the birds.

Of course vermicelli, spaghetti and macaroni would be reasonable substitutes and more palatable. You would only need, first of all, to adjust the colour by soaking in a good worm stock.

You don't sulk Bond surely!...awww... :D ...getthissenovvereer and ave a reet good natter...but please no worms....wriggly yucky things!

Hows about some reet tasty spit roast pig with stuffing in a big fat bread cake with drippin' and an ice cold pint of crispy dry cider! yummy!

Thats a funny poem Bond :)

It's such a shock,

I almost screech

When I find a worm

inside my peach!

But then, what really

makes me blue

Is to find a worm

who's bit in two!

-William Cole

Yummy indeed. Hey, talking of pigs, the missus found a way of making crackling separately and capable of being kept and staying crisp. I think it was a long time in a slow oven but I'll dig it out.

See - better already :D

oooh long lasting crackling! hehe funny it doesn't get a chance to be stored in my house but on the off chance it would be really good to know!

Raises a glass to Bond :D

Poetry is not my strong point, but if you beat the worm up into a paste it doesn't taste like what you would imagine it would be. And I hear that certain worms are very rich in essential mineral.

Anyway, I imagine this is y you should never tasted anything oriental w/o asking what it is. A while back I was in china (well HK is a part of China now but you know what I mean), there is this sausage that tasted rather good, I asked and that was not really sausage, its pig intestine stuffed with meat. lol even I was a bit taken aback, imagine someone who can absolutely not stomach these kind of things. :D

Quote Myles

there is this sausage that tasted rather good, I asked and that was not really sausage, its pig intestine stuffed with meat.

But Myles, my dear young friend, that is precisely what sausages are. Pigs intestines, all those miles of disgusting looking tubes, are what are traditionally used as sausage skins. :)

I use them, so they must be OK!! :D

And if they are not stuffed with meat then you have been cheated - unless they are British sausages in which case you can expect up to 60% breadcrumbs.

You just had to remind us of what they are huh :P Half a bit of Italian sausage was chopped and found it's way into the last lentiletti.

deeeeeeeeeelish

:)

gogo

Perhaps I shouldn't call it sausage, it looks like a corn dog, only it tasted more like a chicken sausage (the ones without any skin). Its deep fried instead of grilled.

Definitely not what I expected (I thought it was corndog with a cheesy chinese name, couldn't be more wrong :P). Um I can't even find a picture of it in goggle. Oh well

I am surprised at your attitude to worms Myles, after all you must be at least Mandarin status. How can you resist this “beautiful cream - golden yellow and of an exquisite flavour” ?

As for your 'sausages' are you sure they were not of "small yellow objects “rather like carp roes”" ?

I had difficulty choosing smilies between :o and :) Take your pick.

haha, yes I'm Chinese. (100% at that, how boring :o)

Its only the mind that's playing tricks with you guys. Worms are more clean than most meat, pig meat for one is full of bacteria and that's y you should never eat it raw.

I will pretend I didn't hear your small yellow object comment. :)

oops, sorry :cow_white:

I will say something that my grandma told me about her visit to the Insectarium in here in Montreal. At the end of the tour, you were invited to feast upon bugs. The ones she particularly though were attractive were the stuffed worms, which she said were shown with beautiful presentation.

Not for me, lol...but maybe when I next come back reincarnated as a bird?

:hugs:

gogo

Thought you were hoping to be reincarnated as a seraphim.

Creeps away to eat humble pie - much better than worms.

• 2 weeks later...