Unlimited Bandwidth...only the stuff of myth now?

gogoblender

sigh

We just got told by our isp (Bell Canada) that no matter what we do , there is a thirty gig cap, or some kind of cap on downloads

:)

Bell Canada is not offering any type of unlimited bandwidth at all anymore, they're trying to do a "metered" kind of thing above thirty gigs.

noooooooooooooooo

Will internet go the way of billing like on cellphones?

noooooooooooo

Alas...the days of old...gone...

gogo

p.s. however... a good bit of shennaniggin on the phone this morning got our bill reduced from 45.00 a month ( they raised it from 19.99 a month unlimited :didi: ) to 27.00 a month with a thirty gig cap and two megs extra of speed to a top of 7.

Eh... Just outta curiosity, since I have absolutely no idea how much data is transferred when playing online games...

How many gigs do you end up with when you play Sacred or any other online game for lets say two hours a day?

30 gigs sounds like a lot, I mean.

hmmmm that sounds so annoying :bounce: cant you just find another ips that have unlimited bandwidth ?

as internet is being used more and more I cant really see how this can be they way things are going :D (and thats a good thing)

over here all the isp´s have unlimited bandwidth

hope you find a new isp :drunkards:

Bandwidth is a finite resource for companies so sadly it’s the way things are heading.

It’s been going on for some time here. The fight against piracy is the usually quoted reason, but I just dont see ISPs as that noble. Especially when the leading IPS in Hungary openly discriminates – ADSL users have no limitations while cable users used to have around 40 Gb limit (its been raised, but there’s a limit still) So dont tell me they’re fighting piracy with this, cause Im not buying. We had an amusing case a few years back when this ISP cancelled contracts of those using the most bandwidth, citing economical reasons. Not that it had any right to do so because they all had contracts for unlimited bandwidth. :drunkards:

But anyway, they seem to provide better service with caps: the cable service is very solid (mostly) while with ADSL you have to expect 2-3 MBit lower speed than what you're paying for. A friend of mine have a supposedly 8Mbit connection, but he has never ever got higher speed then 4 Mbit. And it's fairly common. And there's nothing you can do about it. So here it seems to be either caps or lower speeds :bounce:

Do you really need unlimited? Surely you need enough (how much is enough is a different kettle of fish).

In the UK most ISPs advertise "unlimited" BB, though they have a "fair useage" policy & often throttle the DL speed for heavy users. I did see an interesting argument for caps, if you get a lowered ping instead (and ping is more important than DL limits, as long as you have enough)...

And lets not confuse bandwith/speed & download limits.

c'mon llama... we just want it!

:P

gogo

p.s. on a serious note, the thirty gig cap doesn't seem that bad, and... we can always buy bigger packages. I just hate the way the world seems to want to bill me for every laugh and every second these days.