30 Days of Nights

Guest FrostElfTwin

Guest FrostElfTwin

Standard American Horror Movie:

Good looking leads (sherriff, female fire marshal) try to help townsfolk survive when the vampires show up.

The vampires have handpicked a small town that is within the 30 days of night region ---that is, the sun won't shine for a loooong time.

There's a lot of suspense, loud noises, strong-fast vampires, gore, and nobility (from the humans). The vamps are portrayed as sadists.

I enjoyed the film... got quite riled up about it... and so... had MANY ideas about how the humans could survive even while they were so thoroughly physically inferior...

As my friend said, "If they did that, there wouldn't BE a movie!"

One thing that got me is: after 30 days of solid night, the first dawn would be for a very short day indeed. So, surviving to 30 days shouldn't be the goal. Surviving beyond that should.

So on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 low, 10 high)

character: 8

gore: 8

suspense: 9 (tight camera shots a lot)

strategy: 8 (for vamps) 4 (for humans)

Frosty nice job with the review...you got me interested. I love vamp movies. I've often thought that most of the other horror constructs can often be cheesy, but vamps are classy. I think a few of the vamp movies I enjoyed were Salem's Lot, and Lost Boys. And your description of the time period for the town also adds interest. Working against the clock has always been a feature of vamp movies as the hero or heroine attempt to get those stakes driven in before the coming of the night.

Youre giving gore an 8 on ten for this?

This I gotta see.

:)

gogo

• 4 months later...

Frosty you didn't say HOW good this movie was.

This movie was REALLY good.

Sadistic vampires? zomg, that doesn't even begin to cover it. It's possibly the best horror movie I've seen in the last five years. A movie that concerns itself with vampires all being about creating despair, misery and pain for there human cattle. And woah...no holds barred here. I couldn't believe what our heroes had to do...couldn't believe what they lost finally at the end of the movie. The ending took me by surprise. Great!

From the first few minutes, the cinematography, music, sounds...all held me captive. Loved the language the vampires spoke, loved their intonation, just pretty much liked so much about this movie...that whole Childen of Men approach with the aerial views on the slaughter...

wow, good to know there's still things out there being made that can terrify us like this.

And here's the interesting thing...about fifteen minutes into this movie, the entire concept so intrigued me that I stopped the movie, and googled Barrow.

Turns out that in real life the period of time in Alaska when the sun sets isn't thirty days...

It's sixty

How's that for horror.

:sweating:

gogo

Gogo I stopped watching this movie mid way! And now you are making me watch it to the end. Shame on you if it isnt good as you say it is. :) :)

I shouldn't have built it up so much, lol. I just had a fantastic time watching it. Take your time and enjoy it, with so much horror schlock out there these days...when you finally get your hands on the real thing...

enjoy it

:)

gogo

This movie is pretty good, but slightly different as they dont have big arsle canine teeth, just many small ones :) but otherwise it was quite bloody as a vamp movie should be. Id give it an 7.5 of 10 :)

• 1 month later...