Sacred and Fraps...what's the secret?

Guest FrostElfTwin

Guest FrostElfTwin

I downloaded fraps 'cause I thought it would be great to video some of my own antics in Sacred...

but found I couldnt' get it started.

I think it's installed. I put it in a couple of weeks ago, and lost interest.

Now, seeing the super-cool vids by Dred and Schot, I want to share too!

Is there a tutorial out there on the web? I'm not completely clueless with I.T., (I actually work in it), but this one seems to be eluding me atm.

Help!

Err, not much of a secret to it.

Just instal it then play a bit with the settings to see which one gives a good video frame rate/quality ratio (depends on how fast your pc is).

Basically try different combinations of the following:

Half-size/Full-size

25fps/29.97fps

After you find the settings that give the best results start recording videos. However you'll notice that the files produce are really big in terms of file size, that's because the videos are uncompress. To compress them just get VirtualDub which is free. Load the video in it and select a codec for compression. Xvid works pretty well and a bitrate of 1000kbps should be enough. After that just resave the video somewhere and you'll have a compressed version.

That should be enough to create a basic video. I believe VirtualDub also allows you to select which frames to use as well as to add a different audio to the video, but can't really help you here cause I just use Adobe premiere pro for stuff like that instead.

when you have the trial version you can only make video's for 30 seconds ( turns out to be 29.4 with me every time but that's fine ) make sure you have it running in your taskbar... when you start up sacred you should see a yellow number in one of your corners running saying the framerate it does.

a couple of things which are important

A)as a standard fraps uses F9 to start grabbing the first time I press F9 ingame I tend to get a delay of about 5 to 10 seconds ( waking up fraps I s'pose) the next time it works quicker ( so make sure the first time you're save from baddies )

B) because F9 is used in single player it's best to only use fraps in multiplayer....

C) don't try fraps in a loaded server when your pc is not up to it.. it might get you killed :4rofl:

Ahh Frosty this one eludes me too that and the fact my pc is well lets just say seen better days...but a guide (written so I could understand it LOL) would be awesome!

Guest FrostElfTwin

my magic fingers have found a couple of places with fraps guides:

from WoW:

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/articleview.php?id=25

And this is where I found the WoW link, forum thread title:

FRAPS How to Guide(Performance and video capturing) *Please Read*

and this is the link where it is found:

http://mmorpgforum.com/showthread.php?t=331

Big thanks :) to Dr.Indy13 and Dredbanger for answering so quickly! Me want try now! :P

I never could get that to work. In the end I downloaded another recorder that worked nicely. Can't remember the name of it but it was not one of the obvious contenders to fraps.