A journey into... Greed!

Well I finally released my little pet project into the world of Ancaria. :D

Several months ago I decided I wanted to try a greedy dwarf. I suppose I could have right there and then started a dwarf and built him up as I leveled but I kinda figured that if I was going to be greedy that I may as well go all the way right from the get go. So began the planning. And the shopping. And the rune farming. The forging. The transferring. The tweaking. Oh and finally deciding that, of the many pieces I had shopped for a nd forged for, which of them my little greedy guy would finally wear. For the most part I just haven't had time for him but today I just cracked. I just couldn't wait any longer even though he was not entirely complete. So at long last I set out to seek what all good men and women seek in Ancaria. The drops!

Beginning with a level 4 Dwarf, (I accidentally lvled him 4 lvls from a single bmart quest... Doh!), he had a level 254 Greed CA, his gear made a total Chance of finding Special Items +300(+173%) and a Survival Bonus of 97%. :dance:

Today I lvled him up to 20 and I am happy to say that his first run went very nicely. And here is the batch of goodies he picked up during his lvling from 4 to 20. :)

Thodran Amfist's Rage Set

Thodran.gif

Rideg Stumel's Vision Set

Rideg.gif

Uniques and other class set

Proficient Barbed Gauntlets, Faec's Shoulder Guards, Metal Helmet, Thorwens's Protector, Wide Dagger of Raab-Sisters, Dralkcib's Hips, Tadriel's Leather Gloves

Mixed.gif

Well all I can say is that I can't wait to play in silver with this Lucky Dwarf. I'll be back with more of my findings and an explanation as to how I set him up!

I can't believe, lol...Finally, you let the dwarf out of level one? Someone break out the beers.

Great looking pix though, and I'm curious to know what your special take on the greediest of them all turns out like. I know Sil's got a dwarft that...I kid you not...pops out a unique almost every four kills. Dwarves get all the luck.

:dance:

gogo

Hehe. I'll defintely have some more goodies to show But it looks like I'm going to have to buy some new stuff for this Dwarf. He's still got his level 1-ish gear on and it doesn't handle too well in silver. time to shop I guess. :)

I noticed interestingly enough that of the drops shown above there is a majority of items there that are Dwarf. A significant amount actually. Just goes to show that not only is MF giving me better drops but it is also giving drops that are my char class for the most part. Looking good because I reeeeaally need some decent Thar items for my level 60 forging dwarf.

Having a blast with this one! :)

the level 254 greed is nice beyond doubt, but try to get your hands on full eros. I am wearing 4x eros ring, got 4 of em socketed, some kleb-dracad jewlery, and the smithing art mf from the dwarf.

apart from my greed I have now over 1k magicfind in my gear.

(get yer hands on a heridon's too, they kick ass for mf)

Guest FrostElfTwin

First off: Schot: Great Schot!!

(Just had to say that.)

*holds breath*

(I'm holding the terrifyingly bad phrase in)

Wow--the little guy that could.

Interesting that you only got the one Thodran's ring... Perhaps it is one of the Seven. :) I've also found over the years that the ring is the least likely piece to drop from that set too.

Should be very interesting to see what else you find as you level. Particularly when you hit level 30 and Thar Eross can start dropping.

I'd really like to know where the Thodran's ring dropped... and any Thar rings too. :bow: Just in case there are specific places that do better than others.

Rock on Schot! :)

the level 254 greed is nice beyond doubt, but try to get your hands on full eros. I am wearing 4x eros ring, got 4 of em socketed, some kleb-dracad jewlery, and the smithing art mf from the dwarf.

apart from my greed I have now over 1k magicfind in my gear.

(get yer hands on a heridon's too, they kick ass for mf)

So, promatlolya...what level is your Dwarf? :)

While my dwarf is indeed greedy, his greed is far from 255. Some day I'll get it up there, just to see. But my MF from items and from greed exceed 1200 if I'm not mistaken.(I have about 6-7 thar ring socketed and a couple of rings with even more MF) I was wondering how much is too much. LOL!

I applaud your efforts Schot. Your experiments inspire me in many of my builds.

Well folks. If you're wanting to understand this greed and are feeling that its an awful lot of work and preparation to do then I have a nice surprise for you. It's always a treat to play with the HC community and I have been the recipient of much generosity. So with a big thank you I'd like to return the kindness of the awesome HC community with a gift. From the following link you will be able to download an exported version of my dwarf when he was level 1. In his inventory you will find a fair bit of gold, around 2 million I think, an MF suit, a trading suit and some very valuable jewelry. I hope you enjoy him as much as I have so far. :(

Green Luck Dwarf

This is a Hero.pax file. It is a single file that contains the data of a single game character. What you need to do is put this file in your C:\Program Files\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred Underworld\save folder. Note that the filename of the file you can download from this link is Hero00.pax. You have 8 char slots that you can use and the Hero00.pax I am giving you will take the spot farthest to the left once you drop this file into the save folder so be careful that you don't overwrite a character that you value. It's really late right now so if I haven't been clear enough or if you need extra help then feel free to ask here. :) Enjoy!

@Prom:

Ah I would love to get some Thar Eross rings on this guy Prom. Believe me I would! Sadly he's still too young to find any as Frosty mentioned that Thar Eross only begins to drop at level 30. So until then I'll have to wait because for now this dwarf is level 26. Almost there! :drinks:

@Llama:

The armor he began with was bought by another of my dwarves. My char level 3 trading dwarf who has a level 40 trading. I shopped primarily for equipment with max possible sockets and high rsm. After buying the suit I sent the suit up to my max forger to do his handy work. About half or more of the sockets recieved MF forging, 3 +1 all Combat Arts were forged and the rest of the sockets recieved forged % to all dmg types.

Ah FrostElf. Those elusive rings eh! Well I'm afraid I don't remember exactly when/where I found the two Thodran rings. For the record I found a 2nd Thodran ring shortly after starting this topic using this dwarf. What I can say is it was either west of PV town. The goblins and orcs. Or near Khorad-Nur. I spent most of the time near Khorad-Nur. I do recall where I found the Thar Eross ring that dropped during last weeks Kamikaze though. It was a very memorable moment, lol. Just outside/above Ahil-Tar Oasis is where I found my precious Thar ring. :4rofl:

@Silearth:

When is it too much? It's never enough! Haha. I'm kinda thinking that a level 255 Greeds penalty to defense is much more detrimental to a high level char than it is to a low level char. Just think of it. What does a level 1 char have to lose really? We start out with what? Maybe 100 defense? That said I'm thinking it might be wise to never go to the max with greed... Not sure about that though.

• 3 months later...

Been a long time since I've been able to have fun with this little wonder but the other day I had a bit of fun with him aaaaand... (This is for you Frosty, lol) I got my first Thar Eross drop in the Orc Cave! Woohoo! :)

TharErossRing.jpg

And here's some various uniques and sets I got during levels 36-38.

goodies.gif

Sadly I was consumed by, umm, greed and so my damage was a bit too low. I just socketed way too much MF and not enough dmg, haha. Next round will be much much better. At this point I'm only playing him in empty servers so that he won't level too fast. Can't wait till the next run! :D

Hehe, nice drops there Schot :)

The one thing I noticed about the greedy dwarf is that in some place he gets amazing drops and in others he gets almost nothing. VOT was great for levelling but the drops never seemed good.

I have an early niob greedy dwarf with max greed and realativley high MF. After lots of testing and exlploring to find the best areas, he still seemed to get the best/most drops in the same 3 places. These were the dry river run to the east of Khorad with the skelly-mage mobs, the shaddars and DE mobs in Zhurag and to a lesser extent the mobs in purgatory. Out of the 3 though, it would have to be the dry river run for the best drops closley followed by Zhurag.

Anyone else find some others that give lots of drops?

When testing a max greed dwarf out on my lan I also found the spider desert, Orc Cave and Ghost Cave to be productive. I haven't been brave enough yet to try a dwarf out on HC but I figure with in the next couple weeks I will be doing so

Oh I've not tried the areas you've suggested Dobs. I will definitely try those areas out. :lol: I would agree with you on VoT as well. I've never had very good drops in that area. VoT is far from my list of MFing areas.

@Evil:

Oh I should try out the ghost cave and Shaddar-Nur spiders. So much for my lil greedy guy to do! :P

I'll be working on a new tactic of MFing without increasing experience very soon. Mwahaha!

Hehe, nice drops there Schot :4rofl:

The one thing I noticed about the greedy dwarf is that in some place he gets amazing drops and in others he gets almost nothing. VOT was great for levelling but the drops never seemed good.

I have an early niob greedy dwarf with max greed and realativley high MF. After lots of testing and exlploring to find the best areas, he still seemed to get the best/most drops in the same 3 places. These were the dry river run to the east of Khorad with the skelly-mage mobs, the shaddars and DE mobs in Zhurag and to a lesser extent the mobs in purgatory. Out of the 3 though, it would have to be the dry river run for the best drops closley followed by Zhurag.

Anyone else find some others that give lots of drops?

This goes hand in hand with what the devs said a long time ago:

Boss monsters (eg: Orc Chieftains, Skeleton Mages) and lots of 'em give you better chance of drops and 4 to 5 chances each.

Which is why orc cave (or any cave that either spawns a boss or spawns one just outside) is great. Monotonous, but great.

This would also be why the mounted Shaddar Rims at the church in Zhurag are also good. They're bosses! :3lmao:

So goblin shamans of the goblin lawn (Silver Creek to PV) should also prove fruitful.

I'm trying real hard to ignore trolls at ZN (and definitely more so wolves) 'cause their drops are dreadful!

Re: Sakkara nest: I've found some items there but regular "promoted" to boss monsters (Orc Chieftain, Skeleton Mage, Mounted Shaddar-Rim) are much better item droppers. Giant Spiders have also proved to be a good source of items for me.

My question is still this: Can anything drop from Orc Chieftain? Skeleton Mage? Mounted Shaddar Rim?

Ages ago someone said that, for instance, Meg-Anid's Blizzard items dropped more on snow-covered ground than elsewhere. Is this true for Greedy Dwarves? Or is this "it happened to me so it must be true!" (too small a sample size) location variation?

My question is still this: Can anything drop from Orc Chieftain? Skeleton Mage? Mounted Shaddar Rim?

Ages ago someone said that, for instance, Meg-Anid's Blizzard items dropped more on snow-covered ground than elsewhere. Is this true for Greedy Dwarves? Or is this "it happened to me so it must be true!" (too small a sample size) location variation?

I've always wondered the same frosty. Even though the drops are the best in those areas, it did seem to be the same group of drops over and over with the occasional different one thrown in.

Suddenly changing area would seem to yeild different drops or...... could this just be my imagination :)

I've always wondered the same frosty. Even though the drops are the best in those areas, it did seem to be the same group of drops over and over with the occasional different one thrown in.

Suddenly changing area would seem to yeild different drops or...... could this just be my imagination :yay:

err sorry for the double post. I tried to edit the first post but for some reason it just posted the same message again :)

Edited by Dobster

lol Dobster. No problem. :yay: Would you like me to fix it up for you? Just let me know what you'd like there. :)

You know... It could have been that in order to inspire players to MF in many areas rather than staying in one spot all the time the Devs may have made it so certain items are more likely to drop in certain areas. Would stand to reason I think. Hard to prove once and forever though. :yay:

Haha, oh it's a lot of fun getting so many nice drops very early in the levels Total. It can take bit a of time to prepare the Dwarf but its well worth it!